Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is the sand dwelling creature

• 02-06-2009 10:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

There is a creature that lives in the sand of some Irish beaches that have been reported on a lot quite recently. These things can bite and their bite causes serious illness in infants. Does anyone know their name?

I remember first hearing of them on the Joe Duffy Show last year or the year before.

Regards,

D

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

That'd be the sand worms of Arrakis, makers of the spice.

seriously tho I've no idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

Thanks. I think I found it - the Weever Fish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

5uspect wrote: »
    That'd be the sand worms of Arrakis, makers of the spice.

seriously tho I've no idea.

They're only dangerous on a friday night...

I know a woman who stood on a weaver fish once; nasty things but it is advised to wear gym shoes where ever they are detected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

They don't bite but the spines have a toxin that is unpleasant if you get a jab.
    As with a lot of fish toxins heat denatures the protein that causes the pain.
    So if you do happen to get a whack from a weeverfish put the affected part under water as hot as you can stand, NOT boiling water but somewhere around 60 deg will be enough to help.
    I have had plenty of hits from poisonous fish over the years and this is the only real solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

CJhaughey wrote: »
    They don't bite but the spines have a toxin that is unpleasant if you get a jab.
    As with a lot of fish toxins heat denatures the protein that causes the pain.
    So if you do happen to get a whack from a weeverfish put the affected part under water as hot as you can stand, NOT boiling water but somewhere around 60 deg will be enough to help.
    I have had plenty of hits from poisonous fish over the years and this is the only real solution.

Doing a wee on the effected area relieves the pain too. This may be the quickest way to ease the pain! :)

And seriously I am not taking the pee!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Sundew wrote: »
    Doing a wee on the effected area relieves the pain too. This may be the quickest way to ease the pain! :)

And seriously I am not taking the pee!

I think you are thinking of Jellyfish stings, these are alkaline and indeed urine and vinegar neutralise the stings, Weeverfish don't sting like a jellyfish, the spines put the toxin inside your skin, peeing on the site won't do much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

Thank you all for coming back to me. We think we saw these weever fish at a beach in Waterford. The tide was out and we were wading at knee level and saw small fishy things darting out from under the sand.

I have read up on these guys and just in case, all of our kids have been decked out in those rubber boots that come with wet suits. They got the wet suits as well as they go charging into the sea fully dressed - even in their Sunday bests. The wet suits were v reasonable - €12.

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭AlanSparrowhawk

good stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Got stung by one of these fellas today in Lahinch and came across this thread during my research. Had never heard of em before. A lifeguard treated my foot using hot water as described by CJhaughey and it was very effective in relieving the pain and swelling. He said it's extremely common on Irish beaches, and says the pain is typically excruciating :eek: although it certainly wasn't that bad in my case. Think I'll be wearing booties from now on :)

Advertisement