Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ArmA II (PC)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Well apparently this game is more CPU demanding then GPU which isn't surprising. Seriously though games developers make my life easier and start developing multi core processing for your games, my 3 cores of my Q6600 gather dust!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Jackalxx

Stev_o wrote: »
    Well apparently this game is more CPU demanding then GPU which isn't surprising. Seriously though games developers make my life easier and start developing multi core processing for your games, my 3 cores of my Q6600 gather dust!

sweet so how is the performance on your cores,
    i got a quad 9650 3.0ghz

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

ooh, something to stress my i7 920!
    I'll wait for the demo tho.

i just got it in gamestop naas,il post how it runs etc,1st impressions

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,244 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

jackoire wrote: »
    Just bought arma 2 in GAME for 35euro. :D
    Will report back with my FPS etc.

Got it in gamestop for 29.99 :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,244 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

1.02 changelist.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=75075

We are planning to release ARMA II Patch 1.02 soon but I can't confirm specific time yet.

It will be around 125 MB large download compatible with all game versions 1.00 DE and 1.01 DE/CZE/INTERNATIONAL.

Version 1.02 Highlights

* Improved AI driving skills
    * Lowered enemy AI skills for regular and recruit difficulty levels
    * Improved Micro AI tactics, attack in pairs, path limiting to avoid passing through walls.
    * Fixed multiplayer session NAT negotiation
    * Improved game stability (various crash opportunities fixed)
    * Multiple save slots supported
    * Improved terrain shape beyond map borders
    * Various campaign and localization fixes and improvements
    * Modules (F7) support added in the Mission Editor
    * Added option to disable various post-process effects (bloom, blur etc.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

the ****ing game cant even install da058ne252l7kgbetoz.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Got it installed fine, but I'm f*cked if I can play the second mission. I'm to invade a town, but there's a tank in the way. It just blows the sh*t out of me and my men and I've no weapons to fight it. Anyone know what you're supposed to do?

• Advertisement

Use the BFG!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Anyone know if this is one of those games you can buy at retail and then plug the cd key into Steam for automatic updates and stuff?

Stephen wrote: »
    Anyone know if this is one of those games you can buy at retail and then plug the cd key into Steam for automatic updates and stuff?

No, Steam version is separate and doesn't come out until the 30th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Con.

any story with where to find the first patch? i can only find a german one.
    game is fun though. worth the 29.99 so far! :)

Edit: oops didn't spot spears post

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

humanji wrote: »
    Got it installed fine, but I'm f*cked if I can play the second mission. I'm to invade a town, but there's a tank in the way. It just blows the sh*t out of me and my men and I've no weapons to fight it. Anyone know what you're supposed to do?

RPG?

If all else fails steal another enemy vehicle and use it against it.

Or the auld sneak up on the tank while it's crew are turned out and kill them.

You could even try going around the tank aswell i guess.

How are you finding it so far?

absolutley brilliant,runs perfect, got a blue screen earlier for some reason but playin all night and no probs.
    the editor the the most fun,some craic bailling out of the osprey into enemy territory to escape and evade behind enemy line style lol

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I'm dead with impressed with this. For €29.99 I'm very happy with my purchase.

I heard horror stories of bugs and really low performance but I'm not having anything so far.

Its tough enough to run but not terrible. I will be playing at a lower resolution than normal 1280x720 and a few settings like terrain detail and object detail down to normal or high and it seems good to go. The game doesn't support anti aliasing unlike the first ArmA which is dissapointing in a way but its not a thing I'd run unless I had a more powerful PC anyway.

Graphically the game is quite nice. I love the dust effects off choppers and how dark night time is that it actually warrants using night vision and its not actually a useless checklist feature like so many other games.

The sheer scale of the game enviroment is awesome. Textures detail seems very good overall. One or two minor graphical issues like texture flickering on buildings in the distance (common bug in many games) but nothing too bad.

I had a quick look at the single player, and have completed most of the tutorials which unlike Armed Assault where not actually bugged (before being patched) and are completable.

Tried the first campaign mission and the freedom to choose weather to complete optional secondary objectives you discover during the course of a mission is a pretty cool concept. Some interesting RPG elements in the game

I don't want to go to far into the single player campign as I want to play it in co-op and I'll probably wait for at least the first patch to hopefully iron out the single player bugs, as from past expirence I'm sure they do exsist.

From a A.I point of view still pathing finding issues for units particularly with vehicles in confined spaces.

From a U.I point of view its the same as the older games. I'm use to it by now and got the hang of it quick enough, but I don't regard it as newcomer friendly. But now they have added two additional layers on top. A general commander interface which is basically for commanding larger formations of units, and build menu for building bases....almost like a first person RTS which I think is a really awesome addition.

Audio ranges from very good to bad. I noticed some explosions cause other audio sounds to cut out completely for a few seconds which also happened in Arma 1. Command speak and replies sound like they are from the original Operation Flashpoint and the lead character has a total inability to control the volume of his voice! often shouting at rather inappropriate times. Then again sound effects are awesome.

Anyway hopefully I'll find 4 other players to do the campaign in co-op with on expert over ventrillo.
    Anyone interested can let me know on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Might pick this up after work. Anyone know if they sell it in Xtravision?

Jim wrote: »
    Might pick this up after work. Anyone know if they sell it in Xtravision?

xtravision isnt great for pc games,
    GAME and gamestop are best bets

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Game are selling it for €34.99
    Gamestop for €29.99

Not sure about extra vision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭jackoire

I have been unlucky to have 2 bugs in training mode. Also have some graphical bugs with the 4870X2(2gb) mostly with fire.Looks like ill need a trainer to get to complete it :(.

But i seem to be getting good performance which is the main thing. Gfx in the game are impressive overall. I do expect OPF2 to be more action packed in online play. But i think the game will get more enjoyable as patches are released.

I would not play online alone though, definately a team based game. So get some friends and get online and have some serious fun. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Jackalxx wrote: »
    xtravision isnt great for pc games,
    GAME and gamestop are best bets
    Aye, but I get off work at 6pm and the only game shop near me is Xtravision.

Anyone run it on Windows 7?
    Found this thread:
    http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=74716&page=3
    I don't know if the patches address the problem but renaming the .exe to Crysis64 seems to offer a FPS boost.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

The patch has been released.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭cashville

This is well worth the 29.99, if you're a fan of the first one then pick it up. They have greatly improved the single player campaign, saying that, it's still a bit ropey.

Multiplayer player is where it's really at. They seem to have taken a lot of the improvements made in the ACE mod and added them to the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭cashville

humanji wrote: »

When you run down through the forest at the start one of the first guys you kill has a big shiny RPG.....this+tank= ka-plow

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Thanks, I thought I had searched all the guys. I guess I missed one. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Installing game now, 35 blips.

4870, core duo , optimistic :o

if anyone is interested in starting up and irish clan or even just a group so we can play coop etc for the craic let me know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Whats all the fuss about performance? :)

Runs perfectly , installed game then patch straight after. Looks and runs very very nicely.

Now wheres my action key :D half my keys not set lil blank spaces on controls.

Advertisement