Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy XIV

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Seems like it is not a certain PS3 exclusive after all:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/e3-final-fantasy-xiv-online-article?page=1

Not suprising considering the language that was used in the Sony conference i.e. PS3 will be the only console you can play FFXIV in 2010.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭MKIII

yup PS3 & PC release can't wait starting to save up cash now by not playing FFXI of all things :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Gonna be a mmorpg then ?

Yes looks like it.If it is one would yee lot be interisted in gettingg it and teaming up on the same server.I'm on FFXI at the moment 0 Irish people mostly Asian and Americans.Long way off I know but just a rough idea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

MKIII wrote: »
    Yes looks like it.If it is one would yee lot be interisted in gettingg it and teaming up on the same server.I'm on FFXI at the moment 0 Irish people mostly Asian and Americans.Long way off I know but just a rough idea
    I was playing FFXI quite a bit until a couple of months ago, I've moved on to playing Guild Wars though as there's no subscription, although I might come back to FFXI to finish the last two expansions. I'm tempted to start from the start again though.

Anyway I'm sure we could find a few Boardsies to team up with in FFXIV. I'm sure FFXIV will have better solo play like what was introduced into FFXI so maybe more people will play it. I just don't know if I should get it for PC or PS3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

GothPunk wrote: »
    I'm sure FFXIV will have better solo play like what was introduced into FFXI so maybe more people will play it.

I'm curious, how did they improve solo play in XI? I only ever played the Beta version on 360, since it was free!

they introduced field manuals which tell you to kill certin amounts of certain monsters for which you get EXP& GIL.You also get field assistance which allows you to use refresh regen reraise and some foodfor field points r some such.
    I ran around Qufim from 38-43 as a RDM/WHM
    Buffs: RR Refresh Regen
    Targets:
    4 Gigas 40/50 exp/gil
    5 Aphogious 50/60 EXP (+blood drops 200)
    1Greater Pugil 30/40EXP
    Rewards:710 gil 710 EXP +Points

Each circut = ~1300EXP /1500 Gil
    Depending on parties in the area = 8K-10K per hour

they introduced field manuals which tell you to kill certin amounts of certain monsters for which you get EXP& GIL.You also get field assistance which allows you to use refresh regen reraise and some foodfor field points r some such.
    I ran around Qufim from 38-43 as a RDM/WHM
    Buffs: RR Refresh Regen
    Targets:
    4 Gigas 40/50 exp/gil
    5 Aphogious 50/60 EXP (+blood drops 200)
    1Greater Pugil 30/40EXP
    Rewards:710 gil 710 EXP +Points

Each circut = ~1300EXP /1500 Gil
    Depending on parties in the area = 8K-10K per hour
    That was a much better explanation than I could have given, lol. I think the field assistance is a big deal, I mean the risk of you dying and loosing EXP is so much lower now. I know that pissed a lot of people off about FFXI.

Apparently FFXIV might be going into Beta later this year, which would mean that FFXIV is going to have a much longer Beta period than the four months FFXI. A longer Beta can only be good for any online game so I hope that rumour is true.

>< I would love to get in on beta testingany ideas as of how yet?

Ah it's all rumours based upon speculation so no-one knows if there even is one scheduled for this year. It does appear quite likely though.

• Advertisement

damm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I don't know if I could ever play a FF mmo after wow. It was a grindfest (played before xbox 360 release). Interface was poop as well.

Wow did it so much better but that got boring and has a lot of tards. I don't think I can't play mmos after wow. I'm still trying to stay away from it. Though one thing about FFXI is that I never felt I ran out of things to do.

A lot more information is available on this now from Famitsu Wave, and I really like what I'm hearing. It sounds like Final Fantasy mixed with Monster Hunter, which to me sounds incredible. Uematsu is also doing the entire score, nice. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It really does sound like they are selling out on the western MMORPG model and going all monster hunter to capture the asian market.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,298 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

the idea of FFMMO saddens me.

Final Fantasy was and always will be a single player lone-fest youre meant to play by yourself because you have no friends and would much rather pretend you have blonde hair and a giant sword. Oh, and a girlfriend with huge boobs.

putting MMO into the equation, i imagine, takes away greatly from the level of immersion.

Overheal wrote: »
    the idea of FFMMO saddens me.

putting MMO into the equation, i imagine, takes away greatly from the level of immersion.
    You're a bit LTTP there Overheal, FFXI was an MMO as well. Unless you just mean another FF going MMO?

I think if you had actually played FFXI you wouldn't be so sad and lament immersion, I think that FFXI had an amazing story and I know plenty of folks on other forums, like NeoGAF, that would say the same. In fact it can be even more immersive as there is a greater level of complexity to the world.

Besides, FFXIII will be released here next year hopefully (and in the US even sooner) so it's not like S-E has abandoned fans of single player RPGs. I think that FFversus XIII and FFagito XIII look very interesting also.

I guess it will be another case where a lot of FF fans say that an FF MMO isn't a 'real' FF game. :rolleyes:

good to see the forumis still alive.Well as long as they address the soloing issue that was there for the first 4 or 5 years of FFXI.I will be happy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

To me the online games aren't part of the main series so I feel I'm missing nothing out by not playing them.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    To me the online games aren't part of the main series so I feel I'm missing nothing out by not playing them.
    To me that's like a Nintendo fan saying that to them FFVII and beyond are not part of the main series as they're not on a Nintendo system.

I would say don't knock it until you've tried it, at least give it a chance.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'd kind of agree with Retr0 there, and say that the online games are seperate to the offline ones. It's not necessarily a criticism, but being that they are different genre's, they will cater for different fans. For me, Final Fantasy games have always been about the story/characters etc... which are never as good in an online game.

• Advertisement

Yea I agree FF series has nothing short of EPIC storylines.FFXI is no exception the only exception is this .In 11 you need a party of 6-18 people to do the main storylines.On my server the majority of players are yanks who can seldom commit to anything.4 years only on CoP 4-2 almomst finished with RoZ not bothering with new expansions.I want to see this thing gone in 14.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Can't see myself giving a crap about 14 either.

If it plays on my XPSM1730 well and good if not I'll stick with 11 till I clear CoP

Can't see myself playing it after quiting wow. I did play FFXI when it was first released in US. Found it very hard to get into and was very overwhelming. Tried it again when it was released on xbox 360 and enjoyed it for awhile. One thing I did notice about FFXI was that there was a lot depth and stuff to do compared to wow. In wow, once you hit level cap it felt raid or die.

yea i hit lvl cap in wow in under a month really easy when you get EXP for killing mobs + completing the quest + going to give a 3rd NPC an item.Hardest part was getting gear

still everytime i see WoW on the tele I want to play it but same old story nobody to play with .And when I make a guild in any MMO all I get are dicks who want to do there own thing which drives me mad and the majority of members away to more stable guilds

still everytime i see WoW on the tele I want to play it but same old story nobody to play with .And when I make a guild in any MMO all I get are dicks who want to do there own thing which drives me mad and the majority of members away to more stable guilds

Don't play wow!!! trust me!!

Its great but people are d1ckheads. It can feel like a second job trying to get stuff done.

true but it's so cheap and easy lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

WoW is too easy with plenty of rewards for doing very little. It's great for casual gamers but you never really feel like you're part of a major epic story. There's very little skill involved, you just do identi-kit quests, level, raid, get loot etc.

FF11 is not an easy game to get into but it's really rewarding when everything or everyone in a party clicks and works together. I actually think the party concept works a lot better in FF11 than other FF games because the roles of each party member is completely interchangeable in most FF. In fact you don't really need roles in the single player FF. There is just so much more depth to the combat system compared to WoW. The story and missions works a lot better than what's in WoW to make you feel like part of the world.

FF11 looses points for being hard and it has more technical issues but I think it's a better MMO. I'm looking forward to FF14 anyway but I am not sure if I can commit as much time to it in my advancing years.

• Advertisement

CodeMonkey wrote: »
    WoW is too easy with plenty of rewards for doing very little. It's great for casual gamers but you never really feel like you're part of a major epic story. There's very little skill involved, you just do identi-kit quests, level, raid, get loot etc.

FF11 is not an easy game to get into but it's really rewarding when everything or everyone in a party clicks and works together. I actually think the party concept works a lot better in FF11 than other FF games because the roles of each party member is completely interchangeable in most FF. In fact you don't really need roles in the single player FF. There is just so much more depth to the combat system compared to WoW. The story and missions works a lot better than what's in WoW to make you feel like part of the world.

FF11 looses points for being hard and it has more technical issues but I think it's a better MMO. I'm looking forward to FF14 anyway but I am not sure if I can commit as much time to it in my advancing years.

One thing I'll say about FFXI compared to wow, was that the players were generally more mature and knew how to generally play. While WoW can be very easy (or hard if you did sunwell), it can be extremely frustrating due a lot of its player base could level to cap with not much effort.

I don't think a game should involve work but I do think it should involve effort. What made me quit wow was that I felt most of the people i played with were being carried through the game by me and i didn't like them. If they were friends I wouldn't mind.

Also the profession in wow were broken. People power leveling professions just for one particular item or stat bonus. What made it worse was bliz constant class/profession rebalancing. A mage (wears cloth) power leveling blacksmith when pretty much everything it makes is useless bar the BoP gem slots because a spreadsheet said bs/jc was the best combo in professions for stats.

I don't remember it that bad in FFXI. I do remember the job/sub-job compliants to people that had weird combos.

I swore i'd never go back to a mmo after wow but i might play FFXIV if only so i can have a taru black knight, ninja or red mage (best hat ever!!!).

Advertisement