Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CWO home visits re: "Mortgage Interest Supplement" - How Often & How does it goes?

Options
  • 02-06-2009 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

I have my own apartment and live in it - I have visitors here sometimes , such as friends staying .I heard weird stories about CWO visiting home , looking around and in wardrobes ect. scary. Also I wonder If they appear without notice and make issues about details. How does it look like and how often they bother people at home when you get your Mortgage Interest Supplement?
    I receive already Job Seeker’s Benefit and all documents prepared for Civil Officer in Local Health Centre. The only thing that bother me is 'nosy' visits of CWO. Pease advice and share your experience to show me a picture.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

Normally, as part of your initial Mortgage Interest Supplement application process, the CWO will visit your apartment.

If you have more than one bedroom, the CWO will probably suggest that you rent out these rooms to supplement your income.

If you only have one bedroom, then you shouldn’t really expect a visit very often apart from the initial one & if your situation doesn’t change then you would more than likely get a courtesy visit once or twice a year.

As it stands, your MIS itself will be reviewed on a regular basis (more than likely twice a year), & you will be required to complete a review form.

If you have more than one bedroom, & your situation doesn’t improve in a reasonable amount of time, & you haven’t been seen to ‘help yourself’ as in renting out the other bedrooms, then I would expect to be monitored on a more regular basis.

The only reason a CWO would ‘nose about’ is if they suspect that you have rented out other rooms & have not declared this to them (which is fraud).

If you have done nothing untoward (it’s not against the law to have visitors) & satisfy the conditions you have nothing to worry about, but bear in mind that the CWO is entitled to visit your home as often as he/she sees fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

What abour rural houses out in the country? Surely a CWO doesnt think someones gonna rent a room? That just doesnt happen rurally.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

as long as you can prove you've tried to rent it out (ie, have copies of ads you've put up in corner shops, evidence of advertising on daft that sort of thing) then the cwo won't be able to say you're not trying. Sort of like how in this economy, applying for jobs is a giant crap shoot, but as long as you've got the cover letters to prove you've continued trying... the social welfare can't say you haven't been.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭JUSTaCURIOCITY

jeckle wrote: »
    Normally, as part of your initial Mortgage Interest Supplement application process, the CWO will visit your apartment.

If you have more than one bedroom, the CWO will probably suggest that you rent out these rooms to supplement your income.

If you only have one bedroom, then you shouldn’t really expect a visit very often apart from the initial one & if your situation doesn’t change then you would more than likely get a courtesy visit once or twice a year.

As it stands, your MIS itself will be reviewed on a regular basis (more than likely twice a year), & you will be required to complete a review form.

If you have more than one bedroom, & your situation doesn’t improve in a reasonable amount of time, & you haven’t been seen to ‘help yourself’ as in renting out the other bedrooms, then I would expect to be monitored on a more regular basis.

The only reason a CWO would ‘nose about’ is if they suspect that you have rented out other rooms & have not declared this to them (which is fraud).

If you have done nothing untoward (it’s not against the law to have visitors) & satisfy the conditions you have nothing to worry about, but bear in mind that the CWO is entitled to visit your home as often as he/she sees fit.

That is actually the answer I can be grateful for :) Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭JUSTaCURIOCITY

dlambirl wrote: »
    What abour rural houses out in the country? Surely a CWO doesnt think someones gonna rent a room? That just doesnt happen rurally.

:eek:Fair enough- look . If you own a house in some country side - I do not think that your chance to rent it - even during 'tiger' is high enough. The whole regulation is nonsense. Have you ever seen the ' habitual ' form from HSE? I think people who create those forms and regulations has no idea where they up to indeed..

• Advertisement
Advertisement