Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sun Room

Options
  • 02-06-2009 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

I am thinking about getting a sun room built. I have an extended kitchen and I want to bring a sun room out about 2 foot further than the kitchen. The roof needs to match the kitchen which is a sloped roof from the back wall of the house. I would like 1 or 2 Velux windows to give good light and not make my dining room too dark. Ideally I would like to get a replacement frame for my existing sliding doors and move the doors/solid pane out to the sun room. With the kitchen extension already having a wall I just need a full wall on one side and 2 low walls to put windows either side of the sliding patio door. There will be no window looking onto the neighbours so I'm hoping I don't need PP. The width would be 9' by 9''6" long. So anyone able to give an approximate cost, advise on PP and any other thoughts. Thanks! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

if the extended kitchen was added post original build and it was built as an exempt development ur sun-room will need PP as u only get one exempt dev

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Carlow52 wrote: »
    if the extended kitchen was added post original build and it was built as an exempt development ur sun-room will need PP as u only get one exempt dev
    Not so C52. Its the aggregate floor area of the extensions that count. Exempted floor area is presently set at 40m2 as you know so providing the extended kitchen and the new sun room don't exceed 40m2 then it is exempt (subject to other conditions of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 amurray32

Extended kitchen was part of original build.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Just to clear a point in my mind. The kitchen 'extension' is not an extension at all, just part of the original design which pushed passed the back line of the house, is this correct? When was the house built? A price for what you describe, as I see it in my head would be C. €13,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 amurray32

Hi Poor Uncle Tom, that is correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Carlow52 wrote: »
    Interesting: Is this a new development because the LA I live in has 'implemented' the one exempt dev idea, hence my note.
    It has always been that way however one of the "other conditions" I referred to above is one that is used by very few PA's in that the extension, notwithstanding the 40m2 limit, does not contravene a condition of a planning permission.

A few of the PA's when granting permissions especially in densely populated areas will impose a condition that the house may not be extended without obtaining planning permission. This condition would stem from the inclusion of it in their county devp. plan. The planning regs then state that an extension is exempt subject to size, height, windows, open space etc etc but that it does not become exempt if it contravenes a planning condition.

The imposition of such a restrictive condition is more a parochial nature than a national policy.

Advertisement