Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soccer forum. Re: Economist thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

lordgoat wrote: »
    You banned him for that? ****ing hell that's harsh. It smacks of, 'eh no one's allowed be mean to me or else i'm banning them'

Helix, i don't know you but i completely am against your ban. From here it seems you got banned for something retrospectively.
    Do you read at all??

She did not ban him. I cannot believe you have come this far in the thread and have not even come to grips with that aspect of this discussion. Perhaps you should start again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Dudess wrote: »
    Well you and I know there's more to it than that, hence a punishment being fair game.

I know he did more than that, others don't though.

id love to know what that is? because considering the fact that its me whos meant to have done it, and i have no idea what youre on about, i suspect its nonsense. could someone pm me this heinous act ive carried out that warrants this permaban? or is it classified information that even im not allowed to know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Dudess wrote: »
    Well GuanYin has had to put up with constant harassment (some of it absolutely repulsive) from Helix and his sidekicks - this episode appears to have been the final straw.

im pretty sure she hasnt

not on anything with boards.ie in the title, which is the main issue here isnt it? im pretty sure ive spoken of my dislike for her before on another forum, but that doesnt fall within the remit thats being argued here, so id like to see these examples?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

mayordenis wrote: »
    in this league thing? because it's still not tackling the point that is an external independant entity to boards

They used the boards name, they made the connection to here themselves

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Daysha wrote: »
    Would it not be fair for the Admins to say "ok, this is a situation that we couldn't foresee, and given the possible ramifications of a permaban, and given the obvious anger and dissappointment of such a possibility occuring, we are happy to wipe the slate clean".

Ok, I'm not sure if you read my last post, but I said I was leaning towards a stepping-back of the ban. However, I still remain so completely and absolutely unimpressed by Helix's attitude towards all of this. It's all too cavalier.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

orestes wrote: »
    They used the boards name, they made the connection to here themselves

it's a flimsy connection - flimsiest of the flimsy - the fact that some of the league members are not boardsies further strenghtens that point.

I'm going to start writing boards on things and saying that they come under my moderatorship.

Hey don't touch my Boards.ie Chicken Sandwich or I'll ban you so quick.

Ok, I'm not sure if you read my last post, but I said I was leaning towards a stepping-back of the ban. However, I still remain so completely and absolutely unimpressed by Helix's attitude towards all of this. It's all too cavalier.

See this is the main issue with the them and us mentality - He doesn't believe he has done anything wrong, but you want him to apologise profusely.
    It's so empty and hollow it's unreal.

it's a flimsy connection - flimsiest of the flimsy - the fact that some of the league members are not boardsies further strenghtens that point.

I'm going to start writing boards on things and saying that they come under my moderatorship.

Hey don't touch my Boards.ie Chicken Sandwich or I'll ban you so quick.

Does your chicken sandwich abuse you very often? If it does I think you have more important matters to address than this thread

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Do you read at all??

She did not ban him. I cannot believe you have come this far in the thread and have not even come to grips with that aspect of this discussion. Perhaps you should start again.

Apologies then, the main point still stands as the reason for his ban.

As ever a great post.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Jazzy wrote: »
    amazingly the gaming forums tend to be a vaccuum for fun and banter nowadays. gaming is pretty serious... its all about the HEGA - Hardcore Esports Gaming Action

Maybe a hosted forum would make more sense. Or just use the topic for sign ups and discussion OF the game's mechanics. Take the ingame banter outside of boards.

• Advertisement

orestes wrote: »
    Does your chicken sandwich abuse you very often? If it does I think you have more important matters to address than this thread

But abuse is just one facet of where this can be applied - you either apply it to all boards rules on every forum or without wanting to be to crude here you (communual you not directly you) stfu and gtfo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

GuanYin wrote:

this is one of those things were i would like to say one thing but i dont know if it would be abuse or not as abuse isnt clarified. do i entreat a ban by saying the obvious with the relative obscurity of what is abuse as my shield or do i say nothing and prance around the issue with the jilted hope that my point becomes clear and looked on favourably? how do you bend the rules without breaking them? that is the main issue on the soccer forum and ultimately more important then this one.

alright, ill do a Two-Face and flip a coin.
    Tails.
    "get the rod out of your ass"

• Registered Users Posts: 38,459 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

What has Helix's attitude got to do with all this?

Did he break a soccer forum rule?

Well then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

eagle eye wrote: »
    What has Helix's attitude got to do with all this?

Did he break a soccer forum rule?

Well then.

Using common sense is a general rule on boards.ie. Helix most certainly didn't use his

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

See this is the main issue with the them and us mentality - He doesn't believe he has done anything wrong, but you want him to apologise profusely.
    You're like a tabloid journalist a bit, aren't you? I never asked Helix to apologise, let alone apologise profusely. Admit that what he did was abusive, yes.

It's so empty and hollow it's unreal.
    You're like a tabloid journalist at bit, aren't you? Why on earth would this be empty and hollow? I think it's quite complex and interesting. I also think it's quite real.

You're like a tabloid journalist a bit, aren't you? I never asked Helix to apologise, let alone apologise profusely. Admit that what he did was abusive, yes.
    You're like a tabloid journalist at bit, aren't you? Why on earth would this be empty and hollow? I think it's quite complex and interesting. I also think it's quite real.

Your are still asking for him to admit wrong doing. Sure he can just say what he did was wrong and get back in most likely - but the point at hand is that you (and what seems like an overall minority) thing he did wrong and until you have your pound of flesh he stays banned.
    You continued to blather on about his poor attitude someone calls you on it and they are a tabloid journalist, it's petty the whole thing is just petty protectionism.

Onkle wrote: »
    Using common sense is a general rule on boards.ie. Helix most certainly didn't use his

What Helix posted was perfectly acceptable on the site he posted it on.

Its like something is illegal in one country and not in another. So you do it in the latter country and not in the former. And you break no laws/rules.

Its like something is illegal in one country and not in another. So you do it in the latter country and not in the former. And you break no laws/rules.

The whole I smoked a **** load of pot and ****ed a load of hookers in amsterdam defence, flawless.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

You're like a tabloid journalist a bit, aren't you?

is that not abuse? mayordennis does a lot of well known journalistic work and a lot of ppl know him on boards for this. are u not degrading him and his work? degenerating him to the depths (or lack of) of tabloid journalism.
    but ultimately you are not being abusive. it is just your opinion, a readily cited defence if ever there was one. and in guanyins case, she decided to put the line where it best suited her. arent mods the ones who decide what abuse is? i have seen a zillion examples of this and if i was bothered i could dig up far more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

If you brag about doing it in a country where it is illegal and bring photos of you doing it you will be investigated and maybe charged and punished, just cos it's legal in thailand....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

But he was on another website. :mad::mad:

If I went onto my bebo now and slated all the moderators etc would I be getting a ban from boards?

You asked what boards.ie rule he broke, well soccer forum rule. I answered.

I don't think he showed much cop on doing what he did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Your are still asking for him to admit wrong doing. Sure he can just say what he did was wrong and get back in most likely - but the point at hand is that you (and what seems like an overall minority) thing he did wrong and until you have your pound of flesh he stays banned.
    You continued to blather on about his poor attitude someone calls you on it and they are a tabloid journalist, it's petty the whole thing is just petty protectionism.

Mayordennis, it's really none of my business. BUT, what the guy on the other forum did was abusive. I'm the last person to be a boards party-line yes man. I disagree strongly with the ban.

But, it does look bad. It's the kind of thing you post to take a poke at another poster, without really taking responsibility for it. I'm on your side with regard to most things about this. But I think hullabaloo has it spot on by taking the "it was abusive, but not worthy of a ban" line (apologies if I've misinterpreted your stance!).

Juts my opinion, but it's not some kind of mod-opinion. I think it was just a nasty enough thing to post, regardless of whether some els e said it, or whether you think it's true.

That_Guy wrote: »

If I went onto my bebo now and slated all the moderators etc would I be getting a ban from boards?

Is your bebo called 'boards.ie bebo'

You asked what boards.ie rule he broke, well soccer forum rule. I answered.

I don't think he showed much cop on doing what he did
    Your answer had to do with stuff posted on boards.ie and not another website. He broke no rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

But it's fuzzier than that. People are allowed to not like each other. I am sure you have banned people and thought what an idiot. I am sure there are posters you don't like here. However on boards we thread a careful line not to abuse each other, the policy of play the ball etc.
    However asking posters to bite their tongue about each other across the net is hugely different and is where this issue is going. I don't see why the name of the league is important. It could be renamed, would it change the issue for you if someone repeated what Helix did then?
    Also if the ban is for abuse then why the soccer forum? As far as I know GY mods plenty of forums and can post in any forum. I really don't understand that side to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Is your bebo called 'boards.ie bebo'

Was Helix' league called boards.ie league.... No.. If I remember reading a post on the early pages of this thread I believe it was called "Division 2"

That_Guy wrote: »

Anyone with a bebo should be banned from boards regardless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Sorry to post again, but it was requested I clarify something.

Just to refute the claim that this was banter or that Helix was just relaying information and not intending to abuse.

Just to point out, I have no problem with these posts.. I don't post there, I don't read there, it is posted about me behind my back and thats ok.

I do have a problem with someone pre-meditating abuse because of my modding and then directing it at me so I'll see it. That is a different game.

But all in all, I complained to the admins and let them decide.

KevIRL: OH FFS. Check this post on boards from Guan Yin.

Event: kev, seriously, boot her from that league
    she's a ****ing gimp, end of story

Helix:yeh kev, just ****ing kick her
    shes been acting the bollox for too long

in fact, if you dont wanna do it give me the ban hammer for 10 minutes and ill do it

KevIRL:Kicking her out is just letting her win imo.
    Use the press releases

Helix:f*ck it, this is no time to be moral and try to gain ground on her
    just kick her
    she'll ban anyone from boards who writes negative press releases about her. theyve done it before for off site stuff

Helix:im debating issuing an official press release calling her a c*nt
    see what happens

Helix:f*ck her, its a private league
    ill have a look and see if theres anything expressly said in their terms about personal abuse in private leagues

Helix: bollox

Helix:yeh you can critisize her, just cant abuse her directly

Event:but type the word as c*nt
    actually replace the u with * yourself, then you "technically" didnt call her a cúnt, but a c*nt

Helix:how do yis think thatd go down as an official press release?

Helix: Posted it

KevIRL:Leave any reference to EP out of it I reckon. There's no reason that anyone need know about an EP link to this

After the ban.... re: complaining about me...
    lol

i dont think thatll work

but thats not to say i dont have something equally as petty in the works

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

in this league thing? because it's still not tackling the point that is an external independant entity to boards

Reading through this seems to have been avoided.

It matters not what the abuse is
    It matters not how much abuse.
    It matters not who the abuse is aimed at or from.
    It matters not who banned who.
    It matters not if there's more to it.
    It matters not if there's cloaks and daggers.

It's very simple: Have the admins or whoever banned someone for abuse to a boards member on another site.

If people can't see the basic fundamental problem there is with this and those who ignore it and flirt around PHB's questions and mayordenis' recent posts, then I think we're lost.

And did this PR get the 200 000 econ? :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement