Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cigarette Lighter

• 02-06-2009 11:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

I own a Seat Ibiza and it has no cigarette lighter, thats fine cause I don't smoke but what I didn't realize is how much I would use the cigarette lighter.

I only bought a Sat Nav with a charger for the car but now I can't charge it, to get a mains charger it will be another E25, plus it would be handier in the car.

Theres loads of other thing I can't do without it now.

Theres a space for where it could be but what I want to know is what it would be to install one, whats involved, how much are they, could I pull one out of a car in a breakers yard and do it???

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

they're very easy to install, you need 3 wires:

Ignition +
    Light +
    Earth -

These can be taken from the radio, but chances are your car has the wiring already in place.

universal cig lighters can be had on ebay for around a tenner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭YourName

Thanks for the reply there.

Ok so I think I will pick one up on the net and get someone to wire it up for me, I don't understand that sort of stuff, ut I will watch and learn.

Do you think I could pick one up from a scrap yard???

If I was going to buy ine off the net, its the 12v one I want yeh???

Yup, 12v. One from another Ibiza would be a direct swap (plug in) though and easier.

You sure your car doesn't have one? it has an ashtray? what year is it?

yeh I've searched everywhere, it does have an ashtray, and right beside it is a place where you would think it would be, but there is just a piece of plastic there, in the manual for the car it has a picture showing the whole dashboard, and that's where it is. Its a 1999, so when i do get it i will have to drill a whole in the plastic to install it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Does that plastic piece not pop out? Sounds odd that its just completely covered over! I had a 98 bog standard Ibiza a few years ago and it had a lighter!

• Advertisement

Yeh it does pop out, so I don't know what the story is ya know. I got in contact with sumerhill spares, and they said that they don't have one for that model of car but they said one from another car will fit.

Do I have to wire it to the fuse box or the battery in the car or anything???

car probably has the wiring in place anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

mcgowaner wrote: »
    Yeh it does pop out, so I don't know what the story is ya know. I got in contact with sumerhill spares, and they said that they don't have one for that model of car but they said one from another car will fit.

Do I have to wire it to the fuse box or the battery in the car or anything???
    Pop the plastic out and take a look!!! There's loads of scrappies around, look in the golden pages

VW Polio one should fit.

I'm gonna pop it out tomorrow and take another look for wiring and that.

• Advertisement

I picked up a lighter today, and I took another look in beside the ashtray and there doesn't seem to be any wires. The man behind the counter where I bought it was very surprised when I told him that the car never had one. He came out and looked and he said the only reason why he thinks this could have happened is when the car was bought new the person requested that it didn't have a cigarette lighter because the person had kids or something.

Anyway there's only a little wire on the actual lighter that I bought and sadly because I know absolutely nothing about electrics, I can see this been a tricky one, I do know someone however who is an electrician so lets hope he can do it for me.

Advertisement