Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My first Marathon....

Options
  • 02-06-2009 11:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Since the start of May I have been training for the DCM '09. Each training day (every 2nd day) Im doing about 12k in all sorts of weather. Ive also done a few road races and charity runs to get into the spirtit of things.
    I always start each run dead slow and dont increase the speed all that much and I always finish each run feeling like I could do more. The legs are no longer sore and I have the cadence right as well as the breathing. I also love running in the rain

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Good luck on the training....i am doing Dublin also as are plenty on here...you will get loads of good advice along the way

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Best of luck Ger. Are you planning on following any particular training program, or are you just winging it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Ger the man

Thanks guys - at the moment Im just doing my own thing. Im running about 12k in the px park every second day which takes me about 40 mins. I always notice people racing by me at charity races / fun runs and after the first mile or so they are worn out - the tendancy is to race off from the starting line. Im tempted to start increasing it as I feel I can handle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

40 mins - holy moly thats serious

Thanks guys - at the moment Im just doing my own thing. Im running about 12k in the px park every second day which takes me about 40 mins. I always notice people racing by me at charity races / fun runs and after the first mile or so they are worn out - the tendancy is to race off from the starting line. Im tempted to start increasing it as I feel I can handle it.
    +1 that's very fast. Are you from a very fast racing pedigree, or have you got your timings wrong? Not too many people would be passing you in a charity race/fun run at that pace!

• Advertisement

40 mins - holy moly thats serious

Hi there,
    Your the 2nd person that gave me a reaction like that - I had no idea that was a quick time for 12k?

+1 that's very fast. Are you from a very fast racing pedigree, or have you got your timings wrong? Not too many people would be passing you in a charity race/fun run at that pace!

I park at the papal cross and check the clock on the car before heading off, then check it again when I finish. Im very lean and always had an athletic build plus I have done a bit of cycling in the past but thats it. I alwys use the rule of thumb - I sing tunes to myself and If I cant do this I know im going too fast.

To put it into perspective, at that pace, you would expect to finish a 10k in around 34 minutes, which would mean that you would finish in the top couple of places in any fun/charity run, and on the podium for smaller races (and you wouldn't be able to sing tunes to yourself!). Do you have any recent race times?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Hi there,
    Your the 2nd person that gave me a reaction like that - I had no idea that was a quick time for 12k?

yep that's quick especially for someone who gets passed by lots of people in charity fun runs. I don't know your form or ability but you may be overestimating the distance you are running. Maybe check out map my run or the like to try and get a handle on the distance you are actually covering. Great stuff if you are correct with your distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

Hi there,

dat is serious.:)
    good luck with training for dob 09 should be a good event this year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/

the above is a good link to a site that can help you measure distances

I found it priceless when i was training for my first marathon

Went out for an hour today and really enjoyed it. No stitches or any pains at all, I felt like I could have done more!

Advertisement