Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless commands

Options
  • 02-06-2009 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭

Hi. I live in an apartment and own an eircom broadband connection, which I split the bill with my roommate. I do a lot of work on the internet, and sometimes when I go to upload work, his internet connection slows my connection to a crawl, and I find it impossible to upload work. I've asked him to quit while I upload, but I'm at my wits end. I connect to the router via ethernet cable. I was wondering if there was a way I can cut the wireless off while I upload and then switch it back on when I'm done. There are no buttons on the router (Cisco) so I was wondering if there's a command I can enter. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

If you have admin access to the router you can disable the wireless and then reenable it.

You could also get a router which does load balancing.

You could also just tell him to turn off the uploads or limit them or lose use of the service - given that you're paying for the connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Yeah, I do the paying. Bills are split. I've gotten into the Linksys settings and I've found the Basic Wireless Settings. On Network mode, it has Disable, Mixed (current setting), B-Only and G-Only. I don't know if these are the settings I'm looking for as I dont know what B and G are! Am I in the right direction?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Sanjuro wrote: »
    Yeah, I do the paying. Bills are split. I've gotten into the Linksys settings and I've found the Basic Wireless Settings. On Network mode, it has Disable, Mixed (current setting), B-Only and G-Only. I don't know if these are the settings I'm looking for as I dont know what B and G are! Am I in the right direction?

B and G are two different Wifi standards, though both use the same frequency. You want disabled in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Whats the model router/modem?

The option you are looking for is QoS.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

it may be in the format of a check box to "enable wireless access point"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

The model is the Linksys WAG54G2. This one- http://www.linksysbycisco.com/ANZ/en/products/WAG54G2

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Sanjuro wrote: »
    The model is the Linksys WAG54G2. This one- http://www.linksysbycisco.com/ANZ/en/products/WAG54G2
    leave the QoS alone on that modem, there are reports that it can make things a lot worse rather than better. might be worth trying, but try it and turn it off it it doesn't help.

On Network mode, set it to Disabled (assuming as you said your options are B, G or disabled) and that will cut off the wireless. turn it back to G when you're done to turn the wireless back on.

of course, if you want to permanently slow him down, just switch it to B and it will cut down the maximum wireless speed by almost 5 times. whether or not that's enough to inhibit his effect on your uploads depends on the overall speed of the broadband and how fast he's connected wirelessly, but it might be worth a shot to see if it helps. if there's a wall or two between his pc and the modem then bringing down the wireless mode to B (an older standard, max. speed of 11mbps instead of the 54mbps for the G standard) might be just what the doctor ordered. ;)

Advertisement