Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dealing with debt collectors?

Options
  • 02-06-2009 11:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hey i'm wondering what should i do about a crowd called centurion collections who are threatening legal proceedings against me for an outstanding bill with O2. The is bill 200euros and it came about because the direct debit that i set up with O2 was changed by someone in O2. So they altered my credit details on their system without my permission and by doing that they locked themselves out from my credit card. I tried to solve the problem at the time but was told everything was ok, now that they can't get any money they passed it on to the debt collectors. I asked for it to be explained to me how my details got changed and i got nothing. What am i entitled to do here, or can i do anything?

I'm very mad that they made the mistake and then never explained to me how they messed up, all they keep saying is the details were changed when i rang up but i never did because my credit card details haven't changed.

Anyone with any idea on what to do, please let me know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Issue a Freedom Of Information request to them via registered post, they can ignore it but then the Commissioner can fine them for non-compliance and make a order for discovery against them which is a public rap on the knuckles.

MC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 boylers

what's to stop them just saying the same thing again that it was changed when i rang up?! Plus has that worked for you before or how do u know about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

http://www.dataprotection.ie

Have a read, basically any organisation that holds information about you is subject to the control of the DPA, except certain specified areas eg Security / Terrorist checks etc

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Also set up a payment plan with the debt collector, say 50 a month or something similar for the original amount only.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Its easier to just pay it directly to O2, once the payment has been recieved the collectors will back off

• Advertisement
Advertisement