Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transfering to NUIM

• 02-06-2009 11:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi, quick question. I was doing electronic engineering in DCU and started in 2002. I passed my first 2 years but really had very little interest in the course as i wasn't sure what i wanted to do with my life. To be honest, my parents pushed me to go into the course. I had to repeat some exams over both years but ultimately passed well even though i wasn't applying myself all that much.

In third year things got worse and i failed some exams towards the end of the year. i also didn't do my intra placement and dropped out of the course. That was in 2005. After having some years out and maturing a lot I realize that I actually have a big interest in the course and would really really like to go back and complete it. However I would like to transfer to NUI Maynooth and complete the course there. I really don't want to do it in DCU and NUIM would be really preferable. I did pass first and second year of the course in DCU so would there be any chance that I would be admitted to NUI Maynooth this year and begin third year?? I plan on applying within the week, just have to go up to DCU to get my result transcripts printed out for all three years and then try to meet with the head of the department if possible. Is that a good idea?

How realistic would it be that i could continue from year 3 in NUIM and has anybody got any similar experiences or heard similar stories? Also where do I stand fees wise? I failed 3 exams in total in third year and passed all my labortory practicals. I understand I'll obviously have to repeat third year but just hope that I don't have to repeat second year or even worse, start all over again.

As I said before, I really really don't want to go back to DCU to do it because I have very bad memories there and want a fresh start in NUIM.

So what are my chances in your opinions??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

01 7083822 (Admissions)

http://admissions.nuim.ie/transfer/index.shtml

Had to do it myself a few years ago, give them a call and explain your situation, they will be able to transfer you to the correct extension

Generally second year is the starting point for transfer students, and you will most likely be liable for full fees (things may have changed, check it out with them, call fees and grants)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭pakblue

You might get away with not doing some modules but I highly doubt that you will go straight into 3rd year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭niall3r

pakblue wrote: »
    You might get away with not doing some modules but I highly doubt that you will go straight into 3rd year.

ditto.

best of luck tho

Advertisement