Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new rider needs help. Please

• 02-06-2009 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi guys and of course girls. I am Just about to apply to do my theory test so i can get a bike licence. i have been driving cars for about 8 years and know alot about them. I'm about to take a trip in to the world of bikes but havent got a clue. have ridden approx 3 bikes in the past, did ok but couldn't even tell yea what bikes i've ridden. i'm looking for a good reliable bike 1 to 2 years old with small mileage. don't know what make to get but have decided i want something about 600 cc as thats what i've driven before and liked.

Any help would be appreciatedas ill be buying soon:confused:

thanks everyone for your responses

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

What style of bike are you interested in? How much do you have to spend?

What ever you get - it will have to be restricted to 33bhp

• Registered Users Posts: 49 cgan086

not sure what style of bike i'm after yet, but i want to spend a maximum of about 8500. Why would it half to be limited to 33 bhp?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭JCDenton

Here's a "copy and paste" from the rules of the road...
    Conditions attached to categories

Motorcycles
    Category A provisional licence holders are entitled to drive motorcycles with:
    • an engine power output of 25kW or less, or
    • a power/weight ratio of 0.16kW/kg or less.
    The restriction applies for as long as you hold a provisional licence for this
    category and continues for the first two years of a full category A licence.
    It is your responsibility to check the power of the motorcycle. If you are in any
    doubt, consult with the dealer/manufacturer.

As such, you've got to get a bike that's under 33bhp to learn on if you've got a learner's permit. Or, a bigger bike, that's been restricted to fit into this category.

As for the bike though; it all really depends on what type you're looking for!

Maybe a trip around a few garages will give you a better idea of what you want to go for... (cruiser/tourer/dual-sport, etc...)

Personally though, I don't think you can go wrong with a Bros 400?

*Edit*

Or, a Kawasaki Ninja 250R
    Or, a Restricted Suzuki 650
    Or, a Honda Varadero
    Or, a Suzuki Marauder 250

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

No way would I go for the vardero. Seriously underpowered even for a 125. Unless ya meant the 1000 then that be cool.
    Id go for a restricted 600 or bigger if I was op. Gsxr be good or cbr.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭DivX

Also I'd keep the cost of the bike down also, you have to factor in proper riding gear, helmet, boots and bike lessons.

You might spend that much on a bike today and regret it if you're now sure what type of bike style you like, be it shorts/cruiser/enduro/adventure/naked or whatever.

Geez I sound like an old man, but I started on the small bikes and worked my way up along as my experience expanded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

I'll have to recommend the Suzuki GS500. Brand new to bikes too, got it about a month ago and love it. Perfect beginners bike imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

with the way bike prices are gone lately you could get a few bikes for 8.5 G and have them all insured under 1 policy aswell so when your fed up riding 1 bike you could all hop up on the next 1 :)

I appreciate everyones advice but still have one big question. i understand BHP but what does that translate into in CC value like 250cc or like 600 cc ?

I'd like something along the lines of a kawasaki ninja or something with that kind of look for a reosonable price.

Any advice would be brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

cgan086 wrote: »
    I appreciate everyones advice but still have one big question. i understand BHP but what does that translate into in CC value like 250cc or like 600 cc ?

I'd like something along the lines of a kawasaki ninja or something with that kind of look for a reosonable price.

Any advice would be brilliant.

it means wotever big cc(more than a 125cc or a 250cc cruiser) bike you get it will have to be restricted to 33bhp so you can leagely drive it,you can have most bikes to drive but if engine hp exceeds 33bhp it will need rectriction

Who checks that the bikes are limited. it's not that i intend to lie but i'm just interested? I am really familiar with ppl buying bikes too big for them and crashing as a result but how exactly is it enforced.

I'm really looking forward too my first bike but i still don't know where i might get it serviced or repaired, any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

cgan086 wrote: »
    Who checks that the bikes are limited. it's not that i intend to lie but i'm just interested? I am really familiar with ppl buying bikes too big for them and crashing as a result but how exactly is it enforced.

I'm really looking forward too my first bike but i still don't know where i might get it serviced or repaired, any ideas?

To be honest you could get what ever bike you want in reality and ride it on the road, no one is going to stop you, but if anything happens your insurance will be worthless to you as they wont entertain you if your riding anything outside the learner rules. They'll probably still take your money off you in the first place, but when it comes to you needing them they wont be there.

In short, if you're riding a bike which is too powerful, you are riding with out insurance, even if the insurance company took your money and gave you a policy.

Advertisement