Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Colour Coded Bumpers (Golf)

• 02-06-2009 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone advise me on the best way of colour coding the bumpers on a MkV Golf?

Can an auto-painter re do the existing bumpers or do you have to buy new ones altogether to match the metallic finish?

And if I have to get new ones, do I go back to the dealer?

Also, is it stupidly expensive?

The few Golfs that I've seen with colour coded bumpers look miles better than the stock versions,

Cheers lads

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

presume you mean the rubbibg strips and the bottom half of the back bumper?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭nameandanumber

Yeah, that's it.

I tried to find a picture and came across this:

http://www.gerrycumiskey.ie/contentv3/index.cfm?fuseaction=page&pageID=15803

That's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for.

Anyone know anything about these lads or how much a kit like that would cost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭D/C

Looking to get this done myself, was told to be very careful to get the right people to do the job and make sure its the correct paint!

If your doing the back bumper also do the front should make the car alot more streamlined for use of a better word! Mine is a metallic silver!

Also want to put the gti wheels and alloys on her! think that would complete the car nicely!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

You're best of buying the smaller rubs strips new and primed.

It's very costly to get them done right, and if you don't get them done right they'll look crap and crack and peel over time.

What's involved is the sand down the existing rubs strips to take the little bumps out of them, they use some sort of expensive plastic primer followed by paint.

I got a quote from a few places for the MK4 and they were in excess of 500-600.

If you got the rub strips new that were already sanded and primed it would take out most of the work, and you should be left with a better result.

What ever you do don't get a cheapy job done, as it'll look crap, and more than likely the paint will fall off and crack.

What colour is the car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

I got this done to my Mk 4 Golf and it made a massive difference.
    Got a work contact to do it for €200 but it would have been way more cos there's a bit of labour involved with all the sanding, as Limerickman said. Was worth it to me but mightn't be to everybody

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭nameandanumber

You're best of buying the smaller rubs strips new and primed.

It's very costly to get them done right, and if you don't get them done right they'll look crap and crack and peel over time.

What's involved is the sand down the existing rubs strips to take the little bumps out of them, they use some sort of expensive plastic primer followed by paint.

I got a quote from a few places for the MK4 and they were in excess of 500-600.

If you got the rub strips new that were already sanded and primed it would take out most of the work, and you should be left with a better result.

What ever you do don't get a cheapy job done, as it'll look crap, and more than likely the paint will fall off and crack.

What colour is the car?

Thanks for all the replies.

Yeah when I get it done I'll be getting both back and front at the same time. Can anyone recommend a place in Dublin that would do it? It's a job I'd like to get done properly otherwise it could look completely crap. I've a feeling that kit I posted above would cost a bomb so might have to look at other options...

It's this colour:

Golf_GT_Sport_Blue.jpg

I'm also looking for a set of them wheels. Don't think I'd put GTi wheels on it though...

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Brabus

I agree it makes a massive difference to the appearance of it. There are so few of them around that have the colour coded bumpers & rub strips.
    Lately, I saw a red Golf with the bumpers done like that and I could only admire it as it looked so well.
    Why do VW persist with that awful black bumper, considering it takes up so much of the rear panel.
    Probably to accomodate the owner who isin't worried about picking up a few scrapes & scratches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Brabus wrote: »
    Why do VW persist with that awful black bumper, considering it takes up so much of the rear panel.

I'd say it's mostly to have visual differences between the model variants. If they were all the same, people wouldn't go for the higher specs.

I agree with you though, the black on the back of the MK5 is awful.

Advertisement