Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ArmA II (PC)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Parser

This is the first game I've bought in quite some time.

Got it in the post this morning from Play.com and it's working fine so far. The best thing about it is with official patches and user made content, it's just going to get better.

We should have a boards.ie online session some night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

Parser wrote: »
    This is the first game I've bought in quite some time.

Got it in the post this morning from Play.com and it's working fine so far. The best thing about it is with official patches and user made content, it's just going to get better.

We should have a boards.ie online session some night.
    yeah theres always great user made stuff....

in 1 i had the irish defence forces and got a styer as well for them

no sopwith :(

and the game really needs to get better boats

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Undead

Its quite confusing, i joined a mp game and it was like being thrown in the deep end..what are my objectives? who's doing what...very disorganized and un-military like

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I have absolutely no doubt that this game will be FOOKIN amazing in time. I mean I can actually remember the 1st one being terrible and today with all the patches its a great game and still played by millions of peeps.

Now back to Arma 2, the patch fixes things mostly you would not notice straight away like AI etc....I have to say I have no issues at all and it plays very very well. One thing I have to say is that my game does not look like any of the vids on you tube etc and I have everything maxed and a view distance of 10,000 (highest) The vids on you tube have the mountains and trees really dark and full its not like that on my machine, the trees at top level are a tad see through. Its not the best looking game but its more then adequate for playing and the gameplay is great.

As was said in another post...I too was playing last night and I too got 6 kills in about 2 hours play and I swear I earned them bad boys....I drove about 30 miles to the "HOT ZONE" got fired upon and had to leave my jeep, ran about 10 miles came into the hot zone from the back which was a total fluke but had a super zoom on my M16 and my good the whole town was looking for this "LONE SNIPER".....eventually I got killed but my god it was tense and I loved it....it really gives you and impression of true war. NO EASY KILLS IN THIS GAME!!!!

Undead wrote: »
    Its quite confusing, i joined a mp game and it was like being thrown in the deep end..what are my objectives? who's doing what...very disorganized and un-military like

Not being smart here mate but its only like that to you (and me for that matter) because we are new. If you are a vet of the old game you would be getting massive kills and know exactly what you have to do.

When you start get your weapons and ammo and go to the map (m) zoom out and see the big red circle, that where you have to go and do a task. So then you look for a way to get there. Try to see a yellow box marked 1 or 2....there are mobile spawn points that others have earned by getting there. Dont worry about squads n **** just yet....just head there and try to kill dudes. If no helicopters going there, Move to the main flag pole at the base and hit enter and you can select where you want to teleport to. And away you go......:eek:

Remember, when you think there is no one around thats when you DIE...I swear I am like a commando 24/7 in this game and I last alot longer then most.

• Advertisement

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Not being smart here mate but its only like that to you (and me for that matter) because we are new. If you are a vet of the old game you would be getting massive kills and know exactly what you have to do.

When you start get your weapons and ammo and go to the map (m) zoom out and see the big red circle, that where you have to go and do a task. So then you look for a way to get there. Try to see a yellow box marked 1 or 2....there are mobile spawn points that others have earned by getting there. Dont worry about squads n **** just yet....just head there and try to kill dudes. If no helicopters going there, Move to the main flag pole at the base and hit enter and you can select where you want to teleport to. And away you go......:eek:

Remember, when you think there is no one around thats when you DIE...I swear I am like a commando 24/7 in this game and I last alot longer then most.

No offense taken i know what your saying, im a hardcore Xbox 360 gamer so ive yet to play something this authentic on the 360,(until Op Flashpoint comes out :P)

Learning curve and that i suppose, aside from the dumb AI and odd crash(its not my pc, its a fookin huge dell gaming thing my bf got me it runs Company of Heroes full blast perfect) but yea apart from those small gripes it is a really addictive and good game, im loving the campaign, except when my option to call transport disapears and my fuel and repair requests are ignored lol.

ive yet to play something this authentic on the 360,(until Op Flashpoint comes out :P)

OP Flashpoint 2 will be dumbed down console tripe. It doesn't even have a floating crosshair. How can it call itself Operation Flashpoint with a fixed crosshair??? HOW????

Also if you get shot in the head you still live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

OP Flashpoint 2 will be dumbed down console tripe. It doesn't even have a floating crosshair. How can it call itself Operation Flashpoint with a fixed crosshair??? HOW????

Also if you get shot in the head you still live.
    A crosshair doesn't belong in a milsim game full stop. The only crosshair that should be available is your weapon sight. Regarding OPF2 being dumbed down, we will have to wait and see. The E3 demo walkthrough cannot be used as a judge of the game due to it being a feature demo. ie, the game is run on minimal difficulty, to show off features without constant restarting. I hope I am right, as consoles are due a good tactical shooter, and I really cannot afford an up-to-date pc to run the new ones such as ArmA2. There are a lot of pc gamers (like myself) that have moved to consoles due to not wanting/being able to upgrade pcs to keep up with the latest games. And there is room for a proper milsim game on the 360s catalogue. I hope the quoted poster is wrong, I really do (I'm sure he/she does too:))

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭cashville

do any of you guys play on a specific server for MP???

if you do let me know, looking forward to some online games.....i'm a big fan of the evolution game type on MP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 mickjohn1

i bought this game today and i was looking forward to it, but when i try to play it i get a really low fps. I put the settings down to the lowest settings and even then i only get about 30fps. Here's what i got:

nvidia Geforce 8500 GT 1gb ddr2, 450mhz core
    3GB RAM
    AMD 5000 dual core 2.6 ghz

and i can play crysis pretty good, medium setting, high res
    anyone know whats wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

That card is two years old and that processor probably isn't the best.

if you had to choose one what would you upgrade, CPU or graphics card

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

cashville wrote: »
    do any of you guys play on a specific server for MP???

if you do let me know, looking forward to some online games.....i'm a big fan of the evolution game type on MP

Coop 30 Evolution =SEALZ= v1.0.Chernarus

sorry amra 2 doesnt save/bookmark IPs from what i can see, i was on this last night hope to be again tonight.

good server

edit http://arma2.swec.se/server/data/106689

handy website that

follow the guys with the stripes, shoot what they shoot :)

Play is a grunt for a few days, then move onto blowing things up with bigger and better ****. Soon enough you will find a class that suits you and a server that plays right.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

mickjohn1 wrote: »
    i bought this game today and i was looking forward to it, but when i try to play it i get a really low fps. I put the settings down to the lowest settings and even then i only get about 30fps. Here's what i got:

nvidia Geforce 8500 GT 1gb ddr2, 450mhz core
    3GB RAM
    AMD 5000 dual core 2.6 ghz

and i can play crysis pretty good, medium setting, high res
    anyone know whats wrong?

Did you patch it?
    Did you try this fix?

I hear it's quite a CPU intensive game but I'd say your card is your weak point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Guys sorry to clog up the thread with specs questions but would the game be playable on this (I don't know much about these things but I doubt it):

3gb RAM
    ATI Radeon X1250
    AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 TL-60 2.00 Ghz

Actually is there anywhere I can check what type of graphics card and processor etc is needed for these type of games?

Thanks.

tribulus wrote: »
    Guys sorry to clog up the thread with specs questions but would the game be playable on this (I don't know much about these things but I doubt it):

3gb RAM
    ATI Radeon X1250
    AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 TL-60 2.00 Ghz

Actually is there anywhere I can check what type of graphics card and processor etc is needed for these type of games?

Thanks.

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest

take a little bit off its results, i find any site that says you CANT then links to a checkout with new parts a bit dubious.

for 30 quid its worth a shot.

yes i did patch it, i will try that nvidia thing, looks promising

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Mmm it says I have 2 processors running giving a 4ghz rating.

Video card is only 128 mb though so that'll probably limit performace a lot.

Thanks for the help.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The X1250 is an integrated laptop graphics card isnt it? If so, then you will have a tough time running the game. Laptop cards are not the best when it comes to running the latest games. Plus 128mb ram is quite low compared to the standard 512mb on most desktop cards nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭T3h Windeh

Kiith wrote: »
    The X1250 is an integrated laptop graphics card isnt it? If so, then you will have a tough time running the game. Laptop cards are not the best when it comes to running the latest games. Plus 128mb ram is quite low compared to the standard 512mb on most desktop cards nowadays.

I'm **** with specs lads, but tell me

A Dualcore 2.7Ghz AMD Athlon x64 bit processor
    A 9800GT
    And 4gb DDR2 memory
    a 750w power supply

Will my PC fare in the battlefield? :o

Game crashed twice since i bought it, installed the patch about fifteen minutes ago and its crashed three times in those 15 minutes already.....patch seems to have f*cked it up.

T3h Windeh wrote: »
    I'm **** with specs lads, but tell me

A Dualcore 2.7Ghz AMD Athlon x64 bit processor
    A 9800GT
    And 4gb DDR2 memory
    a 750w power supply

Will my PC fare in the battlefield? :o

You'd do OK, but only OK. The graphics card is going to hold you to "medium" visuals

You'd do OK, but only OK. The graphics card is going to hold you to "medium" visuals

And if I went the extra mile for the

http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/catalog.cgi?view_product=1&id=25783&sid=14&cid=122&scid=315

Could I bump up fully? :)

i dont really understand the nvidia thing, i think i did it right but i didnt notice any increase in fps

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/catalog.cgi?view_product=1&id=25783&sid=14&cid=122&scid=315

That'd do the job a lot better, though you would need to make sure your motherboard could support it.

This game is "OPTIMIZED" for multiple cores....so if you have a dual or quad you will be in much better shape. Yes it would help to have a high end GPU but its not essential.

Turn off Post Pros. for a start and disable AF try to have some AA and turn down the viewing distance. Disable shadows and lower the res a stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    This game is "OPTIMIZED" for multiple cores....so if you have a dual or quad you will be in much better shape. Yes it would help to have a high end GPU but its not essential.

Turn off Post Pros. for a start and disable AF try to have some AA and turn down the viewing distance. Disable shadows and lower the res a stop.

I knew my Q6600 would come in handy one day huzzah!

The GTS250 is only slightly better than what you already have. Maybe 10% better.

€150 for a marginal increase in performance is not really worth it, but if you are willing to spend ~€200 you can get a card which will be significantly better. Sure what's an extra 50 euro :pac:

Here's some lists of how GPUs stack up against each other to help you make your decision.

tomshardware.com 09 GPU chart

Passmark GPU list (click on the cards name to see a chart)

Your CPU may also be a bottleneck in large scale battles (lots of AI), but unless you are planning a system wide upgrade I'd settle with it.

• Advertisement

The GTS250 is only slightly better than what you already have. Maybe 10% better.

€150 for a marginal increase in performance is not really worth it, but if you are willing to spend ~€200 you can get a card which will be significantly better. Sure what's an extra 50 euro :pac:

Here's some lists of how GPUs stack up against each other to help you make your decision.

tomshardware.com 09 GPU chart

Passmark GPU list (click on the cards name to see a chart)

Your CPU may also be a bottleneck in large scale battles (lots of AI), but unless you are planning a system wide upgrade I'd settle with it.

Cheers mate, and yeah I knew the CPU would bottleneck me in large scale, (Quad Cores :eek:)
    Anyway yeah, I think I'll go with the Radeon 4870 instead. : )

Advertisement