Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delcan Ganley: "'I actually support the idea of military integration in Europe"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

So Deco Ganley is in favour of a more Military EU, heck so is Fine Gael, and even advocate Ireland joining NATO - Gay even claims under the NICE Treaty we dont need a referendum on that issue??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

petronius wrote: »
    So Deco Ganley is in favour of a more Military EU, heck so is Fine Gael, and even advocate Ireland joining NATO - Gay even claims under the NICE Treaty we dont need a referendum on that issue??

What has Nice got to do with NATO!?

What do you think of the flip flop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭markopantelic

Libertas are dumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

I somehow doubt Gay Mitchell would mix up two international institutions so egregiously. No EU treaty has any relevance to NATO.

On the other hand, it's true we wouldn't need a referendum to join NATO. Neutrality is only government policy, it's not in our Constitution, contrary to common wisdom.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

heck so is Fine Gael, and even advocate Ireland joining NATO

good thing i'm not voting fine gael either.

The issue is the flip flop more then the policy. I do not mind if a party comes out and says they want a more militant Ireland within europe :D, they will know my opinion on that policy when they find that I wont vote for them. But to jump back and forth on policy to suit the political wind well that is a reason why I wouldnt vote for Fianna Fail either and this is a core fault with the libertas party system (I say that with a grain of salt) they have no manifesto, their party structure has no democratic control over their policies or agendas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Kickaha

Hey maybe he likes Bananna ice cream too.Everyones entitled to their opinion,(well as long as its the right one).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭markopantelic

military europe is a good idea, i'd join ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Kickaha wrote: »
    Hey maybe he likes Bananna ice cream too.Everyones entitled to their opinion,(well as long as its the right one).

That opinion might be relevant if he had run a national poster campaign attacking somebody for liking Banana ice cream as a character flaw.

Although I begin to suspect you of being a troll, so I won't even delve into the inappropriateness of your analogy in terms of the implications of the 'opinion' in each case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Kickaha

Hey Trolls have a right to vote too..as long as its the right vote.

Kickaha wrote: »
    Hey Trolls have a right to vote too..as long as its the right vote.

On the other hand, they don't have the right to troll. Banned for 2 weeks.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

I move that the thread titled be changed to put the surname after the quote!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Steviemak

Can you please clarify what has the EU got to do with NATO???

More lies from Libertas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

Steviemak wrote: »
    Can you please clarify what has the EU got to do with NATO???

More lies from Libertas
    It doesn't, but both institutions do draw forces from the same European armies.

But under the Treaty of Strasbourg, the EU have a standing army as the European Parliament’s subsequent resolution as of 5th June, 2008.
    As of 26th February 2009, The EU placed Eurocorps as a standing force under EU command and inviting all Member States to contribute to it.

Read from the Eurocorps website
    The Treaty of Strasbourg confirms Eurocorps as a Pioneer in European Defence

First exercise under EU command

Looks like we do not need Lisbon Treaty to create a European Army, it was create under while the NICE treaty exists. I remember during both NICE Treaty Referendums, that the Pro people said they will not be an EU Army under NICE. Look like they lied too, just like Libertas,
    Libertas is just like All of the politicians, they will say anything to get their way.

limklad wrote: »
    It doesn't, but both institutions do draw forces from the same European armies.

But under the Treaty of Strasbourg, the EU have a standing army as the European Parliament’s subsequent resolution as of 5th June, 2008.
    As of 26th February 2009, The EU placed Eurocorps as a standing force under EU command and inviting all Member States to contribute to it.

Read from the Eurocorps website

First exercise under EU command

Looks like we do not need Lisbon Treaty to create a European Army, it was create under while the NICE treaty exists. I remember during both NICE Treaty Referendums, that the Pro people said they will not be an EU Army under NICE. Look like they lied too, just like Libertas,
    Libertas is just like All of the politicians, they will say anything to get their way.

Hm - you should read the stuff you're linking to, though. Eurocorps was set up in 1963, and is subject to a separate treaty. It is not in fact under EU command.

correctively,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Hm - you should read the stuff you're linking to, though. Eurocorps was set up in 1963, and is subject to a separate treaty. It is not in fact under EU command.

correctively,
    Scofflaw
    Yes they were setup in 1963 Germany and France, and serveral other Eu member joined over the years, and recently that Army as I said they were made standing army for the EU last year through the EU Parliament and through members who signed that Treaty. Under Nice Treaty Rules, Other members can make unions under the EU. It is under the European Security and Defence Policy pillar.

You can read it from their Website.

http://europeanjournal.typepad.com/my_weblog/2009/02/the-european-parliament-is-calling-for-eu-army.html
    eurocorps wrote:

Strasbourg, 25th February, 2009. – The Treaty of Strasbourg, which becomes effective tomorrow, 26th February 2009, is a milestone of great importance in the history of Eurocorps, as well as the European Defence, by acknowledging Eurocorps as the sole european military organisation excusive subject to an international treaty.
    Once again, Eurocorps breaks new ground in the establishment of a permanent military constitution for European Defence, setting a precedent for any future organisational and cooperative initiatives in the field.
    By ratifying the text, signed in Brussels on 22nd November 2004 by the respective ministers of defence, the parliaments of Germany, France, Belgium, Spain and Luxembourg confer Eurocorps with legal status and its own legal framework, underpinning their firm support for a European defence programme organised around headquarters and fully multinational units.
    The Treaty’s coming into effect tomorrow has been preceded, over the last two years of Spain’s leadership of Eurocorps, by a series of highly significant events. Most noteworthy are the process for the inclusion of Poland as the sixth framework (full member) nation, the applications for incorporation from the United States, Italy and Romania, as well as representations to the European Parliament by its Commanding General, Lieutenant General Pedro Pitarch, and the European Parliament’s subsequent resolution of 5th June, 2008 proposing to “place Eurocorps as a standing force under EU command and inviting all Member States to contribute to it”. These events are of paramount political importance and an essential endorsement to its legitimacy.
    Eurocorps’ wholly European character and objectives are made explicit in article 47 of the Treaty of Strasbourg which states that framework nations of Eurocorps may “unanimously invite any other EU member state to subscribe to the present treaty”.
    The Treaty of Strasbourg confers operational autonomy on Eurocorps, by giving responsibility to its Commanding General for putting out to tender and procurement of materials and personnel, as well as environmental, workforce and many other operational issues.

Eurocorps wrote:
    Restructuring of the Eurocorps

Meanwhile, important decisions were taken about the European Security and Defence Policy. These decisions had several consequences concerning the Eurocorps' role and structure. On May 29th, 1999, during the French-German summit of Toulouse, France and Germany suggested to put the Eurocorps as an intervention force at the EU's disposal in case of crisis.
    This proposal was submitted to the other Member States that accepted it. It was then officially suggested to the EU at the Cologne summit, on June 3rd and 4th, 1999. During this summit Europe also decided to reinforce its intervention capabilities and to put reaction forces into place in case of crisis. The decision was confirmed and developed during the EU summit of Helsinki in December 1999.
    In November, in Luxembourg, the Eurocorps Member States defined the transformation modalities of this multinational unit into a rapid reaction corps at the disposal of the EU and NATO. The preparation of this transformation took a long time and started on June 5th, 2001. As early as April 2001, the member nations proposed the HQ as one of the "Deployable High Readiness Force Headquarters".
    In 2002, NATO evaluated the HQ's general capabilities and its operational capability in several steps. The exercise Common Effort was an important part of the process at the end of which the HQ obtained its certification as Rapid Reaction Force HQ.

Advertisement