Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windsurfing anyone?

Options
  • 02-06-2009 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭

Im a long time member on this site but never ever used it. Only started using it since i got internet on my phone and found this forum for surfing.

Anyway, is their many windsurfers on here? If there is where do ye hit the water and what kit do you use?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I'm a windsurfer but I don't think there are many around here. The main windsurfing discussion group in Ireland is here, its a fairly small but friendly community. Other good resources are boards.co.uk and bigsurf.ie. I wouldn't mind a bit more windsurf talk here though.

I mostly sail in Galway (Rusheen Bay, Salthill or Silverstrand) with occasional trips to Kerry (Maharees). Dying to try out the waves in Lahinch soon though. I use a 111l freeride board and an 84l waveboard. Need to pick up some more sails and rigging stuff though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭will3k

I do a bit on the east coast, usually Malahide or Seapoint.
    I'm on a Bic Tecno 148l at the moment. It's kinda coming together the last few sessions I've been out, feeling much more comfortable in the harness + straps now, but no joy with the carve gybes / waterstarts just yet :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭PjC

Cool! thanks for the links!

I just ordered a Fanatic Viper today, 190L with a 6m rig. I tried windsurfing on hols in furte last nov and absolutely loved it. Gave up laser sailing YEARS ago 'cos it was getting boring. You can only go so far with club/irish racing before you get bored of it!

I'm gonna be doing it outta kilmore with the odd trip to the west and tramore once I get handy. Could take some time haha

PjC wrote: »

I just ordered a Fanatic Viper today, 190L with a 6m rig. I tried windsurfing on hols in furte last nov and absolutely loved it. Gave up laser sailing YEARS ago 'cos it was getting boring. You can only go so far with club/irish racing before you get bored of it!

I'm gonna be doing it outta kilmore with the odd trip to the west and tramore once I get handy. Could take some time haha

The great thing about windsurfing is that you can go out in the water every day for years and still learn something new each time. There's always something to be working at. Get out as much as possible over the summer - that setup sounds great for someone starting off but if you make good progress over the summer you'll be dying to get a smaller board soon :) its also a good idea to get the odd lesson so you don't pick up bad habits, or at least get a book/DVD or something.

Have a few books but will have to get a dvd or two. I lost my job earlier this year so im hoping to get out every day that suits my ability over the summer. I was a bit worried bout what board to buy incase i did out grow it of it quickly but i figured no matter what i bought if i used it 3 or 4 times a week for the summer and had out grown it by then it would hav been well worth it!

How long you been at it yourself?

• Advertisement

I've been at it just over a year. I was lucky enough to get out 3-4 evenings per week last summer so I got hooked pretty quickly. Would prefer to be getting out more often this year - its very easy to get rusty very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Poster King

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/windsurfireland/

This is the main irish windsurfig chat group and is a great resource for all things windsurfing related. Just search previous posts for info on pretty much anything windsurfing related, and if you don't find the info you want just ask. Lots of very helpful and experienced sailors on this list.

ALso check out the new http://windsurfing.ie/ IWA website

Yeah i should be a member of the iwa by now, i was using that and the iss site before i found here and the yahoo group

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭zidewayz

hello all. I used to be a frequent windsurfer in my early teens. Always said to myself I would take it up again someday. My gear had being lying in my parents attic for the last 8 years. Surprisingly after giving it good inspection i'm going to brave malahide in the morning. Hifly 275cm 102L, Gun Mega Race 5.8 and Tushingham 4.8. Please god I don't do any damage to myself.

zidewayz wrote: »
    hello all. I used to be a frequent windsurfer in my early teens. Always said to myself I would take it up again someday. My gear had being lying in my parents attic for the last 8 years. Surprisingly after giving it good inspection i'm going to brave malahide in the morning. Hifly 275cm 102L, Gun Mega Race 5.8 and Tushingham 4.8. Please god I don't do any damage to myself.

Best of luck! I'd love to head out over the weekend but I don't trust myself in offshore winds :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭c-note

i've windsurfed once before
    but i'm off to egypt for 2 weeks of it in july
    so by august, i may well be windsurf mad!!
    its a great game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Hey guys, I did it loads back in my teens, but haven't really done it too much over the last few years. I made a decision to try to get back into it this summer though, but it's quite annoying, as it's been so long I'm basically a beginner again. Anyone out today? I went out at Malahide estuary, all i can say is Jesus Christ! Don't think I ever ventured out in that kind of wind before. Lasted about 20 mins of getting catapulted on a 4.7 before deciding i was in no way able for it! Have to try again tomorrow

Edit: Looking back over the threads, my story is pretty much exactly the same as zidewayz's, different gear, and it was in my granny's house, but apart from that, we could be long lost twins

Hey guys, I did it loads back in my teens, but haven't really done it too much over the last few years. I made a decision to try to get back into it this summer though, but it's quite annoying, as it's been so long I'm basically a beginner again. Anyone out today? I went out at Malahide estuary, all i can say is Jesus Christ! Don't think I ever ventured out in that kind of wind before. Lasted about 20 mins of getting catapulted on a 4.7 before deciding i was in no way able for it! Have to try again tomorrow

Edit: Looking back over the threads, my story is pretty much exactly the same as zidewayz's, different gear, and it was in my granny's house, but apart from that, we could be long lost twins

Sounds very familiar alright. Was out in malahide yest morning. Plenty of people out on the water. Come lunch time the wind was howling and I was struggling to get up on the baord at all. Kept on sinking so tried waterstarting. Got going at one stage and was totally overpowered on a 4.8. Was class though pelting along sitting back in the harness after so many years away from it. Muscles are bits. Its going to take some time to get anywhere near how good I used to be.

Sounds very familiar alright. Was out in malahide yest morning. Plenty of people out on the water. Come lunch time the wind was howling and I was struggling to get up on the baord at all. Kept on sinking so tried waterstarting. Got going at one stage and was totally overpowered on a 4.8. Was class though pelting along sitting back in the harness after so many years away from it. Muscles are bits. Its going to take some time to get anywhere near how good I used to be.

Sounds like a nice day to sail in Malahide. Easterlies are uncommon in Galway and don't work so well (gusty and offshore). I thought about heading into the bay yesterday afternoon to see off the Volvo Ocean Race but decided against it and walked down to watch it instead. I wish I had headed out after, there were white peaks on the water and about half a dozen windsurfers along with hundreds of other boats of all descriptions :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

I know what you mean, I was out at about 2 or 3pm, there was only one other person out at the time. On a 4.7, completely maxxed out, couldn't hang on to save my life! Was great fun though, when i did get up it was instantly planing and into the harness, even the odd footstrap. You go out today? It was a lot more pleasant, but I have to try to remember to do all the stuff properly again, sort of reminded me of how crap I've become :( Ah well, hopefully it'll be a windy summer!

This evening should be suitable for getting back in the swing of things. Malahide or Seapoint on East Coast. Tide is outat about 7pm so Seapoint will be shallow for several hundred meters out.

http://www.dlharbour.ie/weather/index.php?catid=Weather

Handy weather station at Rush.

http://www.flexifoil.ie/weather/index.html

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/marine/weather?03&LANG=en&WIND=g049
    http://www.windguru.cz/int/index.php?sc=4862

Where the best place to find secondhand gear? Was out in malahide on sat using a 7.2m and a Bic 293 125L. Will be looking for a 120L boards and large sail. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭rower2K8

Where the best place to find secondhand gear? Was out in malahide on sat using a 7.2m and a Bic 293 125L. Will be looking for a 120L boards and large sail. Any ideas?
    Surfdock and wind and wave usally have second hand gear

There are always plently of people selling gear here:

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭RobBaxter

WINDSURFING THREAD!!! fairly dead though. Anyone go out in Dublin at all? Just moved here

• Advertisement

The Irish windsurfing community are here:
    This forum is pretty active, but due to lack on any wind lately it has been pretty quiet of late.
    Lots of people sail in Dublin. see http://www.irwind.com/ for main spots.
    Saturday may be a runner in Seapoint if the forecast keeps the way it is. Seapoint could have 15 to 20 out on a good day, same in Dollymount, could be even more on a good day. Poolbeg is great when the wind and tide a right. Needs high tide or you walk a long way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Edmc

Class, great to see other windsurfers on here!

I got out in Dublin regularly - Seapoint, Poolbeg or Dollymount depending on the wind direction. Sailing a 145l F2 Hornet at the moment, usually with a 5.9m sail. Now that the evenings are getting longer it's possible to go out straight after work, had a nice sail off Dollymount last night (disclaimer: stupidly went out on my own in half-light, not recommended safety-wise!).

Keep an eye on Surfdock and their events. I was at their Wave Shock event on Sunday and it was a massive success. Dozens of windsurfers turned up and though the wind was light, the banter and craic on the water was epic. There were a bunch of pros giving advice too. When the wind vanished completely, we took the rigs off our boards and surfed them on the waves! (Yep, surfable waves in Dublin, now when I go there I bring my surfboard as a backup in case the wind is too light). A couple of SUPs knocking about too.

Anyway, windsurfing is a fantastic sport. Insane speed, endurance, stunts and generally total freedom on the water. The boards look cool too ;) and everyone's sound. Dublin bay, in fact the entire Irish coast becomes your playground. Epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 robw017

I have an old 284 flow 115l and a 6.7m supersonic cambered sail. i havnt been out on it in about 8 years, but did some sailing while on holidays over the last few years. want to get back into it. where is a good spot to go on for freesytle, and to leave teh car? coming from the tallaght region.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Fanatic Al

PjC wrote: »

Hey dude I got me a viper kit there not so long ago and its the best starting out kit for most conditions. I have surfed for years and still do a bit,But just got really pissed waiting around for a good day. I picked up windsurfing through Youtube and it has changed me something unreal. I head to kilaloe most days but on the west coast of co.clare the weekends. Its has some great beachs for all sorts of windsurfing as im only finding out now. Fanatic Viper great rig..Happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 3 diggerroad

I

Hi there,

I am after any unwanted or damaged windsurfing sails ,I will pay cash for the right sails
    cheers guys.

Does anyone know how many windsurfers there are in ireland ??

• Registered Users Posts: 6 alexsmile

JP Freestyle 100l with fin. 400e

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

Anyone one know are there any active windsurf goups in South Dublin. I go to Seapoint a bit but it's a bit lonely there's not really anyone about!
    It would be great to get a few people out.
    I know an old thread but thought I'd put it out there.

Advertisement