Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Corrib gas, the truth is out

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

dlofnep wrote: »
    Er, it's not about "mother earth" and hugging trees. I'll chop a feckin' tree down faster than you can close a thread.

It's about controlling national resources which can be used to build up national wealth - instead of selling it off for a quick buck. Do you not see the merit behind this?

I'm with you.
    I put the sarcastic bit in italics.
    The majority of those stirring up crap are rent-a-hippy types.

Shell should not have control of this, but the pipeline should go ahead.
    The government is completely to blame for this.
    They sold the rights to Shell and should not have done that.
    This should be a uniquely Irish project.
    There is a lot more oil out there and we need to develop out own industry based around it.

The time will come when we will have to battle the British and the Danish over control of the North Atlantic oil that is quite cleary ours.
    This battle will not be fought with bombs and stuff, but within Europe and we need politicians with balls to stand up and say that it is ours, even if the British stuck a flag on a rock a few hundred miles away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

mal1 wrote: »
    Dlofnep - You haven't outlined your proposal for a nationalised gas field? Are we going to fly across the ocean and ask our Venezuelan friend Chavez to help?

Are you telling me that they can't hire independant contractors to perform testing/drilling? Such a person does not exist?

How do you think other small countries accomplish such a task? The nordic countries have a very prosperous economy, largely due to the wealth accumulated from national resources such as oil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

RATM wrote: »
    Well I didnt see it but the fact that Paul McWilliams was presenting it makes any claims made on it seem less credible tbh.

True: I hate that mf ever since he made this clip
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8iaxeWyCJE

However I find Paul Williams a very credible

AH
    Nice to see all the folks who thanked the OP for the McW comment:)

dubsgirl wrote: »
    Fine in an ideal world with a government that has a clue...

However do you think these protestors would be agreeable to a pipeline running through their area if it was done by someone other than Shell.

My understanding of this particular protest is that they have a problem with the pipeline ergo they have a problem with Shell.

Stands to reason that we need to pipeline to pipe the gas so protest would be ongoing anyway...

Look - there are various reasons for protesting. Some are protesting based on the issues of safety - I'm not a gasline expert, so I'm about as educated as yourself on how safe it is. So I've no comment on it. If it is unsafe, then they have merit behind their protesting.

My gripe would personally be with selling off national resources to foreign companies - which could be better used for a sustained source of wealth in our country. Especially in times like this. Think nordic countries are talking about recession every 24 minutes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

F-Stop wrote: »
    That's not New Zealand Flax.

Its one of the few naturally occuring trees in Erris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

lol??? Where is this coming from?

You obviously haven't been reading AH lately.
    I'm a racist for saying that Irish jobs should go to Irish people first and foremost.

It's something that has been practiced by the much loved U.S., Canada and Australia over the years, but if you say the same rules should apply here then you are completely and utterly racist and love Hitler.

You should see some of the reported posts.
    I'm Satan, his minions and am in hell already.

Terry wrote: »
    I'm with you.

Sorry :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

I'm with you.
    I put the sarcastic bit in italics.
    The majority of those stirring up crap are rent-a-hippy types.

Shell should not have control of this, but the pipeline should go ahead.
    The government is completely to blame for this.
    They sold the rights to Shell and should not have done that.
    This should be a uniquely Irish project.
    There is a lot more oil out there and we need to develop out own industry based around it.

The time will come when we will have to battle the British and the Danish over control of the North Atlantic oil that is quite cleary ours.
    This battle will not be fought with bombs and stuff, but within Europe and we need politicians with balls to stand up and say that it is ours, even if the British stuck a flag on a rock a few hundred miles away.

It's the government's fault, in that we can't possibly do this project alone. They would if we could. We need help from other countries to design and build a project on this scale. It's too late to make this project 'uniquely Irish'. We simply need the gas now and can't wait another 20 years to build up an industry and the expertise to do it alone. It's as simple as that. That's why we are getting f*cked.

The same will happen when we move to nuclear. Can you see a nuclear engineer/science course in Ireland? Nope. So we will have to get the French in when that comes around, and it will cost us big time!

You obviously haven't been reading AH lately.
    I'm a racist for saying that Irish jobs should go to Irish people first and foremost.

It's something that has been practiced by the much loved U.S., Canada and Australia over the years, but if you say the same rules should apply here then you are completely and utterly racist and love Hitler.

You should see some of the reported posts.
    I'm Satan, his minions and am in hell already.

I'm totally out of the loop man. I tend to wave in and out of threads picking up a few posts here and there. lol :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

Are you telling me that they can't hire independant contractors to perform testing/drilling? Such a person does not exist?

How do you think other small countries accomplish such a task? The nordic countries have a very prosperous economy, largely due to the wealth accumulated from national resources such as oil.

It costs a compant like Shell somewhere in the region of 100 million to asses a site. That is all spent before any drilling starts, and there is no gaurente off finding anything.

How much do you think it would cost a goverment that spent 52 million on electronic voting machines

Yes, and they had the time to do it (no looming energy crisis). We don't and also we don't have the wealth of oil that Norway has.

No, there isn't some small time contractor or project manager who will take this type of work on . I don't know if you realise the scale of projects such as this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

Look - there are various reasons for protesting. Some are protesting based on the issues of safety - I'm not a gasline expert, so I'm about as educated as yourself on how safe it is. So I've no comment on it. If it is unsafe, then they have merit behind their protesting.

My gripe would personally be with selling off national resources to foreign companies - which could be better used for a sustained source of wealth in our country. Especially in times like this. Think nordic countries are talking about recession every 24 minutes?

Yes and I would completely agree with you on this point (as I said in an ideal world)

However I then went on to talk about my original points, which was in particular this ongoing feud between Shell and the protestors against the pipeline...
    (ie what the programme was based on)

starn wrote: »
    It costs a compant like Shell somewhere in the region of 100 million to asses a site. That is all spent before any drilling starts, and there is no gaurente off finding anything.

How much do you think it would cost a goverment that spent 52 million on electronic voting machines

And you think Shell is willing to spend 100 million for the craic of it, because there is no potential? With risk comes reward. The possibilities for state controlled oil appears to be high - and the benefit it would have for our economy would be huge - opposed to providing jobs to those local to the field.

It's a national issue - not a local issue. So when people say "Oh but, think of all the jobs that will be created" are not looking at the bigger picture.

All countries who have oil fields didn't get it easily. It doesn't mean that you sell it off to the highest bidder because it's a big task.

However I then went on to talk about my original points, which was in particular this ongoing feud between Shell and the protestors against the pipeline...
    (ie what the programme was based on)

Since I haven't seen the programme - perhaps you could tell me? Was it based around the safety issue?

And you think Shell is willing to spend 100 million for the craic of it, because there is no potential? With risk comes reward. The possibilities for state controlled oil appears to be high - and the benefit it would have for our economy would be huge - opposed to providing jobs to those local to the field.

It's a national issue - not a local issue. So when people say "Oh but, think of all the jobs that will be created" are not looking at the bigger picture.

All countries who have oil fields didn't get it easily. It doesn't mean that you sell it off to the highest bidder because it's a big task.

But no company (with the appropriate expertise) will tap into a gas field that's going to be state controlled. It's as simple as that.

• Advertisement

Yes, and they had the time to do it (no looming energy crisis). We don't and also we don't have the wealth of oil that Norway has.

And how do you know we don't have a comparable amount of oil? Have we already exhausted our options through high-scale drilling?
    No, there isn't some small time contractor or project manager who will take this type of work on . I don't know if you realise the scale of projects such as this.

I never claimed it was a small task, read my posts. I'm not pretending that it is - But there was years of economic prosperity where our wealth could have been used to fund drilling - but we wasted it.

Let's for example say Shell find a hideous amount of oil - How would we feel then to have our own oil re-sold back to us for an silly amount?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

"Professional protesters". They get paid now to protest, do they?

They sure do! We pay their dole, they protest. It's a lose-lose situation as far as I can see.

But no company (with the appropriate expertise) will tap into a gas field that's going to be state controlled. It's as simple as that.

How do you know this? How do other countries accomplish such a task? You seem fully convinced of yourself that we are incapable of accomplishing something as important as drilling for our own oil?

Hey - Maybe I'm just overly naive on the issue. Perhaps you work within oil and that's why you're a subject matter expert on this issue and I'm merely a dreamer who has silly ideas like nationalising economic booming oil.

Blush_01 wrote: »
    They sure do! We pay their dole, they protest. It's a lose-lose situation as far as I can see.

So they are all on the dole now, is it? That's a lovely assumption.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

Since I haven't seen the programme - perhaps you could tell me? Was it based around the safety issue?

This programme was basically a look at the ongoing dispute between Shell and protestors over the Corrib gas field in Mayo...

There was not one of these protestors on this programme complaining about the fact that this was not a national project. They were protesting about running a gas pipeline through a beautiful area and putting peoples lives at risk, in their opinions.

On the flipside of this there were interviews with many local people who were all for the project as it has brought about local employment.

Thats it in a nutshell...

• Advertisement

Ok so the govermnet starts looking at basins looking for oil. Suppose they exaime five basins. No of them provide to be viable. Thats the state out over half a billion. Will you be sticking to your guns saying yes we should be looking at more sites or will you be standing outside Crumlin Childrens Hospital saying look how they are wasting out money. When we can see the rights to a external oil company and let them take on all the risk

This programme was basically a look at the ongoing dispute between Shell and protestors over the Corrib gas field in Mayo...

There was not one of these protestors on this programme complaining about the fact that this was not a national project. They were protesting about running a gas pipeline through a beautiful area and putting peoples lives at risk, in their opinions.

On the flipside of this there were interviews with many local people who were all for the project as it has brought about local employment.

Thats it in a nutshell...

IMO - and I haven't seen it, but that sounds very biased.. Considering I've spoken to (but haven't been present myself) to many protesters who've been there - we've all agreed on the same issue, which was the national control of our own resources.

The fact that this isn't mentioned would lead me to believe that the documentary was highly biased, trying to highlight the good of the project, but downplaying any issues with merit - such as nationally controlled assets.

I'll watch it when it's up online and I'll try give you an honest opinion of it.. but just from the sounds of it, and based on what I know first-hand - I'd say it was a biased piece of gutter-journalism. I'm up for correction.

States do it jointly with private companies. It been the same for decades since they first started pumping oil in the middle east. That's how the likes of Shell got such a tight grip on the energy resources of the world. It's painful but it's true. Even Venezuela is only nationalising their energy resources after the multinationals have done all the hard graft and pumped the stuff out of the earth. I don't like it, neither do you, but it's true.

I have experience working in large infrastructure projects and i spend a lot of my day working with engineers from Italy, Germany Denmark, Poland, the UK. The list is endless. We need their expertise and help. We're just too small (and now broke) to do it alone

Hey - Maybe I'm just overly naive on the issue..... I'm merely a dreamer who has silly ideas like

YOU ARE

Ok so the govermnet starts looking at basins looking for oil. Suppose they exaime five basins. No of them provide to be viable. Thats the state out over half a billion. Will you be sticking to your guns saying yes we should be looking at more sites or will you be standing outside Crumlin Childrens Hospital saying look how they are wasting out money. When we can see the rights to a external oil company and let them take on all the risk

There will always be losses when it comes to investing in issues like resources such as oil. Crumlins hospital has absolutely nothing to do with the issue at hand.

But if there was a find - then Crumlin's and many other hospitals (including my own local) would have more than enough to fund them.

Shell obviously see potential that you apparently don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

So they are all on the dole now, is it? That's a lovely assumption.

The professional protesters? The ones who consider it their vocation to spend all their time protesting something and Corrib gas just happened to come along when they had a lull? Yeah, it's a lovely, and pretty spot on assumption.

I was in UCD when the SU funded a bus for the crusties to go to protest - please don't tell me they gave a flying fcuk about the people of Mayo, the fact that the oil reserves were being sold to Shell or the loss of an Irish oil industry.

The whole Irish oil industry idea, in the hands of the Irish government, is a genuine joke, right?

The professional protesters? The ones who consider it their vocation to spend all their time protesting something and Corrib gas just happened to come along when they had a lull? Yeah, it's a lovely, and pretty spot on assumption.

It's bigotted. You're trying to attack the character of protesters by claiming that they are all on the dole. It has no bearing on the issue at hand.
    I was in UCD when the SU funded a bus for the crusties to go to protest - please don't tell me they gave a flying fcuk about the people of Mayo, the fact that the oil reserves were being sold to Shell or the loss of an Irish oil industry.

And what do you know what they gave a fcuk about? Did you ask them? Seems like you have made up your mind already about them. Your sheer and utter bigotry is not worth entertaining.
    The whole Irish oil industry idea, in the hands of the Irish government, is a genuine joke, right?

No, it's a very sound idea with great merit. A country nationally controlling it's resources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭mrblack

To me the big picture is that this little country in a very precarious position of energy dependence on natural gas from UK & Russia and our own gasfield off Kinsale is declining. As an independant nation we simply must get that gas up and running before we cannot heat our homes in this winter or the next winter or whenever Putin & co decide to turn off the spigot like what happened about 18 months ago and gas pressure in western Europe declined as a result.

This guy Willie Corduff seems to be on a crusade against the pipeline just like his father opposed rural electrification. Maybe its a family tradition to be ignorant. I wonder does he use gas or maybe gas generated electricity to heat his house or cook his food. Probably half the urban dwellers in this country are within 50-100 metres of a gas pipeline at all times and the kinsale gas pipeline has operated with no problems for last 30 years.

I also wonder if these state supported protesters would agree with a giagantic windfarm instead in Mayo to generate the energy this country needs, or would they argue it should be elsewhere like many other nimbies in this country.

mrblack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

It's the government's fault, in that we can't possibly do this project alone. They would if we could. We need help from other countries to design and build a project on this scale. It's too late to make this project 'uniquely Irish'. We simply need the gas now and can't wait another 20 years to build up an industry and the expertise to do it alone. It's as simple as that. That's why we are getting f*cked.

The same will happen when we move to nuclear. Can you see a nuclear engineer/science course in Ireland? Nope. So we will have to get the French in when that comes around, and it will cost us big time!

Sadly thats where you are wrong. We could have got that gas out by ourselves. I've 2 uncles in the oil business, one quite high up and the other works on rigs.

They tell me there is a ton of Paddies working on rigs all across the Middle East, Malaysia, North Sea, etc. No matter where you go in the oil bisness you'll find Irish working in it.

Both are adamant that Irish people, because of their vast experience in the industry, have the expertise to take on a project of that size. And both are adamant that of all the Irish they know in the job the vast majority would kill for a move back home as long as they could continue on their career in drilling oil.

Sadly that's not going to happen, it could have been a win win situation for the government to create a national oil/gas company and let the nation benefit from the resources and wealth it would bring but the fact is FF didn't have the balls or foresight to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Don't be looking at this sensibly now. Sure we'll have nothing left to moan about.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 2-D Man

Did it make any mention of that eejit who was killed in Bolivia?

You know the one who worked for Shell in Mayo and had the SS tattoos on his arm?

Bolivia... you know the place were Shell is trying to put a pipeline through a protected area of rainforest but Evo Morales won't let them...

You know Evo Morales? The guy who the bunch of right wing nutjbs including the shell employee wanted dead?

Yeah, those protesters are dodgy alright....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Dudess wrote: »
    Only three of them?

Also, TV documentaries can be framed to suit a particular agenda. I'd prefer to be objective and consider both sides.

Sometimes one side is right and the other side is wrong. This is such a case, the Shell 2 Sea people are clearly a lunatic fringe bent on finishing off our country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭jape

Wow €400 Billion where exactly did you get that figure from. Why not €700 Billion or €1000 billion. If your going to make something up a figure why npot make it as big as you can.
    Why Ireland stands to lose €400 billion in natural gas and oil deposits

The two most well known Irish hydrocarbon deposits, the Corrib field and the Dunquin prospect, are collectively worth at least €400 billion euros. They contain around 33 trillion cubic feet of gas and between 2.5 and 4 billion barrels of oil. The gas in the Corrib belongs to Shell, Statoil and Marathon while the Dunquin prospect is totally controlled by Exxon Mobil and Providence. Ordinary Irish workers will end up buying back our oil and gas while the companies will be charged pitiful tax rates against which they can write off all exploration and construction costs over the past twenty-five years. How did this happen?

http://www.wsm.ie/story/2187
    http://www.indymedia.ie/article/81708

*Pats starn on head*, run along now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

There will always be losses when it comes to investing in issues like resources such as oil. Crumlins hospital has absolutely nothing to do with the issue at hand.

But if there was a find - then Crumlin's and many other hospitals (including my own local) would have more than enough to fund them.

That's a very big if. Do you trust the government to do anything right? Your faith is admirable.
    Shell obviously see potential that you apparently don't.

Shell have lots of money and expertise to take calculated risks with ... we don't. The government would probably build 2 non-connected pipelines with clowns in between filling up balloons with the gas to transport it from one pipeline to the other ... like luas .... or make the diameter of the pipe different from the other gas pipelines like the Dublin Port tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭simonw

jape wrote: »

[citation needed]

jape wrote: »

A valuation of €400 Bn is completelt ridculous, is grossly inaccurate and appears nowhere else but Indymedia

The Sunday Tribune gave a value of 13Bn almost 12 months ago
    http://www.tribune.ie/article/2008/jun/22/value-of-shell-corrib-field-surges-to-13bn/

and The Western People sites a value of only €9 Bn eight months ago.
    http://www.westernpeople.ie/news/story/?trs=eycwkfmhau

Or maybe there in on it aswell ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭jape

A valuation of €400 Bn is completelt ridculous, is grossly inaccurate and appears nowhere else but Indymedia

The Sunday Tribune gave a value of 13Bn almost 12 months ago
    http://www.tribune.ie/article/2008/jun/22/value-of-shell-corrib-field-surges-to-13bn/

and The Western People sites a value of only €9 Bn eight months ago.
    http://www.westernpeople.ie/news/story/?trs=eycwkfmhau

Or maybe there in on it aswell ???

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Tony O’Reilly, owner of the Belfast Telegraph, the London and Dublin Independents, the Sunday Independent (Ireland), the Independent on Sunday (England), the Sunday World, The Star, The Evening Herald, some of the Sunday Tribune, various local weeklies including The Kerryman and the Drogheda Independent, as well as other media internationally, also owns Providence Resources.

Source: http://www.corribsos.com/index.php?id=2&type=page

So actually, yes they are most definitely "in on it".

But you can keep believing everything the media tells you without questioning the source or without thinking for yourself. I honestly couldn't care less.
    [/FONT]

And if you think 33 trillion cubic feet of gas and 4 billion barrels of oil are only worth €9 billion, then I suggest you do some research into the price of commodities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Paul Williams is gutter-press, there's a reason he makes his money at the Sunday World.

The Gas is valued at AT LEAST €9 billion if you believe some of the media, and maybe even much much more. The manner in which it was basically gifted to a multinational (One currently on trial in New York City, http://allafrica.com/stories/200905270061.html ) by Ray Burke and indeed 'Pint of Bass' Bertie is a scandal. There's an inquiry in all this, there really is.

Is it really the issue if its 9 billion, 20 billion or whatever-billion? The fact is billions was given away, and we'll profit nothing on it. Is it creating jobs? Not in the slightest. The over-time bill for the coppers will be far more than what the lads in the high-vis jackets will make (Suppose you have to seek work in Bolivia to make a living :rolleyes:)

I'd be much more interested in a TV documentary on some of the individuals who have worked down in Mayo on behalf of Shell, be they in the uniform of the state or the high-vis jackets of a private company.

Although at least we are helping A health system, An education system and A nations infrastructure through all this. Shame it's in Norway.

If this scandal erupted now Fianna Fail wouldn't hear the end of it. If this happened in any other state the government would fight for its life, and the police force find itself in a much worse situation. Only in Ireland could such a handout happen, only in an Ireland under the control of a party like Fianna Fail.
    Energy Independence: At What Cost?
    Ireland relies on the UK for 85 percent of its gas needs. In 1996 the Corrib gas field was discovered, 50 miles off the coast of the Mullet Peninsula in Mayo County and 3,000 meters below the seabed. Shell Oil, in partnership with the Irish government, Statoil Exploration and Marathon International Petroleum, planned to develop the gas field and supply 60 percent of Ireland’s natural gas demand.
    The Corrib and surrounding gas fields could earn profits for Shell and its partners in excess of US$60 billion. However, the community of Rossport would receive no royalties and have to pay full market price for the gas. To attract future development, the Irish government turned over all rights for the Corrib gas fields to Shell and its partners, with no tax dollars going to the state.
    http://www.goldmanprize.org/node/605

I suppose thats not a serious award now they've given it to a mad Provo tree-hugging 'bus in from Dublin' romantic type like Willie Corduff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

professore wrote: »
    Sometimes one side is right and the other side is wrong. This is such a case, the Shell 2 Sea people are clearly a lunatic fringe bent on finishing off our country.
    Yes... "finishing off our country"... :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

No I didn't see it. Does TV3 archive it's programs online like RTE?

It will probably be on that site I was telling ya about in a day or two. I have it sky +d(wtf) if ya wanna pop up tomorrow for a few beers and maybe a cuddle and we watch it :) lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,769 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Norway with a population similar to us set up Statoil and the rest as they say is history(continues to have one of the highest standards of living in the world thanx to its oil and gas revenues).

Paul Williams is simply a second rate hack who serves as a usefull jester for the Garda PR dept. This nonsense on TV3 was thrown together so as to distract the public form the Corrib gas giveaway and the fact that we now know from the escapades of a certain Mr Dwyer that the state police force has been standing shoulder to shoulder with facist paramilitaries who subsequently went to a foreign country in order to help overthrow a democratically elected government who had nationlized its oil and gas. Thats the real story with Rossport and no amount of BS from ireland corporate media can change the real truth.

RATM wrote: »
    Sadly thats where you are wrong. We could have got that gas out by ourselves. I've 2 uncles in the oil business, one quite high up and the other works on rigs.

You may be right, but these "experts" are not in Ireland, that's the problem.

This is such a case, the Shell 2 Sea people are clearly a lunatic fringe bent on finishing off our country.
    I would have thought the lunatics would be Ray Burke, Bertie Ahern and anybody else in that 'lunatic party' that thought handing over billions in natrual resources for nothing to fund services in another country and increase the wealth of already madly-wealthy companies was a good idea?

I also think there's an insane amount of cheek on the part of the Gardai to put up posters around Dublin about how they don't deserve the pension levy cuts, when they have so far assisted this giveaway in a way Shell and Statoil probably couldn't have even dreamed of.

My fathers a firefighter. Does he deserve the 10% pension levy? Of course not. But the Gardaí should probably write a nice-letter to Royal Dutch Shell asking for 10% of the profits from our gas reserves. Afterall, it's the least they deserve. We sure won't see a penny from it.

Our brave and honourable police force, up against the pension levy and really old 'Provo Gaelgoirs'.

PrivateEye wrote: »
    I would have thought the lunatics would be Ray Burke, Bertie Ahern and anybody else in that 'lunatic party' that thought handing over billions in natrual resources for nothing to fund services in another country and increase the wealth of already madly-wealthy companies was a good idea?

I also think there's an insane amount of cheek on the part of the Gardai to put up posters around Dublin about how they don't deserve the pension levy cuts, when they have so far assisted this giveaway in a way Shell and Statoil probably couldn't have even dreamed of.

My fathers a firefighter. Does he deserve the 10% pension levy? Of course not. But the Gardaí should probably write a nice-letter to Royal Dutch Shell asking for 10% of the profits from our gas reserves. Afterall, it's the least they deserve. We sure won't see a penny from it.

Our brave and honourable police force, up against the pension levy and really old 'Provo Gaelgoirs'.

Ah jaysus boy. how can ya type with yer arms wrapped around the tree.

Ah jaysus boy. how can ya type with yer arms wrapped around the tree.

I'm not a hippy, far from it. I don't think opposing a giveaway of billions of euro or the actions of a police force that overseen that giveaway makes one a 'tree-hugger' of any kind.

If you think you can't oppose the actions of the police at any given time and not be a tree-hugger maybe your problem isn't with your arms but your head, which I'd presume would be a mile up your rear-end. The right to question the actions of the state or its forces is one we enjoy, living in a democracy like we do. You're not a tree-hugger if you've a problem with what is going on in Mayo.

jaysus, how can you not see the basic problem here is the fact the gas reserves are in the hands of foreign multinationals and we don't stand to make a cent. boy.

• Advertisement

I'm not a hippy, far from it. I don't think opposing a giveaway of billions of euro or the actions of a police force that overseen that giveaway makes one a 'tree-hugger' of any kind.

If you think you can't oppose the actions of the police at any given time and not be a tree-hugger maybe your problem isn't with your arms but your head, which I'd presume would be a mile up your rear-end.

What are ya upto taking me seriously for. Jaysus lad. chillax the cacks and dont listen to anything I say . :(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,769 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Give me a tree hugger anyday over an ignorant corporate whore:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Dumb

seanybiker wrote: »
    What are ya upto taking me seriously for. Jaysus lad. chillax the cacks and dont listen to anything I say . :(:(

I hate these farts who get off about a fooking gas pipe. I wouldn't mind shoving them in it and setting them alight. Vague-minded rats. Nibblin' round looking for trouble

Forgot this was After Hours I suppose, never mind me passing through.

*Hits 'Soc'*

On a serious note but, opposing a motorway that doesn't actually run near a hill is tree-huggery.
    Opposing the giveaway of billions of quid, or a threat to your community, is not tree-huggery.
    Writing Shell To Sea off as a campaign of tree-huggers misses the point of the campaign completely.

Forgot this was After Hours I suppose, never mind me passing through.

*Hits 'Soc'*

Tis ok. Ya scared me there for a second. Thought I was gonna have to make a realistic post. phew.

• Advertisement
Advertisement