Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Channel 4 NOW! Monkey babies.

Options
  • 02-06-2009 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭

Anyone watching the programme about the people with their monkeys that they are calling their children? They are not pets. These people actually call the monkeys their children.:confused:

I find this really odd.

One of the people had 6 kids herself and now doesn't speak to any of them and pretends her monkey is her daughter! She says the reason she got a monkey is that she didn't want it to ever grow up, leave or get married like her children did.

One couple have just adopted a monkey and said that the breeders sometimes take the babies away from the mothers at birth. :(
    If they really loved monkeys that much, surely they would want whats best for the monkey.

Once again, this world astonishes me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

Yeaaahhhhh....... I saw a trailer for that during the week with one of the monkys in a pink tutu or something....

Some ppl are a little odd.... to say the least..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

As the saying goes "It could only happen in America"

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Most of the people didn't/couldn't have kids. It's perfectly reasonible for those people to want to live paternal lives through any means available ie. Adaption, Serrogacy etc

I don't find it odd that some people chose to do it through this particular method really.

As for the woman that had kids of her own, well... each to their own tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭rororoyourboat

Did anyone else find the part when they showed the mother of the baby monkey, locked up in a cage, as they took her newborn away from her, quite unsettling?

And the woman who put make-up on her monkey? That was disturbing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Did anyone else find the part when they showed the mother of the baby monkey, locked up in a cage, as they took her newborn away from her, quite unsettling?

And the woman who put make-up on her monkey? That was disturbing!

I wanted to jump into my television screen and give the mammy monkey a big hug, then help her escape and the two of us beat the bejaysus outta the people that took the cute liitle baby away.

Must say though, the baby monkey was a smooth talker, got me one off with a speeding ticket and all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Ok I was saddened & very angry watching this.

Monkeys are amazing animals & should not be considered as a baby substitute.

The woman who puts make up on her "daughter" & feeds it heaps of sugar is going to have a very unhealthy animal there!

I do actually own a monkey - some of you will already know this. Jack is a red bellied tamarin - he was rejected by his mother at 4 weeks of age along with his brother. The breeder hand reared Jack till he was off of the bottle at 12 weeks of age. He was rejected after his father died of old age (bless him) The fathers have a big role in the rearing of baby primates. Jack currently lives in a very large parrot cage (one designed for breeding macaws) but will live outside once I locate a parent reared year old female. When the breeder showed the couple the parents she should have left the baby in another room - the cages were far too small for those large monkeys! Jacks current cage is around the same size but he is way smaller than the capuchins. Watching the mum trying to reach her baby was heart breaking :(

What the show did not highlight is how aggressive these animals can get when the mature - Jack is tiny but can bite hard & has very sharp claws!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭stiff kitten

ya....i saw this. I had to laugh... the monkey there waiting for "mammy" to put her lipstick on her.......

ok...some of these women cant have kids and see this as their only option

they could have adopted...theres lots of children without homes in society.

the monkey grows up without natural wild instints...
    can be done however...i used to have a pet calf and the mother abondoned it so i had to feed it every day until it was old enough to eat grass and it grew up unafraid of humans.

Animals should live in harmony with humans but there has to be a line drawn somewhere. How close is close! (thinkn about the evolution theory!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

ok...some of these women cant have kids and see this as their only option
    they could have adopted...theres lots of children without homes in society.

TBH, I'm glad its monkeys they have and not kids. Except the young couple. They seemed normal enough but TBH I do not like when people keep monkeys. I don't think they should be kept as pets ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

TBH, I'm glad its monkeys they have and not kids. Except the young couple. They seemed normal enough but TBH I do not like when people keep monkeys. I don't think they should be kept as pets ever.
    That young couple should not be allowed to have monkeys at all. Sure me man had a vasectomy at 22 so he couldnt have kids. From what I picked up from the show is that monkeys need more care than children.

That other woman was strange aswell. She has 6 grown up kids and doesnt toalk to them cos "they grew up" poor Jessica.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I watched the program. I felt sorry for the three couples as I imagine they must have more 'baggage' than the norm.

The breeder who had the monkeys in small cages angried me, sure peoples showers are bigger than those yokes!

Monkeys should be kept in enclosures not cages, it was mean to be bringing the baby back in sight of the mother. I wonder how profit the breeder makes?

I was surprised the 18 year old Capuchin had lasted so long with such an awful diet. Poor thing didn't know she was a monkey, at least the other woman acknowledged that her charges know they are monkeys.

I found it sad at times as I kept thinking about all the children in foster care. I wonder if any of the participants have/would consider this option?

It's ridiculous to assume they will infantile for their entire lives, wouldn't surprise me if most got a shock when their animal reached sexual maturity.

Is there a registered stud book being kept for these pets to prevent inbreeding.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Munster Gal

doctor evil, the young couple paid $4500 for the baby monkey.

I watched bits and pieces of the show and felt sorry for everyone in it TBH. They all need lots of therapy - the problem was they were viewing the monkeys as their children which is so wrong. You can be a loving, responsible pet owner but know that it's your pet and not your child. This doesn't lessen the love you have for your pet one little bit or make it any less real. I know plenty of people who have more love for their pets than they do for some family members but at the end of the day they don't see the pet as a substitute child.

I had huge concerns for all the monkeys. The lady who had several monkeys scared the daylights out of me when she called a pet psychic to see if the monkey had taken her medication instead of bringing it to a vet!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

I had huge concerns for all the monkeys. The lady who had several monkeys scared the daylights out of me when she called a pet psychic to see if the monkey had taken her medication instead of bringing it to a vet!!

Oh yeah, that was classic. That was one of those situations where you just have to laugh, otherwise you'l cry!:D

Advertisement