Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Smugglers Cave of Ben Rodeen

• 02-06-2009 9:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭

The sea was like glass up on the Causeway Coast today so I dared the waters again in my £40 dinghy from Lidl and paddled round into an inaccessible cove on the hunt for sea caves. I had read an old obscure reference to a cave in this cove which was once used by smugglers.

After paddling round to the cove from Port Moon, I saw the cave entrance higher up the cliff. It looked quite small from outside but as I descended down into it it opened up into a hall about 50 foot high and about 100 yards deep, rising towards the back. This huge vault would have hidden an entire ships cargo of contraband. There was no sign of a hole in the roof into a second chamber as the old story told, but there appeared to have been some collapse of the cave near the back.

At the entrance was a curious little wall, built by the smugglers, who knows how long ago. This cave would certainly have made a spacious hideout. I'm sure it has some stories to tell.

I included myself in the shot on a timed release to give an idea of scale.

5port44.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

amcinroy, as always love the story and love the photo,
    Good idea to include yourself....your really needed to show scale

Advertisement