Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ArmA II (PC)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Best experience I had was when me and another guy took a jeep and went cross country to a flag site.

He got out and ran towards it while I hid in the trees with my M107. A gunship then came down from the sky and emptied 2 guys toward the flag which he wasted, then I popped the pilot with the sniper rifle.

We were flying back to our base with the stolen helicopter with him advising the base not to fire on us as we were a friendly flying an enemy heli (well he said all this in very professional army speak, which I found a bit over the top, but man was it realistic).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Jumpy wrote: »
    Best experience I had was when me and another guy took a jeep and went cross country to a flag site.

He got out and ran towards it while I hid in the trees with my M107. A gunship then came down from the sky and emptied 2 guys toward the flag which he wasted, then I popped the pilot with the sniper rifle.

We were flying back to our base with the stolen helicopter with him advising the base not to fire on us as we were a friendly flying an enemy heli (well he said all this in very professional army speak, which I found a bit over the top, but man was it realistic).

That post alone makes me want to go out and buy the game.

Is it normal that I'm not experiencing this with the demo ?

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Ponster wrote: »
    That post alone makes me want to go out and buy the game.

Is it normal that I'm not experiencing this with the demo ?

Yeah except after that, the guys mom could be heard saying that his dinner was ready and had he been playing that stupid game all day; you know what we talked about. Homework comes first. Your father meant it when he said he would take that blasted computer out of your bedroom. Call your sister. What do mean she's called over to Cindy's. etc.

I imagine.

Massively steep learning curve. Demo users wont have the ability yet to do anything bar mess around until they learn stuff.
    This guy was from the original ARMA, he knew the ins and outs and was actually talking to me while standing next to me.
    I couldnt figure out how he was doing it as his mouth was moving and everything, and the voice faded out as he walked away. Apparently there is a Direct channel for talking to people standing next to you.
    He talked as if he was military himself, as did all the other players on the server.
    Max was on that server as well for a while. He decided rather than to use a road he would take the transport truck down the train tracks :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I couldnt figure out how he was doing it as his mouth was moving and everything, and the voice faded out as he walked away. Apparently there is a Direct channel for talking to people standing next to you.

Page 22 of the manual explains how the radio works.

CAPS LOCK to broadcast and fullstop and comma to change "channels" i.e. chat to squad/every in same vehicle/only people close to you....

• Advertisement

MANUALS?

I am shocked sir that you think me incompetent enough that I would require a MANUAL!

*thumbs to page 22*

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

im having a lot of fun with the demo......it seems obvious but it really reminds me of operation flashpoint. the demo runs well on my puny computer shockingly.

i was planning on not buying it and waiting until operation flashpoint 2 comes out to compare them but €30 is nothing. it barely covers a trip to the cinema and popcorn these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Finally managed to get a game last night that was pretty much lag free.

I was defending a flag when I noticed with my Binoculars movement in the trees about 500 metres away..there was BMP trying to flank us so I grabbed an RPG and a few rockets and ran to the trees about 100 metres from the flag. went prone and watched as the bmp passed me took out my RPG and fired two shots taking out it's side wheels and Gun. Waited for the survivors to come out and took them out... :D
    Great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭cashville

yes it gets annoying when there's TKers/muppets on the server....but online is brilliant. love a good old game of co-op evolution myself.

if anyone is on for hosting a boardsie game some night let me know....lock it down with a password,keep the tards out..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

We need a boards group, anyone on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭cashville

im about to jump on pog, you hosting?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Sir yes sir!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Parser

I still can't get online.

"Connection Failed" each time. Must be something to do with my internet connection / ISP. I've fixed wireless access which might have something to do with it, but i doubt it as I've no trouble for any other kind of network traffic.

Actually if someone local was hosting a game I might try connect, if someone wants to drop me a pm with the IP address and port :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

Is there a boards group about?

Got the game today, my first online game had its moments but was mostly team killing :(

Yeah, we need to get a boards.ie group together, my gaming last night was a little frustrating, I found it hard to find a server I was happy on.

Anyone interested in forming a group please state Your interest here.

Ill be on for that.

The only trouble with the game finder is that there is no friends list.

Ill be on for that.

The only trouble with the game finder is that there is no friends list.

:rolleyes: Xfire would prob solve that one, it remembers servers also and You can set favorites. I've not tried it with this game as its not installed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭Elessar

Gameplay.co.uk have Arma 2 for £17.99 - for anyone who's interested. Got mine ordered for my new gaming rig :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Mine should arrive in the post today, was a great demo can't wait to play the full game! :D

I look forward to sniping you from 1 km with the M107.

To those guys who were searching for me yesterday. I was on the comms tower over a km away. You werent going to find me :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Just played the demo, it's one fiddly game. Doesn't really do a good job of introducing you to the game either. Like the parachute mission when they give you all the buttons except how to open your parachute then throw you out of the plane.

No graphics problem at all, odd sound problems like hearing birds clear as day inside the cockpit of the helicopter. May buy it in Galway tomorrow.

Anyone up for some gaming tomorrow if we can find a good server, even find an empty one and all join?

Add me on xfire: PogMoTho1n

ScumLord wrote: »
    Just played the demo, it's one fiddly game. Doesn't really do a good job of introducing you to the game either. Like the parachute mission when they give you all the buttons except how to open your parachute then throw you out of the plane.

No graphics problem at all, odd sound problems like hearing birds clear as day inside the cockpit of the helicopter. May buy it in Galway tomorrow.

Single player is crappy enough, MP is where its at, just get the basics and get online. I had a day in the armoury, did the first 3 boot camps and went online, not played anything but online since

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Single player is crappy enough, MP is where its at, just get the basics and get online. I had a day in the armoury, did the first 3 boot camps and went online, not played anything but online since

If you call being thrown into a map, with no real explanation about what you are doing or who you are supposed to kill, then trekking across the map monotonously for ten minutes only to be killed by some guy who's location is a mystery once you get anywhere near the objective fun, well...

The 3 times I've managed to connect to a server it's been evolution and the above is exactly how it pans out every time. I play a computer game to have fun, what I've experienced with Arma2 online is the complete opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Parser wrote: »
    If you call being thrown into a map, with no real explanation about what you are doing or who you are supposed to kill, then trekking across the map monotonously for ten minutes only to be killed by some guy who's location is a mystery once you get anywhere near the objective fun, well...

The 3 times I've managed to connect to a server it's been evolution and the above is exactly how it pans out every time. I play a computer game to have fun, what I've experienced with Arma2 online is the complete opposite.

Military simulations then aren't your cuppa then.

It's like marmite, some will love it and others will detest it.

Parser wrote: »

I could be smart and say RTFM, but I kinda know what You mean, it does throw You in at the deep end. I've got my own way round that, I had my young fella play on mon while I was at work and he ran me through the basics he'd figured :D

Use the spawn point at the flag, it'll take u straight to battle (once the spawn point has been captured, it changes with each assault). Walk to the Flag in the base camp and click action, there's sometimes a second flag with a spawn called Halo which drops u from sky, guide yourself using map (m) and don't open ur chute till u drop to ~100m, try guide Yourself as close to the assault circle as You can (keep out of the assault circle or you'll be shot down before You land).

If You dont get killed on an assault You'll find somebody will give You a lift in a tank/heli/hummvee etc top the next assault point. If its nearby most just run. Chat by using / and ask for a lift

This is a Sim, You'll need to use cover and circle opponents or You'll be shot to bits. No point running through Gung-ho like FPS'ers.

I actually managed to connect to my 4th server just now, and had a better experience than I have before.

I really wish I could have my connection woes with Arma2 solved as I'd like to join a game type where I'm up against humans and not AI.

No real point in wasting time and bandwidth to shoot at AI online when I could do that in single player.

EDIT: I had to look up RTFM....couldn't be arsed to read it. They should provide little snippets of info on the loading screens.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Manual wont tell you whats going on in Domination or Evolution they arent official game modes.

And you dont know what way the game is setup until you join it. Imo a loading screen with the server settings would solve that.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=77507

Great explanation of Domination and Evolution.

edit blue wtf :D

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

nice link dreamers.
    Would deffo be interested in a boards group.

Decided to give have a go with my Trackir in ARMA2. I usually use it for flight sims and so this was my first fps with it.

Bit awkard for first 25mins but now it's working very well. Might just stick with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wXx3vMy_AQ

note this is not me :)

• Advertisement

Here's a brilliant song dedicated to BIS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DLJPr2lyno

"I bought myself a monster rig,
    I spent all of my cash,
    to get 14 frames per second,
    before I crash.

it says receieving then it craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaash..."

Advertisement