Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ArmA II (PC)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

T3h Windeh wrote: »
    Cheers mate, and yeah I knew the CPU would bottleneck me in large scale, (Quad Cores :eek:)
    Anyway yeah, I think I'll go with the Radeon 4870 instead. : )
    The 4890 is a better card, and only a few quid more expensive.
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/2719635/art/pixmania/radeon-hd4890-1-gb-ddr5-p.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭T3h Windeh

Kiith wrote: »
    The 4890 is a better card, and only a few quid more expensive.
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/2719635/art/pixmania/radeon-hd4890-1-gb-ddr5-p.html

Well for the extra dough I could get 2gb DDR2, Which would perform better?

4GB DDR2

2GB DDR2?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'd probably go with the 4gb and the 4870, but thats just me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭T3h Windeh

Kiith wrote: »
    I'd probably go with the 4gb and the 4870, but thats just me.

Roger roger!
    It'll probably help me more outside of ArmA II as well so I guess 'tis worth it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Did anyone manage to pick up this game in Liffey Valley? Couldn't see it in game or HMV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Stev_o wrote: »
    Did anyone manage to pick up this game in Liffey Valley? Couldn't see it in game or HMV.

got it on saturday there.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    got it on saturday there.

Was it on the Top10 shelf or anything? Staff seemed clueless when i asked them today.

Was it on the Top10 shelf or anything? Staff seemed clueless when i asked them today.

nope dude had to get it from the back, now you mention didnt see any on the shelf :(

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭cashville

how is every1 getting on? still enjoying it/experiencing problems?

i ordered a new graphics card,gonna hold off playin any more til it arrives

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Demo runs at about 40-50 fps but it feels quite jerky. Almost plods along.
    If you're in a vehicle for example vegetation seems to stutter past.

Core i7 920, 6GB RAM, EVGA GTX 275.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Parser

An amended 1.02 patch has been released which fixes a few more things and adds anti-aliasing options.

Can install over 1.00, 1.01 and 1.02.

Patch 1.02.58134

Must get my hands on this now after the demo. This is the proper sequel to OFP and has really blown me away. It's exactly what i hoped it would be and im glad BIS have managed to clean up the mess that was Arma 1 and make a brilliant second game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Well the demo doesnt inspire confidence.
    Its a pile of cack to be honest.
    Constant lag/disconnects,jerky clunky controls, most of all i was bored as hell playing it.
    Initial impressions are its ARMA 1 all over again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Is there any way to disable motion blur?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

You'll probably have to disable it in the config file or turn off all post processing.

Dcully wrote: »
    Well the demo doesnt inspire confidence.
    Its a pile of cack to be honest.
    Constant lag/disconnects,jerky clunky controls, most of all i was bored as hell playing it.
    Initial impressions are its ARMA 1 all over again.

You meet recommend specs? Controls don't feel jerky at all now it's alot more solid then Arma where it was all over the place and the V function is just a brilliant tool.

Is there any way to disable motion blur?

Update to 1.02, gives you a "disable" option under post processing in the advanced graphics settings.

You'll lose HDR and bloom effects as well though.

You can try this to disable motion blur only: Link

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

You meet recommend specs? Controls don't feel jerky at all now it's alot more solid then Arma where it was all over the place and the V function is just a brilliant tool.

quad core cpu,4 gig DDR,4870 1gig DDR5 - yes i meet the requirements.
    It runs silky smooth at well over 100 fps, its not a framerate issue.

I had my first Arma online experience just now.

After joining the game some guy in a Humvee pulled up beside me so I jumped into the front seat and off we went to the objective. The journey took a good 5 minutes, and as we were nearing our destination I could see smoke on the horizon, jets flying overhead and I could hear the crackle of gunfire in the distance.

I hopped out of the Humvee and took cover beside a house, I slowly moved from house to house not really sure if I was going to be killing AI or other players. I peaked around the corner and took a hit from an unseen enemy. A medic on my tail came over and fixed me up.

I looked at my map and saw red indicators showing spotted enemies positions. I got all excited an prepared myself for a quick dart to the next piece of cover.

Next thing I know I'm staring at a blue screen of death. Not sure if it was Arma's fault or the fault of my hardware. After all of that loading, connecting, loading again, 5 minutes looking at some dude drive, sneaking around houses and all for nothing.

I can't seem to connect to servers. Connecting to the above server seemed to be a fluke. When all of the servers are listed I get no ping from any of them, just a ? mark. It seems any server with a ? will not connect.

Parser wrote: »
    I had my first Arma online experience just now.

After joining the game some guy in a Humvee pulled up beside me so I jumped into the front seat and off we went to the objective. The journey took a good 5 minutes, and as we were nearing our destination I could see smoke on the horizon, jets flying overhead and I could hear the crackle of gunfire in the distance.

I hopped out of the Humvee and took cover beside a house, I slowly moved from house to house not really sure if I was going to be killing AI or other players. I peaked around the corner and took a hit from an unseen enemy. A medic on my tail came over and fixed me up.

I looked at my map and saw red indicators showing spotted enemies positions. I got all excited an prepared myself for a quick dart to the next piece of cover.

Next thing I know I'm staring at a blue screen of death. Not sure if it was Arma's fault or the fault of my hardware. After all of that loading, connecting, loading again, 5 minutes looking at some dude drive, sneaking around houses and all for nothing.

I can't seem to connect to servers. Connecting to the above server seemed to be a fluke. When all of the servers are listed I get no ping from any of them, just a ? mark. It seems any server with a ? will not connect.

GOL server
    RIP servers
    IGI servers

try those servers and make sure you have port 2303 opened for TCP and UDP. its in the manual :P

• Advertisement

dreamers75 wrote: »
    GOL server
    RIP servers
    IGI servers

try those servers and make sure you have port 2303 opened for TCP and UDP. its in the manual :P

Thanks, managed to connect to a server.

Arma 2 online is pretty piss poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Tyrant^

Parser wrote: »
    Arma 2 online is pretty piss poor.

Sadly all new PC games have problems :mad:
    I bet they just polished up Beta a little a sent it out on the shelves !

Tyrant^ wrote: »
    Sadly all new PC games have problems :mad:
    I bet they just polished up Beta a little a sent it out on the shelves !

This is the most complex game out at the moment there was bound to be bugs. Thankfully BIS are a decent developer and are quick with massive patches to fix most of the bugs in the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

This is the most complex game out at the moment there was bound to be bugs. Thankfully BIS are a decent developer and are quick with massive patches to fix most of the bugs in the game.

I'm considering buying this, but think I'll wait for more patches. They didn't get the last one patched to my satisfaction so I'm waiting to see bout this one.

Whats your online name?

Dont think the buddy list is working would like to play with people from here.

Mine is Kdjac

I love helicopters. Something as simple as landing at point A, picking up a bunch of troops, and transporting them to point B gives me untold pleasure. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

DUBLINHITMAN
    is my PC gamer name on arma2
    lovin every minute of it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

ArmA was a great game, flawed... but amazing in it's scope. ArmA II is unbelievable. No, not in the good way. ArmA II manages to somehow break every single thing the developers patched in the first game, but in a more epic manner. One of the writers from rockpapershotgun said he had issues with missions where AI guys would be miles away from you, getting into cars instead of choppers and stuff. I couldn't believe it and then it happened to me. Simple scripting bugs aren't excusable in a shipped product. This is AI, in single player mode... nevermind the online bit!

As much as people want to pour love and heart felt warmth at this game I just can't do it. I spent good money for a finished product that is no more finished then something flat-packed from IKEA. The bones are there, they just haven't been assembled properly.

Hopefully they fix it, but for me it won't be quick enough. By the time it's fixed (judging by timescales of ArmA, which is still broken in fairness) Codemasters will have released Op Flash 2...

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I think ArmA is pretty much in good order with the latest patches and they are currently beta testing a new patch.

As for waiting on OP Flash 2, I'm starting to have doubts reading some of the stuff on the offical forum. But I'll just have to wait and see.
    What I really want is 4 other people over coms to the do the campign in co-op in Arma 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

co-op campaign is not playable at the moment very very buggy both from personal experience and reading forums.

Squad multi player is better but still prone to bugs.

a nice "different" video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t911Yj3BZGM

also this one is pretty good too and really shows off the animation, particulary the running soldiers and the tank recoiling as it is hit
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePrwLMi1fyQ

Advertisement