Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

incompetent at my job

Options
  • 02-06-2009 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I got a well paying job, don't hate me for it.
    It's hard though, hard to me anyway.
    Hundreds of emails a way, phone ringing and if you miss an hourly deadline, then management will send an email cc'ing all the team leaders, basically embarrassing you in front of everyone.

Get shouted at regularly. I don't mind this in private, I'm passive and just take it. But in front of teammates and friends, just want the ground to swallow me up.

Now I've read a thread in work forum where a poster thought he was being bullied but posters reckoned he was a poor worker and had performance issues.
    Not my post but it's basically me.

Today I worked from 08:15 to 17:30, no break, no tea break, no lunch, in fact I never went to toilets once!
    And still got told I wasn't getting work done.

I get average annual reviews.
    I'd do anything to succeed at this job, I do long hours with no breaks in my efforts to succeed. I'd kill myself (sorry, over dramatic statement) to do this job well.
    Man, every little mistake results in an email highlighting it with practically the department cc'ed.

Work management is my weakness, how do I improve?
    Ask my team leader for suggestions, to be proactive like. Meh, got dismissed and no answer.

I used to love this job, great teammates and good friends.
    Then many staff got made redundant and it's sink or swim for the rest of us.
    I even spend an hour unpaid in the evening checking and checking all my tasks as I'm terrified of making a mistake

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jobucks

Hi there,

I sympathise with you, It sounds like you're working for a right shower of cnuts.

Even if the issue is that you're not doing your job correctly, you are still entitled to feedback on why and what they need you to do to improve.

Personally I would go to my supervisor or manager and explain the situation to them, tell them you are driven and really want to do well in your work, but that you need some constructive criticism (in private) about what they expect from you and where you can make improvements.

The whole culture of cc'ing people on emails is just people covering their asses. However it could also be seen as written evidence that you have been asked to pull your socks up on a number of occasions, which means you could go straight to a formal warning if you do not.

I don't know, but it seems to me that the right thing to do is to speak to someone in there and explain the situation, also let them know that it's affecting you in a personal way aswell... because thats just not on, and as far as I would be concerned it's initimidating behaviour to you.

Let me know how you get on, I hope things work out for you, there's nothing worse than being unhappy in your work and knowing that there's not many other options out there.

My fingers will be crossed for ya.xx

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Jesus do you work in my office?
    I just so sympathise with you, you sound like me. I'm terrified of making mistakes and in a job environment very like yours. I know that CC-ing people is ass covering in a big way.But they should give you more feedback if they are that concerned about how you're doing your job.
    One thing maybe you could try is writing down every single thing that needs doing every day (in the evening) and work through the list the following day.Do not deviate from that list no matter what happens with the phone ringing. Unless something comes up that's vitally urgent, stick it on the list to get done. I do struggle with it a bit, trying to stick with the list, but it's helpful because at least you've got a bit of structure to things.
    I know it doesn't help much, but I really know how you feel. I'm stuck in a horribly similar situation and I'm really sorry for you. try the list thing it might help, and I'd ask about what exactly they're looking for from you if they're prepared to keep sending you emails.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 only18

im 18 and work in a restaurant/bar north of killarney. i work a 48- 56 hour week. 8hours a day. i get no break at all. being shouted at the whole time... made do the worst jobs... no leiniency with requesting days off... but problem is alot of forrign workers stay in the bosses staff house ...hence they wont complain due to fear of being kicked out...
    catch 22 eh.>?frown.gif
    suppose at the end of the day... u have to stick with it.... hard i know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I got a well paying job, don't hate me for it.
    It's hard though, hard to me anyway.
    Hundreds of emails a way, phone ringing and if you miss an hourly deadline, then management will send an email cc'ing all the team leaders, basically embarrassing you in front of everyone.

Get shouted at regularly. I don't mind this in private, I'm passive and just take it. But in front of teammates and friends, just want the ground to swallow me up.

Now I've read a thread in work forum where a poster thought he was being bullied but posters reckoned he was a poor worker and had performance issues.
    Not my post but it's basically me.

Today I worked from 08:15 to 17:30, no break, no tea break, no lunch, in fact I never went to toilets once!
    And still got told I wasn't getting work done.

I get average annual reviews.
    I'd do anything to succeed at this job, I do long hours with no breaks in my efforts to succeed. I'd kill myself (sorry, over dramatic statement) to do this job well.
    Man, every little mistake results in an email highlighting it with practically the department cc'ed.

Work management is my weakness, how do I improve?
    Ask my team leader for suggestions, to be proactive like. Meh, got dismissed and no answer.

I used to love this job, great teammates and good friends.
    Then many staff got made redundant and it's sink or swim for the rest of us.
    I even spend an hour unpaid in the evening checking and checking all my tasks as I'm terrified of making a mistake
    only18 wrote: »
    im 18 and work in a restaurant/bar north of killarney. i work a 48- 56 hour week. 8hours a day. i get no break at all. being shouted at the whole time... made do the worst jobs... no leiniency with requesting days off... but problem is alot of forrign workers stay in the bosses staff house ...hence they wont complain due to fear of being kicked out...
    catch 22 eh.>?frown.gif
    suppose at the end of the day... u have to stick with it.... hard i know.

First point, no job is not worth not having your health. Health first, family second and Job third. Now it's a different thing if your not pulling your weight but it's no life if you don't have your health. So quit the job if needs be (I wouldn't normally advise this course of action) but if you feel it's getting to much you have to take action for your own sake. However, In the meantime I would start taking a diary of events, record of meetings, emailing as much as possible thus keeping records of conversations in case if you have a grivance for unfair dismissal in the future.

@only 18 - There are laws against that carry on. Please use the web to read up on them and educate yourself because you can be sure your boss won't. Stand up for yourself! Your boss might attempt to fire you but if he / she does you can be sure that they will be in big trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I was both a victim and a perpetrator in the shouting at work behaviour.
    The important point I learned from it is that some people won't give a damn about it and get on with the job at hand, a relationship of sorts builds up where people ignore your shouting but in the long run it does nobody any good.
    One person got so upset with my shouting that I was called into the office and given a warning, off the record so the bloodhounds in HR wern't involved, to cease and desist from shouting and loud aggressive behaviour. I apologised to the person involved and did my utmost to keep to a normal level of voice from then on.......
    On another occasion a person used to shout orders down to me from a distance in a demeaning and intimidating fashion. I hated the work atmosphere when he was there. On the advice of another colleague who witnessed his agressive behaviour and my reaction to it strongly advised me to report it to management.
    In Ireland, nobody likes a snitch and our history and culture is full of hatred for informers etc. I did not take the step of informing managment lightly and took a week to decide to do it.
    The result was he went very quiet for a week and our relationship at least the working side of it, improved to some degree.Both of us kept to a very formal and polite way of working and tried hard to get along for the sake of our jobs, our workmates and our area. To a certain degree it worked but another incident with another aggressive type which wasnt resolved left me feeling very unsafe and unsure in that environment so in the end I had to leave it.

• Advertisement

@only 18 - There are laws against that carry on. Please use the web to read up on them and educate yourself because you can be sure your boss won't. Stand up for yourself! Your boss might attempt to fire you but if he / she does you can be sure that they will be in big trouble.[/QUOTE]

@only 18 - There are laws against that carry on. Please use the web to read up on them and educate yourself because you can be sure your boss won't. Stand up for yourself! Your boss might attempt to fire you but if he / she does you can be sure that they will be in big trouble.[/QUOTE]

... believe me i know every law by now... i know all the rules about taking breaks and working only a 48 hr week... rights ect...
    thing is its in a small town everyone knows each other... and taking action against them would be my last priority.
    also i suppose power in numbers. but no numbers when 80% of the staff is forrigin and too scared!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

@only 18 - There are laws against that carry on. Please use the web to read up on them and educate yourself because you can be sure your boss won't. Stand up for yourself! Your boss might attempt to fire you but if he / she does you can be sure that they will be in big trouble

... believe me i know every law by now... i know all the rules about taking breaks and working only a 48 hr week... rights ect...
    thing is its in a small town everyone knows each other... and taking action against them would be my last priority.
    also i suppose power in numbers. but no numbers when 80% of the staff is forrigin and too scared!

Why should you give a fcuk? If anything he should be concerned about his reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Are you getting a pay slip?

Is it right? Does it say 40hrs @ €x.xx = less tax.

If not that might be an easier way to go. The tax office are usually more interested in badly run business than NERA etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

OP: sounds like dial-up support of a certain company....?

• Advertisement
Advertisement