Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ArmA II (PC)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Its a cool game Im enjoying it,but I keep getting killed,anyone any tips for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

but I keep getting killed,anyone any tips for me?

avoid bullets ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

I'm gonna hold off on ArmA 2 for a while. I bought and played ArmA on and off since release but never gave it the full bash I wanted to. I've been doing so recently and its nice to be able to play it when its working decently. Don't wanna jump into 2 and back into something not working well... just yet.

Really enjoying making missions and playing them with my mates, we've our lads all modded with Irish Army gear muhahahaha :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Co-op is indeed massively buggy. Played with a few friends last night and while the actual gameplay was fun, the bugs just ruined it. For instance, in the very first mission of the campaign there's a part where you go into a barn to talk to a hostage. I somehow got trapped inside the floor. I had to crawl out at a snail's pace and then have one of the other guys do first aid on me. Then at the end of every level everyone gets stuck on a "retrieving data" screen and has to reconnect to the host to get going again :mad:

This was especially infuriating on the next map we played, where you have to flush out a sniper in some old factory building. If anyone in your squad gets killed, its game over and you get the whole map change/mission restart bug again!

I do like my in-game character though. He has ridiculous aviator sunglasses and his voice pitch set to absolute maximum, so when he says his lines in co-op I just burst out laughing :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

Its a cool game Im enjoying it,but I keep getting killed,anyone any tips for me?

Turn off the foilage grass layer. While it looks pretty it makes shooting from prone nearly impossible and the AI is not effected by it.

Should be something they would have fixed as it was a well known problem with ARMA1 to the extent that in one patch the option to remove the grass layer was introduced as a stop gap measure.

• Advertisement

Nice tip, think I'll do that myself.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Stephen wrote: »
    Co-op is indeed massively buggy. Played with a few friends last night and while the actual gameplay was fun, the bugs just ruined it. For instance, in the very first mission of the campaign there's a part where you go into a barn to talk to a hostage. I somehow got trapped inside the floor. I had to crawl out at a snail's pace and then have one of the other guys do first aid on me. Then at the end of every level everyone gets stuck on a "retrieving data" screen and has to reconnect to the host to get going again :mad:

This was especially infuriating on the next map we played, where you have to flush out a sniper in some old factory building. If anyone in your squad gets killed, its game over and you get the whole map change/mission restart bug again!

I do like my in-game character though. He has ridiculous aviator sunglasses and his voice pitch set to absolute maximum, so when he says his lines in co-op I just burst out laughing :pac:

(a) You fell through the floor because you were a noob, It's quite plain to see this feature is an homage to Hidden & Dangerous. Next thing you know Azza will be complaining about not being able to avoid the grenades we threw at him.

(b) You got stuck on retrieving data because of your crappy internet. Folks, Stephen's internet connection is a golden retriever that fetches data packets in tesco bags from the exchange down the road. The bags have holes in them and most of the packets drop out. Many packets also come back wet and soggy.

(c) I later found the Sniper. I Win. He only killed me 6 times. This is within acceptable limits.

(d) As a consolation, some modder is bound to make a roflcopter for this.

I am absolutely noob at this, I still can't remember all the controls... of which there are many.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

All you need to remember is K for Kompass :p Glows in the dark for extra "woooo" ness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

Sooo...is this really the true successor to Operation Flashpoint? I absolutely adored that game but nothing else has come close. Unfortunately I don't have the PC spec to play it (but it's tempting me away from the Mac...) so I have to rely on others opinions!

• Advertisement

I had played through the whole first mission stumbling around in the dark yesterday before I realised I had nightvision :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I ran over Max with a motorbike. He bounced off a portacabin and died.

This was my proudest moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Elessar wrote: »
    Sooo...is this really the true successor to Operation Flashpoint? I absolutely adored that game but nothing else has come close. Unfortunately I don't have the PC spec to play it (but it's tempting me away from the Mac...) so I have to rely on others opinions!

No ArmA was the successor, and this is the successor to ArmA :p

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

God the bugs are terrible. The chopper AI is suicidal.

On the other hand, there's not too many games where you can genuinely have the following conversation over Steam chat:

Bubbles the anally abused chimp: you playing multiplayer?
    18:35 - Blanket Jackson: hunting down a war criminal
    18:35 - Blanket Jackson: all i know is he's heading north, so I took a chance on him using the main road. Me and my squad are setting up an ambush. Also, just shot a rabbit.
    18:36 - Blanket Jackson: just hope the heli brought us ahead of him on time and that damn intel was on the money for a change. Wish I hadn't lost that UAV earlier. Pretty sure I may need to use a bathroom.

It's a brilliant mission. Find two war criminals. They're somewhere on the map. All 225 km sq of it. You have guns, a UAV, jeeps and a heli at your disposal. That's it. Go track them down somehow. The heli appears to be strongly attracted to trees, which are clearly magnetic.

Jumpy wrote: »
    I ran over Max with a motorbike. He bounced off a portacabin and died.

This was my proudest moment.

I was a passenger in a jeep being driven by Sye. Just stting back when he crashed it and a message came up saying I had teamkilled him.

I can't win.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Maximilian wrote: »
    God the bugs are terrible. The chopper AI is suicidal.

On the other hand, there's not too many games where you can genuinely have the following conversation over Steam chat:

Bubbles the anally abused chimp: you playing multiplayer?
    18:35 - Blanket Jackson: hunting down a war criminal
    18:35 - Blanket Jackson: all i know is he's heading north, so I took a chance on him using the main road. Me and my squad are setting up an ambush. Also, just shot a rabbit.
    18:36 - Blanket Jackson: just hope the heli brought us ahead of him on time and that damn intel was on the money for a change. Wish I hadn't lost that UAV earlier. Pretty sure I may need to use a bathroom.

It's a brilliant mission. Find two war criminals. They're somewhere on the map. All 225 km sq of it. You have guns, a UAV, jeeps and a heli at your disposal. That's it. Go track them down somehow. The heli appears to be strongly attracted to trees, which are clearly magnetic.

Ha reminds me of a mission i played with 5 other lads in Arma about 2 years ago. Basically we were put on the western side of the main island with no guns or anything and the map did not tell us where we were. Our objective was to get to the main city in the NE (imagine Gibraltar sort of). Thing is there was tons and tons of enemy patrols in the form of armour and infantry. To make matters worse one of the guys was OPFOR and went around in the Cobra attack helicopter trying to get us.

Probably one of the best gaming experiences i ever had, trying to locate where the hell you where you were and what direction you had to travel. We go within i think 800 meters of the city. About 3 of us had managed to meet up and had procceded down a giant mountain into a forest overlooking the city. The our OPFOR friend starting randomly shooting rockets and the like from his Cobra into the forest. Lying there knowing there was sweet f all i could do to improve my chances was just a surreal moment but totally rewarding when we finally made it into the city underacted.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

Downloaded the demo last night.

Found myself getting shot at and killed during the Training bit in Boot Camp when I went testing the anti-tank stuff...:eek: Is that normal?

Pissed me off to start with, then I actually kinda appreciated it.

I am a complete leper wrt the control system. :(

Demo seems a tad buggy though, I got caught in a loop where all I could do was swap between prone and standing no matter what button I pressed.

Ordered the game off Amazon. Don't mind dropping less than <30 on a game which looks like it could be fun, even if all I do is head off into the hills and shoot wildlife for a while.

I do find spotting targets for laser guided bombs to be immensely satisfying.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I had the same problem.
    I guess the AI in the nearby village is bugged.
    You have the choice of doing the anti-tank weapons or clearing the village. Whatever option you pick the village idiots are automatically turned on.

I had another bug in one of the scenarios where I took refuge inside a building and ended up floating around in the air.

It also runs poorly on my PC. Very laggy and slow controls. I can understand that the game should be realistic but I don't think what I'm getting is right.

Yeah, it doesn't feel right, if you know what I mean. No FPS has ever come close to Valve/iD for getting the controls to feel natural.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Stephen wrote: »
    I do find spotting targets for laser guided bombs to be immensely satisfying.

Especially when you focus the laser on Max innocently standing on the ledge below you.

No it wasnt an accident.

Haha. This game is indeed teamkiller heaven if you are that kind of person. Remember Max's grenade bouncing off the tree and hitting Azza? :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Just started playing the full version of the game. Only done training so far, but I am liking it so far.:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I found flying the helicopter and the jet fierce hard in the training mode :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

yeah helicopters are hard.... in arma 1 i was able to get a patch to make em fly easier.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Bought this today in Gamestop for €29.99 with another game free

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The dev diaries will come in handy over time: http://www.arma2.com/arma-2-developeras-diary-no1-basic-controls_en.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackgold>>

Game costs 48 quid on steam, is that the normal price for a downloaded version?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Game costs 48 quid on steam, is that the normal price for a downloaded version?

For steam, yes. But I would strongly urge you to try and find a hard copy, €48 for a download version is a robbery imo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackgold>>

I just bought it i couldn't wait....
    The game looks amzing and i didn't even know it was for online aswell can't wait to play it.

Advertisement