Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monkey in Banana Throwing Controversy

Options
  • 02-06-2009 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭

After getting a ban from AH for being racist, I would like to appeal the decision.

New Poster last night "Nigerian Man", was talking about Gods and speaking in CAPITALS, I made a comment, "Somebody throw that man a banana"

I meant it as shut the fool up, I was not trying to be racist or even funny racist, it was just a comment that i've used plenty of times before.

the Almighty has banned me for a week. He has given me permission to let the people at the help desk decide if it's warranted

thanks
    dm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I think you said something stupid.

Not necessarily malicious, but *really* stupid in the context of that thread none the less. A weeks ban seems fair, and perhaps you'll be a little bit more thoughtful in future with your comments :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

bump, It's a very bad call by the Almighty...

I was not being racist by saying "throw that man a banana"

I have plenty of genuine reasons to dislike Nigerians and their skin color is not one of them.

It was one of those shut him up comments, nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

So you wanted to say "tell him to be quiet" and instead you said "throw that man a banana" to a poster called 'Nigerian Man'?

That's a bit Irish, isn't it?

...see? Take your week.

Am I the only one that's ever used that phrase? I'm not a racist, therefore it couldn't have been a racist comment. It was just a comment.
    I pride myself on being open to different people and cultures. Looks like i'm being branded just another racist paddy which is as you say a bit Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I'm not a racist...

but..

"throw that man a banana".

Come on now!

You don't have to be black to get a banana thrown at you, do you think they have an exclusive rights on being apes? Shoud I have said, throw that man a burger or then would I be racist against white folk.
    It's very easy for the PC brigrade to jump on any comment when there's a coloured man in the room and start chanting racist.

I must have heard that phrase 15 odd years ago and i've been using it ever since.

If somebody wants to take it as a racist comment, that's what they take from it, that does in no way mean it was meant as racist.

Just for the record "Nigerian Man" did not report me or take offence, It was a pale face that accused me of being racist. I'm drunkmonkey, if i want to throw a banana I will, I couldn't give a contenintal what colour your painted.

This is a stupid situation, a monkey being accused of being racist for throwing a banana.

Accusing me of making a racist comment, is calling me a racist, and that's where I take offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

..must...resist..urge..to..lenghten..ban..

Seriously. As explained in my first post - you chose a phrase to use, and chose extremely badly. Your intent is noted, but it doesn't negate how it came across.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Y
    Accusing me of making a racist comment, is calling me a racist, and that's where I take offence.

And I take offense at you thinking we're idiots.
    Your comment was racist.
    If you don't get that, then it is time you took a long, hard look at yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I must have heard that phrase 15 odd years ago and i've been using it ever since.

Was it at a football match where the likes of John Fashanu and John Barnes had them thrown at them because of the colour of their skin by moronic racists?

Seriously cop on. Your ban is not getting lifted. It's your third ban from After Hours on record by the way. You tend to lose the benefit of the doubt the more bans you clock up.

And for the record, saying you said something racist is not the same as saying you are a racist.

• Advertisement
Advertisement