Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL/UPC in Glasnevin

Options
  • 02-06-2009 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭

Since last Thursday I've had no broadband service from UPC/NTL between early morning until about 9pm each night. The service mysteriously reappears around that time every night. I rung UPC?NTL and they are sending out a technician later this week. The company say it must be a problem with my modem. Is it possible for someone to hack into my broadband service? Also the tv service has really deteriorated lately. Up until recently both services have been excellent.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

I'm in Balbriggan and have been having exactly the same issue with UPC Broadband / Telephone (I don't have TV from UPC). The connection goes down in the morning / early afternoon and doesn't come back until about 9pm. This happened Sat-Tues this week.

The tech support agent claimed that an outage in the area must have "knocked out" my cable modem and they would need to send out a technician. (I don't believe that an outage on their network could change the settings on my modem - it's not like a power surge that could wipe the RAM, surely)

Can you let us know what the Technician says / does in your place, and I'll see if I really need to get one out. Also, I talked to customer services about getting a credit for the time when the service is down. I'll be damned if I'm paying for time when it is not available because of their fault. I'll let you know how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Technician called today. I wasn't there but my better half was. The broadband was off at the time. He just rebooted the modem. It happened to come back on. He said the problem was an intermittant one, I could have told him that and that they were working on the problem. Only time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭etcetc

probably related

upc have a planning application in for new base station on ballygall road east glasnevin

in preparation for this upgrade they have been shrouding electric cables etc in the area all very health and safety like with seperate esb crew/upc crew and if necesassary sky installers to move dishes

id imagine they may also be switching their kit on and off when necessary

Broadband has been off for most of the weekend. Just came back on about an hour ago. Really pissed off at this stage. Technician coming tomorrow again. At this point I'm prepared to start looking at an alternative supplier, anyone got any suggestions.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

Broadband has been off for most of the weekend. Just came back on about an hour ago. Really pissed off at this stage. Technician coming tomorrow again. At this point I'm prepared to start looking at an alternative supplier, anyone got any suggestions.

Magnet are available in most areas in Glasnevin.

• Advertisement

Update: Technician came last Monday. Said very weak signal coming into my house. It was an outside problem, he would have to pass it on to relevent team, which would take a couple of days. After 2 days still no internet. So on Thursday I rang NTL again. They told me the teckie was wrong it usually takes 5 to 7 days for the relevant team to address problems. So here I am and still no internet. Going on a month now. The strange thing is it usually comes back on late in the evening and goes off first thing in the morning again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 SSD25

drummerboy

chances are you are being affected by upgrade work in the area, keep an eye out for crews driving around same thing happened me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

The way their network is set up is that every house is inter connected, if your link is poor your reciving less signal than anyone else, in the night time and "off peak" times there is less drain on the signal in your area hence your services coming back.

Its def the main line coming into the house seeing as your tv is effected also. An interesting trick to try is to remove the coax from the outlet on the wall going to the splitter and connect that to the modem, basically this is taking the weakend signal and spliting it two ways so connecting the line before that happens means you MAY get a solid broadband connection without the drain of dtv.

Of coarse thats only a stop gap measure meaing only one service at a time but if needs be?

hightower1 wrote: »
    The way their network is set up is that every house is inter connected, if your link is poor your reciving less signal than anyone else, in the night time and "off peak" times there is less drain on the signal in your area hence your services coming back.

Its def the main line coming into the house seeing as your tv is effected also. An interesting trick to try is to remove the coax from the outlet on the wall going to the splitter and connect that to the modem, basically this is taking the weakend signal and spliting it two ways so connecting the line before that happens means you MAY get a solid broadband connection without the drain of dtv.

Of coarse thats only a stop gap measure meaing only one service at a time but if needs be?

Thanks for that Hightower. Had another techie out who basically told me that during the regarding work my road was bypassed and as the problem was in the local manhole it could be many months before it is corrected. I'm fuming at this. Was on to UPC and am waiting for an official explanation.

I'm also going to have a look at alternative suppliers. Someone has suggested Magnet. Anybody got an idea on their track record. Or any other suppliers. Many thanks

Eureka. Another Engineer arrived unannounced this morning. He had a look at it and said he'd be back in a couple of hours. When he arrived back everything starting working again. He basically said that during he regrade work somebody cut a cable. Find this hard to believe as the service had been intermitent. Anybody its now working so we will see.

Strange the the guy yesterday basically said it wont be fixed for quite some time if at all.

• Advertisement

Gone again this morning. Engineer on his way.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭dublinbusdude

What does UPC use for the phone and broadband service? Is it the f cable or telephone line if anyone knows. Thanks

Advertisement