Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats in your toolbox?!

Options
  • 02-06-2009 10:22pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My neighbour came in asking for some duct tape today and I had none! I don't seem to have a a great toolbox!

Just wondering is it possible to have the perfect toolbox or are people constantly adding to theirs??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

I've been working with wood in one form or another for the past 10 to 12 years, only really starting getting into it more professionally lately. I enjoy a bit of DIY too. In all that time I've been buying tools, constantly adding, for every tool there is another two or three that do a slightly different, or better job. There is no end to tools..........unfortunately for my wallet! :p

I'd imagine with the basics such as:

Hand tools
    Hammer
    Set of various sized flat and pozi head screwdrivers
    Various sized wrenches
    Pliers and vice grips
    knife
    Measuring tape
    saw (wood and metal)
    A chisel or two
    Rule or straight edge
    Combination square

Power Tools
    Corded drill
    Cordless drill (or perhaps a good one that had a decent hammer action to do away with a corded drill)
    Jigsaw
    Mitresaw

....you wouldnt be doing too bad for the odd jobs about the house.

To answer your question, no, I dont think its possible to have the perfect toolbox (ie a specific, proper tool for each task), but you could have an adequate one, you can always improvise also. I knew a fella once whom maintained that a hammer was the only tool you needed! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Afraid I have to disagree with croppy,there is one perfect tool box,or in this case callled a chest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

A box of plasters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭cork1

dubtom wrote: »
    Afraid I have to disagree with croppy,there is one perfect tool box,or in this case callled a chest

I WANT THIS!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I'd settle on a poster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Tools are built up over time! The perfect tool box starts off with

1 set of Lidl Electrical screwdrivers
    1 Claw hammer
    1 Junior and Full size hacksaw
    Spirit Level
    Rawl Plugs
    Masking tape
    Duct tape

All other tools can follow as required

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Tools are built up over time! The perfect tool box starts off with

1 set of Lidl Electrical screwdrivers
    1 Claw hammer
    1 Junior and Full size hacksaw
    Spirit Level
    Rawl Plugs
    Masking tape
    Duct tape

All other tools can follow as required

How are you ever going to fix anything without a hammer?:p

joeclif wrote: »
    How are you ever going to fix anything without a hammer?:p

read the list again please!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I have a few different toolboxes/ buckets built up over the years- one for general building tools (trowels, floats, concrete finishing tools), another for plumbing/ metalwork, another for mechanics tools and electrical tools. All my carpentry tools and power tools go in a secure cabinet. In my case the tool box contents just grow and grow over time.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

I have a few different toolboxes/ buckets built up over the years- one for general building tools (trowels, floats, concrete finishing tools), another for plumbing/ metalwork, another for mechanics tools and electrical tools. All my carpentry tools and power tools go in a secure cabinet. In my case the tool box contents just grow and grow over time.

Sounds like my better organised alter-ego.

To answer the original question, I'm constantly adding to mine.
    I suspect I will be for the remainder of my life.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Samson wrote: »
    Sounds like my better organised alter-ego.

To answer the original question, I'm constantly adding to mine.
    I suspect I will be for the remainder of my life.
    I thought myself that most people would be constantly adding to theirs. I must really get mine up to an acceptable level i.e not constantly asking the neighbour!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Apologies Joey.

Still, ONE hammer is hardly enough. You shoud have a 2lb ball pein, a 4lb lumper, a 6lb lumper and of course a sledge.

A selection of vicegrips are essential. Why use a spanner when a visegrips is so easy!

A 32" stilson is essential for overtightening everything in case of leaks.

Don't forget magic metal. Never fix what you can cover up long enough to get you paid!

And last but not least the all importand guild of master craftsman sticker in the back window.

All set now.

:)

Overquoting for jobs near you!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

A selection of vicegrips are essential. Why use a spanner when a visegrips is so easy!

Ah yes, the magic "Vise grips"- the wrong tool for EVERY job! That said I have several...

Apologies Joey.

Still, ONE hammer is hardly enough. You shoud have a 2lb ball pein, a 4lb lumper, a 6lb lumper and of course a sledge.

A 32" stilson is essential for overtightening everything in case of leaks.

Don't forget magic metal. Never fix what you can cover up long enough to get you paid!

And last but not least the all importand guild of master craftsman sticker in the back window.

All set now.

:)

Overquoting for jobs near you!!!!!

You can never have to many hammers and the bigger the better! I forgot the tool belt. It say "I know what I am doing and that usually means I am doing you"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I'm surprised nobody has said WD40. I have a tin in each of my toolboxes. It would embarrass me to attempt to list my tools. I can say about the only things I don't have are a compressor, welding plant or a router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

everything dewalt has.

and a Lock the size of dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭cork1

I forgot the tool belt.

make sure to hang your sledge off it! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭teepee

The most handys tool i have in my tool box is an estwing cats paw .
    Its brill for pulling nails very neat 4" wire nails . its a most for all carpenters esp for roofing . Hard to get in stores . Best bet is a google Estwing 10" handy bar .

Advertisement