Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soccer forum. Re: Economist thread.

Options
  • 02-06-2009 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38,458 ✭✭✭✭

Regarding this thread.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055578083

It was locked up pretty quickly. The fact of the matter is that a lot of posters who know Helix are quite concerned about this. We can't air our grievances, as a matter of fact there are a lot of posters who are afraid to say anything at all lest they too get banned.

I often disagree with Helix on football matters, actually we rarely agree, but the guy is respectful of others and is clearly very popular in the forum.

I really want to start about this moderator but thats not the point of this thread. I just want to know how we can show our support for Helix?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Agreed, ridiculous ban, and to be honest I think most of the forum have had enough of this particular mod. What happens outside this website, should not encroach into it, thats the least of the rights we should have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

DSB wrote: »
    Agreed, ridiculous ban, and to be honest I think most of the forum have had enough of this particular mod. What happens outside this website, should not encroach into it, thats the least of the rights we should have.

I have been told by TWO mods of their concern, one of which I have in writing via a PM. Like a good journalist I will not reveal my sources, but if that's what mods think surely Helix has a case - one MOD got so fed up, quote " I got a ban for thanking a post, don't really post over there anymore because of her "

And another thing - on the thread where Helix argues his case, one mod is backed by another whom I know from Personal Issues forum and I feel is nothing more than a feminist, and I raised this last year with no reply.

Outrageous.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,359 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

ban is very harsh indeed

On another note it seems unfair that the posters of the soccer forum have no real say in who polices the forum. I dunno if thats a general thing throughout boards, but if alot of people are having the same issues then there is definitely something in them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

i dot think helix being himself helped,the guy is naturally arguementative imo but as he never broke any boards rules and it happened off boards, i would think a very harsh warning and a boards rule change which would mean if done again by anyone a ban would occur would be a god way to go.

he is a good contributer on the soccer board though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hmm read that Help Desk thread, hardly a shining example of live and let live. Or even clear thinking.

DSB users have no say regarding Mods, this is correct as you'd end up with a sort of Old West Mayoral election campaign "vote for me and you'll get absolution for one yellow card infraction every month (and a bottle of Hooch)!"

mike65 wrote: »
    Hmm read that Help Desk thread, hardly a shining example of live and let live. Or even clear thinking.

Agreed, definitely hostile behaviour, but letting things from outside boards, creep into boards is a horrible precedent, if I feel like speaking ill of anyone from the boards forum off the boards forum, perhaps I don't have the right to do so, perhaps I do, depending on whats said, but it most certainly is not a boards.ie issue, and we're not in Stalinist Russia here.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I didn't know any details before I read this thread. Surely anonymity privs are being ignored here...?

What someone does on another site is no business of this board tbh... according to the ToS anyway (no mention of it)

Terrible bloody decision to ban him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

What if it happens down the pub? What if a mod and a user share the same social circle / venue / pub and one insults the other. Will this mean now the mod can ban them as well?

I don't want to take sides but I'm very interested in what precedent this sets for Boards.

DSB users have no say regarding Mods, this is correct as you'd end up with a sort of Old West Mayoral election campaign "vote for me and you'll get absolution for one yellow card infraction every month (and a bottle of Hooch)!"

Ah no I'm not advocating elected mods or anything of the sort, you're dead right, it'd lead to chaos. But when it becomes clear that a mod is particularly unpopular with the posters in that forum, (I'm not saying this mod is, it could just be a few people who are very vocal about their opinions) then it definitely serves as a negative influence to the forum to have them moderating. I mean we do post in forums as a hobby after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

I agree with Eagle Eye and I dont often.

I'm sure a lot of the posters here agree too.

GuanYin as far as I can see, is a strict rule enforcer, this is fine and I can't fault her moderation on this front.

Unfortunately with the nature of football and the emotion involved sometimes blindly enforcing the rules is a counter-productive measure. The nanny-state, draconian measures being used in this forum are, I believe, CONTRIBUTING to the problems we have here in this forum.

Ironically, while trying to solve the forums problems I feel she is a root cause of the attitudes some poster have to the rules/authority.

I have never had a run in with her, and by all accounts, she is a fine mod but I dont thnk her style suits this particular forum.

Just my 2c. Take from it what you will but I am not trying to upset/attack GuanYin.

Ste

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

eagle eye wrote: »

It was locked up pretty quickly. The fact of the matter is that a lot of posters who know Helix are quite concerned about this. We can't air our grievances, as a matter of fact there are a lot of posters who are afraid to say anything at all lest they too get banned.

to be fair, youre not banned yet are you :)
    I often disagree with Helix on football matters, actually we rarely agree, but the guy is respectful of others and is clearly very popular in the forum.

now, I have read the stuff in question, and i am a little shocked tat anyone can say that there was any respect in what was written. regardless of what you think of the personbeing written about, there was not a shred of respect in what was written. as for popularity, well, i never felt that some people were more wothy based on their popularity. in fact, given the level of stupidity i have encountered over the years, popularity simply means lowest common denominator, and generally worth keeping away from. apparently. so its been reported.....
    I really want to start about this moderator but thats not the point of this thread. I just want to know how we can show our support for Helix?

im sure there will be a threead about it at some stage. tis all very emotive at the moment. emotive arguments rarely solve anything. you get people posting in large font as if this proves that their point is more valid or something?!

And another thing - on the thread where Helix argues his case, one mod is backed by another whom I know from Personal Issues forum and I feel is nothing more than a feminist, and I raised this last year with no reply.

QUOTE]

nothing more than a feminist? whats wrong with feminists?

you raised the fact that there was a feminist in the PI forum lat year?
    I really dont understand what yo uare trying to say

Headshot wrote: »
    ban is very harsh indeed

oh, well, you have certainly proved your point then havent you...

fact of the matter is that there is some discussion going on. there are quite a number of different items being discussed, and i have no doubt you will get your moment in the sun to shine and put your points across.
    at the moment, i think the important people are trying to figure out what has happened, and what is going to happen, and who is involved.
    give it a little time people.

Lack of respect or no, its nothing to do with boards.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I really don't like the idea of banning people for something that happened on another site. If someone was to throw abuse at me on feedback could I ban them from all the forums I mod? Because that's the same thing. It's not where I'd like to see things going.

oh, well, you have certainly proved your point then havent you...

if you cant see the point,theres no helping you

Random post about the pub was very good indeed,its out of boards state and theres no rule against it

Agreed, definitely hostile behaviour, but letting things from outside boards, creep into boards is a horrible precedent, if I feel like speaking ill of anyone from the boards forum off the boards forum, perhaps I don't have the right to do so, perhaps I do, depending on whats said, but it most certainly is not a boards.ie issue, and we're not in Stalinist Russia here.

but if you are using boards.ie's name to run your fantasy football league, then are you not associating yourself with the site?

and if you are associating yourself with the site, then at some stage you will be impacted by what you do under that association

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

But when it becomes clear that a mod is particularly unpopular with the posters in that forum, (I'm not saying this mod is, it could just be a few people who are very vocal about their opinions) then it definitely serves as a negative influence to the forum to have them moderating.
    Just my 2c. Take from it what you will but I am not trying to upset/attack GuanYin.

So the message is we're all scared of saying anything that could in anyway really annoy a certain mod? Just so long as we're all clear on that.

In my 8 years here Mods have rarely if ever been a cause for concern with respect to the governence of a forum and how its thought of by those that use it.

Headshot wrote: »
    if you cant see the point,theres no helping you

Random post about the pub was very good indeed,its out of boards state and theres no rule against it

rubbish. if i cant see your point, then you havent shown it to me.

thats the laziest argument I have seen in a while.

but if you are using boards.ie's name to run your fantasy football league, then are you not associating yourself with the site?

and if you are associating yourself with the site, then at some stage you will be impacted by what you do under that assocition

If he is in charge of the fantasy football league, fair enough, your point is valid. If he didn't then he has no accountability for an unofficial link between that page and this website.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,458 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

to be fair, youre not banned yet are you :)

I just got banned from Soccer by a certain female mod. That smiley makes me think you know that already:confused:

Was it a wild guess, or and educated one?

• Advertisement

So the message is we're all scared of saying anything that could in anyway really annoy a certain mod? Just so long as we're all clear on that.

In my 8 years here Mods have rarely if ever been a cause for concern with respect to the governence of a forum and how its thought of by those that use it.

I think you've the right message there.

I just got banned from Soccer by a certain female mod. That smiley makes me think you know that already:confused:

Seriously, why?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

fact of the matter is that there is some discussion going on. there are quite a number of different items being discussed, and i have no doubt you will get your moment in the sun to shine and put your points across.
    at the moment, i think the important people are trying to figure out what has happened, and what is going to happen, and who is involved.
    give it a little time people.

that seems very dismissive of you, youll get your moment in the sun but now let the big boys decide what needs to be done etc.. only problem is you wnet passed the thinking stage and action was taken and someone was banned when they didnt break a boards rule or post on boards, this it seems a number of people object to no matter what was posted on that other site or if we even agree with it

rubbish. if i cant see your point, then you havent shown it to me.

thats the laziest argument I have seen in a while.
    so im presuming you support the ban

may i ask why

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

How long until this gets locked?

No that completely missed the point of why I said that.

I could be sensationalist about it and call her all manners of things but it would only serve to take away from my argument.

I think Ive put it across in reasonable terms and am not trying to get one over on this mod for anything she has done that I may disagree with on the soccer board.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,458 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Seriously, why?
    discussing moderation or something like that. Anyways it doesn't really belong in this thread.

i rarely read the soccer forum, so no, i wasnt aware you were banned.

discussing moderation or something like that. Anyways it doesn't really belong in this thread.

Probably not, but these bans are going too far. You had every right to make the post you made. Most soccer posters have no idea this thread exists, and deserve to have their opinion heard on it.

• Advertisement

If Eagle Eye is actually banned it has completely proven the point I made in my first post in this thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement