Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interview Tourism Marketing

Options
  • 02-06-2009 10:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

I applied for the DIT programme "Tourism Marketing" for 09/10 through the CAO & now received an invitation for an interview. Its only my 6th choice, so was pretty surprised.

Is it normal to have interviews in DIT in general/in DIT for Tourism & Food?

Or is it because I'm German & therefore (maybe) a non-standard applicant? I forwarded a certified translation of my German Leaving Cert to the CAO already & I have a proof of proficiency in the English language (Grade A in Cambridge "Certificate of Advanced English") as well.

I really don't know what to expect from that interview now, do I need to know lots of stuff about the programm???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

My girlfriend just graduated from that exact programme. She's Estonian herself but did her Leaving Cert here. I do know that there was a German girl in her class for the four years of the degree programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

I applied for the DIT programme "Tourism Marketing" for 09/10 through the CAO & now received an invitation for an interview. Its only my 6th choice, so was pretty surprised.

Is it normal to have interviews in DIT in general/in DIT for Tourism & Food?

Or is it because I'm German & therefore (maybe) a non-standard applicant? I forwarded a certified translation of my German Leaving Cert to the CAO already & I have a proof of proficiency in the English language (Grade A in Cambridge "Certificate of Advanced English") as well.

I really don't know what to expect from that interview now, do I need to know lots of stuff about the programm???

It may be normal to have an interview for this course, as DIT may have received a large number of applications for it, and wants to select the people who really want to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

According to the website mature and non standard applicants may be called for interview:

http://hospitality.dit.ie/DT412.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I was called for interview in the course that I just finished in Bolton St. It was basically a chat to see why I wanted to do the course, very informal.

I do know that Cathal Brugha St. tends to be far more regimental than Bolton St. so it might be worth reading up on the course content, modules etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 hsharz

interviews aren´t unusual, so don´t worry about it.

I applied last year for several tourism courses (pretty much same situation you are in: German, Abitur, CAE), because I weren´t sure if I would get a palce at home. I was asked to do one interview in shannon, but didn´t went there cause it was only my 4th choice.
    in the end i was accepted for both of my first choices, but decided for a course in Germany.

if you want to continue studying in Germany or go straight back after graduation, keep in mind that a lot of german colleges and employes are stil not really into the idea of "internationalisation in education";)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 dontuknowme

Yes I guess it's completely normal to be invited to an interview. I attended two interwies in DIT. one for the Hospitality and one for the tourism courses. Since I am Swiss I was a non-Standart application as well.

@keimfreiexliebe

So what course are you doing now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 keimfreiexliebe

Yeah, it was really just a chat (Tell us something about yourself, why do you wanna study in Ireland, Do you know that college will be expensive, are you able to cover the costs & why do you wanna study "THIS COURSE"?)
    I actually enjoyed the interviews, went to Tourism Marketing first and then to Internat. Hospitality Management whereas the guy in the last interview made me a bit nervous as opposed to the 2 girls in the 1st interview who offered me a place in the course straight after the "interview".

I'm going to do "Internat. Business & Spanish" in Aungier/Kevin Street as thats my 1st choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 xxditzydoxx

what street is tourism and marketing on? i just got accepted thourgh the cao and im delighted! anyone else going to do this course?

Advertisement