Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

POLL :How Many KMH Were You 'Over The Limit' When Last 'Done' For Speeding?

• 03-06-2009 1:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭

Just curious ...A Garda statistic released last year suggested that you had to be going 'SERIOUSLY' over the limit (min 20kmh) to be at a significant risk of being 'caught' .I believe the Gatso 'machines' can be as low as 11kmh 'over' certainly I heard of someone who got a ticket for 71kmh in a 60 opposite the Spa hotel in Lucan on the N4 although that spot is long gone now .

How Many KMH Were You Over The Speed Limit When Last 'Caught'? 183 votes

0-10kmh
    0% 1 vote
    11-20kmh
    5% 10 votes
    21-30kmh
    15% 28 votes
    31kmh+++
    15% 28 votes
    Never 'Caught'
    21% 40 votes
    I Never Break the Posted Speed Limit
    41% 76 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭jape

72 in a 60, garda speed check.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Hartyk87

first time 138 in a hundred second 126 in a 100 and last was 72 in a 60 zone:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Never been caught speeding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

144 in a 100 zone well over a year ago now. the road was deserted and huge. (Moone-Timolin bypass for those who know it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

61 in a 50 at 2:20AM on a Thursday morning on the way into Cork just past Kevin O'Learys BMW garage.

Crucify me all you want, but fcuk me I felt hard done by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Only caught once, 3 years ago. 95mph in a 60mph on the Naas Dueller under Citywest bridge. He said my exhaust gave it away.

They can't hear the car I'm driving now.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭speedfreak

doin 67kmh in a 60 zone overtaking a car doing about 50 on a straight country road outside town. 60 zone cos of quarry a few miles down the road. Killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

When I was a not so stealthy speeder a few years back, I got done in the north for doing 73 mph in 40mph.

think thats 120km/h in a 65km/h so 55 km/h too fast!!

Not justifying it, but it was an open dual carriageway with no traffic in perfect sunny conditions! (didnt see them hiding in the shade of the bridge!) Ah well, a court apperance taught me to be a lot more stealthy about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 cogITere

59 in a 50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

Hartyk87 wrote: »
    first time 138 in a hundred second 126 in a 100 and last was 72 in a 60 zone:mad:

And you still havent learnt anything?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

got done for 36mph in a 30mph zone on clansbrassil street during the first year of penalty points, that was a good few years ago now!

havent been done again, so im penalty point free for the moment......as i run off and touch all the wood around me and prey that im not tempting faith :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

about 58km in a 50 zone. i had slowed down before his reading worked id of said i was doing about 65 ish. admitted to it straight away and enjoyed the points .

only a few months till there gone.

another time previous but long gone now was 75mph in a 60mph . i was sure it was a motorway but as it turns out it was only a duel carriageway.

very nice guards in both cases .

The only time I was caught so far was 65mph in a 40mph zone about 5 years ago. I was lucky though as I was speeding up at the time and hit about 90mph in a 30mph zone before turning off and being stopped up the road(it took them a bit to catch up as they had to come from a standing start, luckily they only got the reading of 65 in the 40 zone and they were sound too as they knew well I was going fast.

I was not long driving at the time either and penalty points were only in about 5 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I was last caught doing a little over 80 mph in a 60 mph, nearly 7 years ago so the speed limits were in mph. I had come through some fog about 20 miles further back in the journey and forgot to turn off my rear fog light. The Garda said they only managed to follow my car because the fog light was on. Other than that, I was pinged once by the camera at the Spa Hotel about 8 years ago and I should have known better. Both pre penalty points, so no points ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

138km/k in an 100km/h on the Mallow-Killarney road at 5.15am about a year ago. Not another car passed while I was pulled in - sickened.

Got 2 more last week for the phone - handsfree kit shagged. 4 isn't bad for someone who has done 80,000 miles in the last 2 years and I dont drive for a living or get mileage expenses.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Last time was 145Kmh in a 60kmh zone (M50).
    Time before that was 80kmh in an 80kmh zone (apparantly there were road works along the road so it was 60kmh :confused:) heading towards Galway.
    Time before that was nearly 3 years ago (woohoo) and was 62kmh in a 50kmh zone driving down past Heuston Station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Was clocked at 121 in a 100 zone.

I spotted the Garda and slowed down, alot, but not enough.

Learnt my lesson. When you see a guard drop several anchors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

First time I was doing 91kmh in a 60 zone, it was just after a speed limit change on the N81 and I refuse to jam on the brakes the second I see the sign.

Second time I was doing 82kmh in a 60 zone. The guard gave me a big lecture about being almost twice the limit. It was only after I'd driven off that I realised twice the limit would have been 120kmh. I nearly drove back to him to point that out. Kind of still sorry I didn't.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

antodeco wrote: »
    Last time was 145Kmh in a 60kmh zone (M50).

Out of Interest what did ya get for that?...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

Last time was in MPH it was 46 in a 30mph zone they had only just dropped the speed limit that was 10 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Both pre penalty points, so no points ever.

Same here. New fixed camera just after the M1 bit to Dundalk opened (88MPH in 70MPH completely empty motorway at midnight) and "fish-in-a-barrel" gatso on the North Road in Finglas (50MPH in 40MPH quiet dual carriageway)

These days I only drive over 200km/h if there is no other traffic / gatsos / fixed cameras around...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I got done for 128 km/h in a 100 km/h zone. It was near Gorey before the bypass was opened. Thankfully the two points have now lapsed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Ummmm.

3 times but I think the most over was 18mph.(Miles, it was so long ago).

I never once paid any speeding fine and was never chased for it. Driving a pooled company vehicle and I never once had my license on me.

:D:D:D:D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

72km in a 30km zone :< In my defence it was a wide open straight stretch of road I knew well and there was only a 30km zone because of a school. It was the middle of summer and I knew full well the school was off. But of course, I did the crime so I paid the fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

And you still havent learnt anything?

the first high horse has left the gate :D

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Out of Interest what did ya get for that?...

Id rather not answer that as it was less than 6 months ago, so the statute of limitations still apply! :D

/2 points :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭bop1977

caught twice doing 80mph in a 50 mph zone on the N4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

200 in a 120 zone, M50 a couple of years ago.

It was the "failure to stop" the really did it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

Caught three times 133 and 155 in a 100kph. Got off on the 133. Then 120 in a 60kph (waterford ring road nice dual carrigeway) and stll haven't got them but there is no way i got away with it. So i think I have 4 points. Must check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭DubTony

111 in a 100 zone, on the wrong side of Dunshaughlin. Fixed camera, a Sunday morning at 8:30.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'd better plead the 5th!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Gonzales

99mph in a 70mph on the motorway outside portlaoise/arlington.

1mph away from having licence revoked.

I was driving a full week at the time - looking for thrills - got 'em.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 whacker30

141kmph in a 100, at 01.30am on n7 after roscrea on route to limerick had just overtaken a truck and just kept me speed up , didnt even know the garda had speed checks out that late, (i know now). ha!! asked the gaurd how many points that would be and he said " i dont know it might be two, but it might night be any"..... mmmmmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

bigkev49 wrote: »
    61 in a 50 at 2:20AM on a Thursday morning on the way into Cork just past Kevin O'Learys BMW garage.

Crucify me all you want, but fcuk me I felt hard done by.
    Bet ya they didn't even breathalyse you.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Never been caught to date thankfully.

Come close a few times, doing about 140 just north of gorey, came over a rise and a garda was just picking up his gun after catching the last guy. Slowed before he had it aimed but from the filthy I got I knew he knew I was speeding but just couldn't do anything.

Coming down of the Cherrywood/N11 junction and garda standing under the busstop opposite Loughlinstown Hospital. Obviously had the gun aimed under the bridge to catch people on N11, came down the ramp at 70+ before noticing him and luckily got away with it as not quite in line with the gun before merging.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Im yet to be caught. I'm not quite sure how. I've had a few close calls with the Gatso van on the Naas road, the most recent being in a 330d (the licence taker as its affectionately known). Spotted the van, and threw out the anchors. The car was up on her nose i hit the brakes that hard.

I generally slip in behind a car and sit a few car lengths off it. If there is a Garda speed check up the road, he gets caught, and I get by. I usually keep an eye on the traffic ahead too - if its a Gatso van, everyone will slow down regardless of their speed, so if i see alot of brake lights, I slow up (thank god for the general Irish motorist) I try to be "cute" about it, but i know im only fooling myself - in the end i'll get caught, or end up in an accident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 whacker30

Im yet to be caught. I'm not quite sure how. I've had a few close calls with the Gatso van on the Naas road, the most recent being in a 330d (the licence taker as its affectionately known). Spotted the van, and threw out the anchors. The car was up on her nose i hit the brakes that hard.

I generally slip in behind a car and sit a few car lengths off it. If there is a Garda speed check up the road, he gets caught, and I get by. I usually keep an eye on the traffic ahead too - if its a Gatso van, everyone will slow down regardless of their speed, so if i see alot of brake lights, I slow up (thank god for the general Irish motorist) I try to be "cute" about it, but i know im only fooling myself - in the end i'll get caught, or end up in an accident.

have the same approach but it dont work at 1.30am long straight stretch of empty road.....opppps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

the first high horse has left the gate :D

I think I'll ask Ross to add 'High Horse' to the swear filter
    unkel wrote: »
    88MPH in 70MPH

Jesus lucky you weren't in a Delorean

I was done for doing 150 on the N21 coming out of Killarney. The Guard was laughing at me and telling me I could 'fairly drive', took them 4 miles to catch me. I was only accelerating when they got me with the gun :o

Lesson learned. The fine never reached me (goddamn fleet car) so I had to go to court. The Guard was sick that day though so it was struck out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Onkle wrote: »
    I had to go to court. The Guard was sick that day though so it was struck out

Only in Ireland :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

ninty9er wrote: »
    Bet ya they didn't even breathalyse you.:rolleyes:

They didn't. Wouldn't have got them far, drink driving is for fools.

Living beside an accident prone national route and losing loved ones in car crashes will pretty much cement the above sentiments in your mind.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

157 in a 100, driving between Fermoy to Mitchelstown, anyone who knows the road will know the long straight by tha barracks.

Went to court, got done for NCT being out, one bad tyre, provisional licence expired and more.

The guard that caught me failed to metion to the judge how fast I was going so I got off with that thank god, fair play to her.

Fined 2000 euro.

That was 6 years ago, certainly taught me a lesson, everything ALWAYS in order since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Onkle wrote: »
    I think I'll ask Ross to add 'High Horse' to the swear filter

Jesus lucky you weren't in a Delorean

I was done for doing 150 on the N21 coming out of Killarney. The Guard was laughing at me and telling me I could 'fairly drive', took them 4 miles to catch me. I was only accelerating when they got me with the gun :o

Lesson learned. The fine never reached me (goddamn fleet car) so I had to go to court. The Guard was sick that day though so it was struck out

LOL, that was lucky!

I was cought once doing 160km/h in 100km/h. I was overtaking silver corrola, which let me go, then that corolla turned on hidden flash lights...

When they stoped me, i thought they will murder me... I was really quite, told sorry, that i was stupid, i just whanted to get home, as i lost mine job 5 mins ago ( which was truth). They actually were really sound...

He told me i was doing 150km/h, which was no true... So i guess they did not had anything pointed at me...

then strange thing happened, they just gave all mine stuff back and walked away to theyr car... I got really confused... I got back to them and asked what now?
    They told me to wait for letter to court, but i newer got it... Actually really thankfull to them, after that time i newer drove like a tit anymore...

Thought one funny thing, one of them was walking around mine Opel calibra, after a good few minutes he asked: " what kind of car is that? ", Its funny when i remember now, but it wasnt funny then :D

It did looked nice: All black, Tinted black windows, Smoked rear lights, huge wing, 17" alloys. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Only caught once in Ireland, back in January 2001. 31Mph in a 30 zone... Pre-points and can't recall what the fine was. Was somewhere in Dublin (down the bottom of that road the Coombe is on... can't recall the name :o )

I wasn't stopped so at the time I assumed it was a camera or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Mena wrote: »
    Only caught once in Ireland, back in January 2001. 31Mph in a 30 zone... Pre-points and can't recall what the fine was. Was somewhere in Dublin (down the bottom of that road the Coombe is on... can't recall the name :o )

I wasn't stopped so at the time I assumed it was a camera or something.

Cork street by the sound of it, but 31 in a 30 never heard of anyone getting done for 1mph??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Cork street by the sound of it, but 31 in a 30 never heard of anyone getting done for 1mph??

Yeah Cork streek, that's the one. I was pretty shocked when I got it...1mph... give me a break :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

69 in a 50

Dundrum Bypass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

-3km/h

Limit was posted incorrectly. Points are now gone :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

lets just say very close to treble figures...... and leave it at that.... and how I kept my licence I will never know...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

60 KMPH in a 40KMPH "special" zone outside dual carriageway at Silversprings, Cork, heading into the city. About 07:30 am on a sunday morning. Not a sinner around.

I was a sick a small childrens hospital after it because I genuinley thought I was doing the correct speed limit. I was looking at the garda with the radar gun and I was thinking... "well he's not going to pull me". How stupid of me. Stupid place to have a 40kmph limit too... I'm still bitter over it.

Muppet Man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

unkel wrote: »
    These days I only drive over 200km/h if there is no other traffic / gatsos / fixed cameras around...

In Ireland? I'm surprised that you feel confident enough in the quality of the roads to go that fast.:P

• Advertisement
Advertisement