Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aftermath: English Paper 1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Chanandler Bong

totally handy, did the speech for part B and the science speech for the composition, never spoke so passionately about science before :eek: 1 mistake though, i attributed a quote to einstein which was actually GB Shaw :(

and btw, that bad grammar joke when talking about english papers has been way overdone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Question A on text 2, Question B on text 3, essay on public figures and why they deserve respect.

Ill start the panicked postmortem-ing, please tell me in question B text 3 they could just be imaginary photos and not famous ones? :o Like just ones i made up on the spot?

O and 2.5 pages A, 3 pages B (too long prob) and 5 pages essay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Sean_Ludawg

I always find it funny the way people talk about the amount of pages they wrote.....Not really a great barometer IMO

It went fine for me anyway! Could never really tell in english!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I hate English so much. :pac:

I'm pretty sure I wrote something that was pretty much the film Madagascar for a B part.

I also wrote three pages of crap on science and technology before time ran out. It's OK though because I threw in a Hitler reference. Everything's better when you liken it to Hitler.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

Question A on Text 1
    Question B on Text 2

Essay as usual was the short story based on the pictures.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

Did the Question A stuff on the zoo. Question B on Teenagers and trust. And the Science and Research essay. Had plenty of time too! Think my answers rambled a bit though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

It went alright, I don't really know tbh..agree the above, pages mean nothing. I wrote more pages than most here and I still think I did meh.
    @Futurism: Did exactly the same. What'd you say for your S&R essay?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Pala!

I agree that pages don't matter, I just would have liked to write slightly more than three pages for the composition. I was just at the third page when the time was gone. The contents were quite good though, well I think. Can't really tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭BLARG

Well that wasn't bad at all... delighted with that tbh!

HL - Text 1 Question A
    Text 2 - Question B - Short Speech
    Composing task - Question 1 - Magazine article on experience of education

same. Was a decent paper, the personal essay was a bit of a let down.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭phic

Part A on text 2
    Part B on text 1
    Did the short story about making a decision.
    Think it went pretty good, but didn't really like any of the part B's! was happy with how it turned out though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

WAIT WAIT WAIT.

I done my Question B on images that should be in the exhibition.

I suggested things like images of iPods and described why? Was I supposed to say actual pictures?:eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

I did question 1 on the photos, the speech for question two and the essay on my experience on education in question 3.

The choice on question 2 was limited , hence why >75% did the speech.
    I mean a dialog question and one where you choose photos from the imagination? FFS, very unfair. Two very dodge questions there.

Otherwise grand. The questions I answered were ok.

Bring on Paper 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Well that wasn't bad at all... delighted with that tbh!

HL - Text 1 Question A
    Text 2 - Question B - Short Speech
    Composing task - Question 1 - Magazine article on experience of education

+1 :)

Never have to write a bloody personal essay again!!!! :D

QA - about 1+1/4 pages for each...
    QB - 3 pages! :eek: :D
    Mag Article: about 4 pages.

I'm glad I got my timing right, and finished about 1min before the end, giving me time to look over it again. :)

paper 2 though....:o Vast, vast majority of people only have Bishop done! some have Longley as backup!

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭-Kenny-

meh was ok ... Pretty boring reading the zoo yoke !

i was in bed lovley and all at 11 last nite turned on the tv cause i cudnt sleep and saving private ryan just started on sky 1 i stayed up till 2 watching it ... then essay number 3 today 'an important decision' short story. D-DAY was the setting .. i feel that saving private ryan had sumthin to do with that:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭ImJohn

I did 5 and a half pages on the essay section. 4 pages on question A altogether (did too much for (ii)) and 4 pages for question B on teenagers. The short story was perfect, if anyone at all prepared an essay before hand was easily able to fit it in.

Lets pray tomorrow that Walcott, Longley, Keats and Bishop comes up. Come on!! No shocks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭sedantez

Pala! wrote: »
    Around the same number of pages for B and the composition. I would have liked to write more for the composition but I ran out of time, I was just on three pages. Overdone question A.

Hopefully they didn't ask you what the past tense of the verb:

to do

http://www.learnenglish.de/grammar/verbtodo.html

For the Dublin Zoo one I was delighted with myself, made a great joke up.

Is it to you, the general consensus, that animals in Dublin Zoo are operated by corpororate slaves and crackberry addicts who are only looking to profit from such a wonderful establishment? My apologies – while Dublin Zoo is full of fantastic species, the Celtic Tiger is not a breed we have yet incorporated.

Well chuffed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

Did the technology/science essay . . . .
    Ued this quote
    ''When I took office, only physicists had heard about the World Wide Web. Now even my cat has its own page.''-Bill Clinton

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

It's over........I'll have a nap now :mad:

Stupid fúcking drunks

(Did Question A on Text 1, Question B on text 2, and the Science and Technology composition. Really could have been a lot worse, didnt think the composition titles would be so nice)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

sedantez wrote: »
    Hopefully they didn't ask you what the past tense of the verb:

to do

http://www.learnenglish.de/grammar/verbtodo.html

Grow up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Am I the only one that found that hard! :O

All the b questions where an absolute nightmare!

OH! And keeping with the theme of decisions I think we might get a question about Macbeth's resolve (regarding the decision to kill Duncan)

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Dr Gradus

These threads are silly in my opinion.

Whats done is done, no point dwelling on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭HUNK

Section 1
    Text 1 - Question A - I may have neglected part (iii)
    Text 2 - Question B - meh, It was ok

Section 2
    Composing - 6) A personal essay on daydreaming - Delighted with this as I was able to relate to it quite well. :D Got just over 4 pages on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Pala!

OK, I make a mistake with my grammer. Wow.

Slightly tired of thinking at the moment, excuse me if I offended anyone with my mistake.

:rolleyes:

Dr Gradus wrote: »
    These threads are silly in my opinion.

Whats done is done, no point dwelling on it.
    exactly. just wanna chill out now and tackle p2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Did part A text 1, part B text 2 and the article on respected public figures.
    I hope whoever corrects my paper will have voted Fine Gael :rolleyes:

Our supervisor was a tool! The library was divided with a line of tables and there was a supervisor either side.. we started at a quarter to and the other side started on time! He'd better not be like this for all of the exams..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Did anyone else read all 3 texts? It took me about 20 minutes and then I had to choose which one to do!

I did Text 3 for QA - spents about an hour on the comprehension and wrote about 3 and a half pages altogether :D :pac:

Did the speech for QB - only had time for a page and a half - completely rushed

And then the essay - wrote my best first 2 pages in months and then scribbled down a third.

Has to be one of the worst time management records ever !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Not too bad, not too bad at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

WAIT WAIT WAIT.

I done my Question B on images that should be in the exhibition.

I suggested things like images of iPods and described why? Was I supposed to say actual pictures?:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Question B on Text 3 said that your art teacher has asked students to suggest images they would like to be included in her exhibition that reflects the lives of young people today.. "Write a letter to your art teacher proposing five images that you believe should be included and give reasons for your decision in each case". So my assumption is that,since it didn't say "well known" or "famous" pictures that they can be any random image that your head can come up with to do with young people today.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I read all of Texts 1 and 2 but then I got distracted by what appears to be a kitty in one the photographs. Only started writing about 20 minutes in. :pac:

Advertisement