Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soccer forum. Re: Economist thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

t
    now, I have read the stuff in question, and i am a little shocked tat anyone can say that there was any respect in what was written. regardless of what you think of the personbeing written about, there was not a shred of respect in what was written.

that would be relevant if they were my opinions of her, i didnt go into my opinions of her aside from asking could i ban her. as explained in my second last post in the helpdesk thread, there was a bit of banter on another forum about it, users from that forum gave their opinions, i censored them and put them in a mock press release on the xpert eleven site because it was relevant to the people on that other forum who are in the league. it had nothing to do with boards, and even more importantly they werent my views and were clearly labeled as such

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

How long until this gets locked?

Doubt it will be.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I really don't like the idea of banning people for something that happened on another site. If someone was to throw abuse at me on feedback could I ban them from all the forums I mod? Because that's the same thing. It's not where I'd like to see things going.

is this exactley what just happend to Eagle eye? except he didnt even throw any abuse

is this exactley what just happend to Eagle eye? except he didnt even throw any abuse

No, I think Eagle Eye's ban is in relation to a post made on the Villa thread, Helix being a Villa fan and a regular poster on there, can't see how its a big deal to make reference to his absence.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Headshot wrote: »
    so im presuming you support the ban

may i ask why

you have presumed incorrectly, but i am not going to have mob rule over something that is already being discussed and sorted at a different level.

there is clearly a level of support that helix has, and it looks like it is mostly from his mates. thats fine, but having an opinion becuase someone is your matesis a dangerous path to tread.
    then there are people who are obviously a little worried that there is a precedence being set, and thats fine.
    then there are those who would just like to complain about moderators.

me, im simply looking at it from all angles.

the site was running something under boards.ie name. that makes it a part of what happens here as far as i am concened, so yes, if someone does something stupid, i do believe they should be accountable. you commit murder in hawii,youre still on american soil my friend.
    no, i do not believe there is a precedent set. if it was a completely random site, no affiliation to boards.ie, then yes, i would say its outrageous.

the post was uncalled for, petty, childish and plain old mean. regardless of what your thoughts are for a particular moderator, is it neccesary to bully them, becuase thats what that is.
    so, are we to condone bullying on this site now? personally, though, i would have told helix he's a stupid cnut and got on with it. if someone has to resort to those sort of tactics, they have already lost. but it still doesnt make it right in the first place.

I dont know who banned who, or for how long, but at this stage, as i said the admins are dealing with it.

there is also th option that regardless of what you do anywhere else, if youre a total dcik, you can still be banned. i like this rule i call it the 'dont be a dcik rule' and i think it covers lots of things.

do i think he should be banned. not really. am i worried he is banned. not really. the place is probably better off without that sort of rubbish happening. is it fair, not really, but life int fair, and this isnt a democracy. I think it is important if helixis banned then the final decision come from devore, becuase at the end of the day,its his site, and if he is going to ban anyone for being a dcik, he is the man to do it.

• Advertisement

Helix wrote: »
    and even more importantly they werent my views and were clearly labeled as such

thats just a cowardly reponse.

sorry, but that is just pathetic.

mock press release. you wrote it becuase you wanted to say a couple of things about someone, and you dont even have the balls to take reponsibility for it.

you have presumed incorrectly, but i am not going to have mob rule over something that is already being discussed and sorted at a different level.

there is clearly a level of support that helix has, and it looks like it is mostly from his mates. thats fine, but having an opinion becuase someone is your matesis a dangerous path to tread.
    then there are people who are obviously a little worried that there is a precedence being set, and thats fine.
    then there are those who would just like to complain about moderators.

me, im simply looking at it from all angles.

the site was running something under boards.ie name. that makes it a part of what happens here as far as i am concened, so yes, if someone does something stupid, i do believe they should be accountable. you commit murder in hawii,youre still on american soil my friend.
    no, i do not believe there is a precedent set. if it was a completely random site, no affiliation to boards.ie, then yes, i would say its outrageous.

the post was uncalled for, petty, childish and plain old mean. regardless of what your thoughts are for a particular moderator, is it neccesary to bully them, becuase thats what that is.
    so, are we to condone bullying on this site now? personally, though, i would have told helix he's a stupid cnut and got on with it. if someone has to resort to those sort of tactics, they have already lost. but it still doesnt make it right in the first place.

I dont know who banned who, or for how long, but at this stage, as i said the admins are dealing with it.

there is also th option that regardless of what you do anywhere else, if youre a total dcik, you can still be banned. i like this rule i call it the 'dont be a dcik rule' and i think it covers lots of things.

do i think he should be banned. not really. am i worried he is banned. not really. the place is probably better off without that sort of rubbish happening. is it fair, not really, but life int fair, and this isnt a democracy. I think it is important if helixis banned then the final decision come from devore, becuase at the end of the day,its his site, and if he is going to ban anyone for being a dcik, he is the man to do it.

I for one can't claim any real friendship with Helix, he seems ok enough on the Villa forum, but thats as far as it gos. I think thats the case for most.

i republished other peoples opinions, i didnt give any of my own about her :confused:

if this is to be a bannable offence, then anyone who posts anything remotely off center from the news media will be treated as if the post is their own opinions. in the football thread if someone posts that eamon dunphy called ronaldo a new name this week, that will be classed as personal abuse towards ronaldo by the poster, and therefore a bannable offence. if the thing posted on xpert eleven was me saying "i think so and so is a so and so" then it would be personal abuse. i posted what two other players of the game said on a different website because it was relevant to the players on that website who were in the league.

too many people seem to be under the illusion that i made up the whole thing as a dig at her. i didnt. it was relevant to players of the game on another website

so shall we ban the people who said it then, since they dont use boards? rather than the person who copied, pasted, and attributed the comments?

DSB wrote: »
    I for one can't claim any real friendship with Helix, he seems ok enough on the Villa forum, but thats as far as it gos. I think thats the case for most.

100% in the same for me. infact there are quite a few of us posting here who generally disagree with Helix when he poss but genuinley feel neiter himself or Eagle eye now should be banned.

you wrote it becuase you wanted to say a couple of things about someone, and you dont even have the balls to take reponsibility for it.

i didnt say those things though

how many times have i to say it, they were said by 2 other players and attributed as being said by 2 other players

do i want her removed from the league? absolutely, ive never made a secret of that. and im well within my rights to want her removed from it, because she has caused nothing but hassle within the league for the last few weeks

but i will absolutely NOT apologise for the opinions of anyone else, nor for reposting them somewhere that was relevant

3 bannings from soccer directly or indirectly related to it now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Are we allowed contribute to this discussion? Or will it be locked?

too many people seem to be under the illusion that i made up the whole thing as a dig at her. i didnt. it was relevant to players of the game on another website
    ?

you may need to improve your journalistic skills in that case my friend, becuase you appeared to have truely missed the mark with what you aimed for.

importnatly i think its interesting to note how many people are making complaints about a certain female moerator of the soccer forum, the person that your 'press release' was aimed at. it would seem that many of them also took a different message from what yo uwere trying to get across.
    sorry, what was that message again?
    so shall we ban the people who said it then, since they dont use boards? rather than the person who copied, pasted, and attributed the comments?

how can you ban people who arent on boards.ie?

as for the copy paste thin, well, yes, you an be banned for that. becuase its called being a dcik :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

PHB wrote: »

I for one am still waiting...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

I would also like to add that I am in no way friendly with Helix. I dont even think Ive ever had a conversation/discussion with him either in thread or otherwise.

you may need to improve your journalistic skills in that case my friend, becuase you appeared to have truely missed the mark with what you aimed for.

importnatly i think its interesting to note how many people are making complaints about a certain female moerator of the soccer forum, the person that your 'press release' was aimed at. it would seem that many of them also took a different message from what yo uwere trying to get across.

how can you ban people who arent on boards.ie?

as for the copy paste thin, well, yes, you an be banned for that. becuase its called being a dcik :)

As a matter of interest, how come you don't mind posting personal abuse?

this:
    in a discussion thread about the league in question, 2 players who do not use boards posted the quotes (there are quite a few boards users using that particular site too as far as im aware), and the discussion of kicking guanyin from the league has cropped up on more than one occasion.

since there are a sizeable number of players from the league on that board, i issued a mickey take press release on xperteleven (as guanyin had instructed 2 players to do in the xpert league thread in soccer, if you remember correctly) using quotes from the thread and discussing the topic at hand. while it may not have been relevant to players who arent members of that forum, it was still relevant to a hefty number who are and who were involved in the on thread discussions

in summation, once again, the quotes were from people playing within the league (the banhammer quote was from be, as attributed), and they were about events relevant to the league

PHB wrote: »

contribte but keep it civil, this is what feedback is for tbh, i see no reason for locking it even if it may get messy

• Registered Users Posts: 54,359 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I would also like to add that I am in no way friendly with Helix. I dont even think Ive ever had a conversation/discussion with him either in thread or otherwise.

Ditto

3 bannings from soccer directly or indirectly related to it now

take it up with the admins.
    but i will absolutely NOT apologise for the opinions of anyone else, nor for reposting them somewhere that was relevant

i havent asked you to, not do i wish you to. iam simply sying i thik its pathetic to attack someone like that and not have the balls to take reponsibility, but that says more about you than anyone else.
    ido i want her removed from the league? absolutely, ive never made a secret of that. and im well within my rights to want her removed from it, because she has caused nothing but hassle within the league for the last few weeks

then remove her. blah blah blah. who cares.
    i didnt say those things though
    yeah yeah, we know, whatever, youre a fcuking saint.

but, do i think you should be banned for what you wrote. no i dont.

and here are the original posts from that board, not by me

1.jpg

and my post on that board, by me

2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

This will be my only post.

http://forum.electricpicnic.ie/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=327&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=5760

You can work out who is who.

I didn't make the decision to ban Helix, the Admins made the call.

Eagle eye was banned for posting about moderation decisions twice (he was only banned after posting again when his first post was deleted) and he was banned for two days while the soccer mods discuss the matter. Any further discussion of this belongs in helpdesk.

DSB wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, how come you don't mind posting personal abuse?

there is no personal abuse there.

i havent asked you to, not do i wish you to. iam simply sying i thik its pathetic to attack someone like that and not have the balls to take reponsibility, but that says more about you than anyone else.

again, i wont take responsibility for someone elses opinion. ill take responsibility for mine. i want her kicked out of the league, ive never claimed otherwise. but the opinions of other people, i wont apologise for

nor will i apologise for reposting them in the most relevant place for them

had i posted them on boards, then fair enough, but i didnt. i posted them on a website that has nothing to do with boards, an independent third party website

in fact, if we want to be technical, the league im in wasnt even the boards league. its called "division 2", the league shes in wasnt called the boards league either, it was called "division 3", only the top flight bore the name boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

i have no affinity with helix or anything however i am going to side with him. I myself wrote quite an inflammatory blog some time ago and criticised a mod unfairly however at the time i was venting etc. Now i used my signature to advertise the blog, it was linked through boards and i posted "new blog up"type post on boards. I mentioned the mod by name and boards by name. No action was taken as it was deemed to be off site and therefore no policing could take place as no rules were broken. Now after reading the thread the last few days it seem this is a similar case and its pretty shambolic that he is banned imo

GuanYin wrote: »
    http://forum.electricpicnic.ie/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=327&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=5796

I didn't make the decision to ban Helix, the Admins made the call.

so, i can only surmise the admins have banned him while deliberating.

there is no personal abuse there.

Well I'm no mod, but since this is feedback, and you're a mod, I'd like to make it known that I'd consider telling someone they're being a dikc to be personal abuse, and that if a normal poster said it to a mod they'd be crucified and have you in here calling them cowards etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

I have never met Helix though i suspect i have stood in the same queues for flights as him to and from Brum.

I don't play xpert11 but it seems obvious Helix was perma banned from a boards forum because of his activities elsewhere on the net. Where does it end? has a precedent been established? where in the famous soccer forum charter does it say you get banned for activites offsite?.

so, i can only surmise the admins have banned him while deliberating.

no, they have issued a permaban

again, i wont take responsibility for someone elses opinion. ill take responsibility for mine. i want her kicked out of the league, ive never claimed otherwise. but the opinions of other people, i wont apologise for

nor will i apologise for reposting them in the most relevant place for them

had i posted them on boards, then fair enough, but i didnt. i posted them on a website that has nothing to do with boards, an independent third party website

in fact, if we want to be technical, the league im in wasnt even the boards league. its called "division 2", the league shes in wasnt called the boards league either, it was called "division 3", only the top flight bore the name boards.ie

life isnt technicalities, so dont bother with them. its not up to me. i have no input into what happens :)

and nor do i want an apology for anything. ive stated my opinion. it was a cheap shot. dont shoot the messenger doesnt really work for me when the messenger not only delivered, but researched and edited and put together the message as well. you know what i mean?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

to be fair if I post that mod X is a prick on my twitter (fully understanding this is hypothetical) I think you have no right to use another site to make judgments on this site with.
    However the admins make the rules and as usual buddy together - strange that there opinions are identical on this, something that isn't straight forward yet not one person on the team will say a single word in support possibly of Helix, stinks in reality..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement