Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soccer forum. Re: Economist thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

RE*AC*TOR wrote: »
    I think you could be in for a Crying Game type of surprise.

Used to be a guy anyway under previous nicks, unless someone else is using the account now...

I actually can't believe people still don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Gholimoli

GuanYin wrote: »
    *sigh*

I didn't complain because Helix just called me some names. Anyone and everyone calls me some names. That isn't a problem for me. Helix and the others have called me names in other fora for some times I'm sure, I don't care about that, if they want to be abusive and call me names behind my back, let them. I don't care.

What I do care about is when people seek me out to abuse me. Helix didn't just post abuse, Helix conceived and generated the most abusive thing he thought he could get away with and then sought an arena where he knew I'd read it and posted in my face, all because I warned two guys about abusing each other in the forum (whether a joke or not, we have precedent (seeing as you like the word) for this)

Huge difference between calling someone a name and specifically seeking them out to abuse them.

It's not the same as posting on a blog, it's not the same as commenting in a bar. It's more like deciding in a bar with your friends to head over to another bar to seek someone out to stand on the side of the dancefloor shouting abuse and intimidating them.

THAT in my opinion is wrong and that is why I complained.

Had Helix stayed on that forum I linked and said anything he wanted about me, and I had later found out, I wouldn't care or complain. When he starts devising ways to seek me out.... thats when I complain.

1.how is he calling you names behind yuor back when you say "he knew i would read it " and "he seeked me out" ???

2.he did stay in that forum,did he not?
    all the abuse or anything else Helix said was said on that forum and not here so what is the issue then?

3. If you felt abused why not report it where the abuse happened?
    Why complain here?
    When you’re a child you voice any complains you may have about anything to your parents but as you get older you learn that there is proper method for voicing any particular complaints with in it’s context…

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

tbh wrote: »
    you are looking for a rule. The rule you're looking for is that the admins can't ban someone on this site for comments they make elsewhere.

Well, most people are. I didn't start this thread, I just agree that its not on that you should be able to ban someone off site. Some mods and users are agreeing with us on it. You don't, imagine who boring it would be if we all agreed on the same thing? :P Your creating a rule by allowing it anyway :P

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I think you could be in for a Crying Game type of surprise.

Used to be a guy anyway under previous nicks, unless someone else is using the account now...

SPL-3153~Titanic-Sinks-Posters.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Gholimoli wrote: »
    1.how is he calling you names behind yuor back when you say "he knew i would read it " and "he seeked me out" ???

2.he did stay in that forum,did he not?
    all the abuse or anything else Helix said was said on that forum and not here so what is the issue then?

3. If you felt abused why not report it where the abuse happened?
    Why complain here?
    When you’re a child you voice any complains you may have about anything to your parents but as you get older you learn that there is proper method for voicing any particular complaints with in it’s context…

The abuse did not stay on that forum. It was re hashed by Helix in a press release on the xpert 11 game where GY is an active member.

Your 3rd point still stands though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Hobart wrote: »
    Indeed, it looks like some people really do forget themselves :D.

Hobart if you have an issues you want to raise with me re that thread do it in an appropriate manner please, I for one won't be discussing or commenting on things from the moderators forum here in feedback.

Des wrote: »
    I actually can't believe people still don't know.

I can't believe people are using it to drag this thread off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

tbh wrote: »
    yeah, mostly at MD, but you were both making the same initial point - that boards won't survive if this kind of thing continues. no?

Not really. All i was suggesting is that without set guidelines, maybe not rules people are left walking eggshells. The other point was that while correct that the admins need give no reason to ban someone such actions wouldn't make for an enjoyable forum.

The only reason I quoted you then was the comment about run ins with soccer forum mods which I haven't had. I have no vested interest other than maybe standing up for the soccer forum when it is bashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

@Des & Xavi

I have no idea what you are implying.

*edit* anyway - sorry if I was going off-topic - it just reads really weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

@Des & Xavi

GuanYin is female. Plain and simple.

EDIT: GY is not plain or simple. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

@Des & Xavi

GuanYin is female and has always been female. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Has a final decision been made on Helix' supposed rule breaking? I'm a little busy and don't have time to scroll back through about 5 pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Hobart if you have an issues you want to raise with me re that thread do it in an appropriate manner please, I for one won't be discussing or commenting on things from the moderators forum here in feedback.
    Any issues I had with anybody "RE" that thread, I brought up on thread. The comment was not directed at you btw, but hey.....

Any issues I had with anybody "RE" that thread, I brought up on thread. The comment was not directed at you btw, but hey.....

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 54,359 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

078cbd95.gif

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

/\ LOL /\!

Seamus that was quick!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

from briefly reading since last night, it doesnt seem to matter to the mods the details of the actual issue and wats gone before it - it matters more that Helix didnt happen to lick ass after he got banned. that seems to be the main concern of a number of mods.... but guess what, it doesnt matter. it doesnt matter that he didnt cower and get busy with his right hand and some vaseline once he got permabanned. what matters is if the ban is right and justified. doesnt matter if he has appeared as unlikeable to the mods after, doesnt matter a dime.
    the only admin type who actually seems to get this a bit just happens to be a lawyer (hulla) and the action he is calling for (as of last night anyway) seems to be the most sensible. ppl seem to be thinking that guanyin was just this innocent daisy flower playing a little game while bigbadhelix and his gang got up to no good and tried to make trouble in the neighbourhood. guanyin got in 1 little fight and her mom got scared so she sent her to the admins and the mods of soccer. she whistled for a ban and when it came clear, thanks 4 the fish gave a wink and a cheer. if anything she thought the fish fancied her, but she said 'ah no forget it' yo home to soccer. she pulled up up to feedback at about 7 or 8 and said to the fish go home smell ya later. she looked at the thread and she was finally there, undisputed queen of soccer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Dub13 wrote: »
    Have you read the thread...?if you did you would be aware that GY did not ban Helix it was a Admin call.So take your agenda away from this thread.

This
    Jonathan wrote: »
    I'm confused.

What admin browses the xpert11 forum looking for people badmouthing b.ie mods?

Or did you report him and let the admins deal with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

nuxxx wrote: »
    This

It's already been said that GY brought the thread in the other forum to the attention of the admins here. It was the admins that decided on the ban, not the mod in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

nuxxx wrote: »
    This

Yes, but it was GY's moderating that the press release was aimed at.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

It's already been said that GY brought the thread in the other forum to the attention of the admins here. It was the admins that decided on the ban, not the mod in question.

The sheer fact it was brought to there attention from an external site shows exactly what kind of mindset she has. And btw i seriously cannot believe a group of admins voted yes for a permament ban, maybe its true, but it sounds extremly fishy to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

So, if the Admins aren't going to comment any more, then perhaps they should lock this thread.

It's going around in circles now.

For anyone still not up to date.

GuanYin DID NOT ban Helix from the Soccer Forum, and Admin did.

The reason has been explained in a somewhat roundabout way.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

K-9 wrote: »
    Yes, but it was GY's moderating that the press release was aimed at.

No not moderating, being kicked from a different league because of they way they percieved her attitude. I don't believe her modding is what this is about.

mayordenis wrote: »
    No not moderating, being kicked from a different league because of they way they percieved her attitude. I don't believe her modding is what this is about.

My reading of the EP thread is that it was directly linked to it.

Her actual post as a moderator was copied and pasted onto the thread.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

Firstly, I haven't finished the thread, (7 pages in) so apologies if I'm going over already covered territory but a few things I wanted to say at this juncture.
    Thaed and I are different people. We have different thoughts. I don't think there's anything like a precedent here. Maybe that's because I'm an Irish lawyer, and we don't really believe in precedents, or maybe it's because I genuinely believe that every case should be taken on it's own merits.
    Say what now?? Irish Lawyers not believing in precedents?? This was quite clearly uncharted waters and if you all honestly believed that this wouldn't set a precedent then you are all very naive. This is quite clearly a precedent, and any forum that tries to run itself without precedents and consistency of decisions will quite simply fail. All it will lead to is a multitude of these types of threads. Consistency of decisions and precedents are all that you should be concerned with, not how Helix's manners were or who's feeling were hurt or not hurt. Making a decision like this, you should have been cold, logical and emotionless.
    Thaedydal wrote: »
    Like a school this site set it's code of conduct and if you break it tough.
    We ban people for a range of things here.
    Apparently so... it's a shame really, make new rules all you like, (for gods sake though, not this one!!!) but to retrospectively act on them is quite simply not on.
    smashey wrote: »
    We have discussed this issue at length and it was quite heated. In the end, the decision could probably be best summed up as follows...

We will intervene when someone who is openly associated with these forums, using a nickname from these forums, in a game that affiliates with these forums, starts an attack on one of our moderators. The abuse came from an external group, and we have no problems in acknowledging that it is an external group but, this group was using the boards name to garner members and we will do our utmost to protect the boards.ie name and our moderators/users.

The above isn't about setting precedent, it's about us doing what we unanimously agreed to be the right thing in this particular instance.
    Well I just hope you can all unanimously agree that you made a mistake and change your mind on this one.
    I'm sorry if this looks like we've moved the goal posts. We really weren't trying to. We were trying to deal with a specific (and, I think, irreplicable) issue and, honestly, we didn't expect these ramifications. That is because at all times we had been wary that this could be an unwanted precedent. However, we had agreed that it wasn't going to be a precedent. In fact, we were emphatic on that aspect.
    As I said above, this is just rubbish IMO. You knew (or ought to have known) that this would set a precedent, it doesn't really matter how emphatic or otherwise you were to each other, you are all Admins now and you need to act as such and remember the weight your decisions bring with them. There's the other 400 odd mods that take our directions from you. It was amazingly naive to think this wouldn't set a precedent. Did you all honestly think that you'd be able to just ban a poster from boards for something he did elsewhere and nothing would be said or noted??? I sincerely hope there was at least a couple of you that understood this.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

K-9 wrote: »
    My reading of the EP thread is that it was directly linked to it.

Her actual post as a moderator was copied and pasted onto the thread.

Ok

Guanyin (on boards) greifs them about the league (xpert 11) so they decide to kick her from the league (xpert 11) although the do mention her attitude being a problem for some time.
    Then she reports this to the admins here (boards) and the look at comments made on the other forum (xpert 11) and decide to ban him from the soccer forum here (boards)?

It still doesn't make any sense - site ban or nothing don't just pick and choose where to most effect someones use of the site - have a little balls.
    It's like the 15th different argument that still has no basis in reality as to why helix should be banned - everytime the point are layed out that he shouldn't be banned a new stick is found to beat him with. It's total and udder :eek: bull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Any idea when a final decision as to this will be made? Or was the original decision made? To be honest I've no intention on using my boards account again, if this ban stays intact, no matter what site I visit (within legal remits of course) I reserve the right to be as big an arse as I want in any other aspect of my life.

mayordenis wrote: »
    Ok

Guanyin (on boards) greifs them about the league (xpert 11) so they decide to kick her from the league (xpert 11) although the do mention her attitude being a problem for some time.
    Then she reports this to the admins here (boards) and the look at comments made on the other forum (xpert 11) and decide to ban him from the soccer forum here (boards)?

It still doesn't make any sense - site ban or nothing don't just pick and choose where to most effect someones use of the site - have a little balls.
    It's like the 15th different argument that still has no basis in reality as to why helix should be banned - everytime the point are layed out that he shouldn't be banned a new stick is found to beat him with. It's total and udder :eek: bull.

I'm sure they didn't kick her out of the league for no reason. Still, they could have took up any issues over her warning on feedback/helpdesk.

I think a temporary ban on the soccer forum did make sense, it is after all the forum that GY moderates and the xpert 11 thread is on it.

A site wide ban would be completely OTT, as I think a permanent soccer ban is, especially because there is no precedent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

DSB wrote: »
    Any idea when a final decision as to this will be made? Or was the original decision made? To be honest I've no intention on using my boards account again, if this ban stays intact, no matter what site I visit (within legal remits of course) I reserve the right to be as big an arse as I want in any other aspect of my life.

fair play. like tennis, its all about the follow through.
    i dunno, i slag mods and admins every day on an application which has the boards name attached.. dont see the omnipotence coming in to ban me tho. put the line where you want

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I'm a bit confused so I tried to put the events into a RL situation

So GY works in lets say a gym. She is also a member of some club. Two lads from the club are complaining about GY's work in the gym to Helix (who is a member of the gym). Helix takes their comments and puts pen to paper. He creates a club memo with the abusive comments about GY. GY sees the memo and is upset.

She tells her managers (admins) about the abusive memo. The managers are not happy about one their staff being abused outside her workplace for her role in the gym. They decide to remove Helix's membership to this particular gym but allow him into the rest of the chain.

Is this the situation?*

Tbh, I don't see a problem with people being accountable for their remarks on other sites in regards to boards. If i went off abusing DeV on other site he visits and use his posts on boards as my material then I would hardly expect him to welcome me with open arms.

*Disclaimer: I may be looking at things in too simple a manner

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement