Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Invitation to treat

Options
  • 02-06-2009 10:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭

I remember doing business studies back in school and think it has come up here a few times also

The concept of "invitation to treat" was introduced. IIRC (and its very possible I don't!!) it was something along the lines of the advertised price is merely suggesting an offer that the customer should make which the shop is free to accept or reject.

Just wondering if my understanding outlined above is correct and if so where does this concept tie in with false advertising?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I believe (and I've not checked the consumer connect website to confirm - just going off memory here) that once it's not mispriced or missold intentionally then it's fine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Random wrote: »
    I believe (and I've not checked the consumer connect website to confirm - just going off memory here) that once it's not mispriced or missold intentionally then it's fine.
    And corrected in a timely manner once you're aware of the mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The well known precedent about the 'invitation to treat' is Carlill v the Carbolic Smoke Ball Company. It is worth reading for entertainment value alone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlill_v_Carbolic_Smoke_Ball_Company

Under the various pricing regulations it isn't really fine to misprice, even unintentionally. But whether it is done intentionally or unintentionally, it is unlikely that the price is binding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭RiverWilde

Another case, well there are a few, one is the Boots case which was started on an unrelated matter but wound up talking about 'invitation to treat.' It's actually quite readable.

Riv

Advertisement