Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aftermath: English Paper 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Went pretty well I thought.

I did Question B on Text 1 and Question A on Text 3.

Then a short story on the decisive moment.

I'm not looking forward to paper 2 at all... :(

I thought that was a brilliant paper, really, it was.

I did Question A on Text II
    Question B on Text III
    And the short story on an important decision.

I can't see how that could have gone much better, really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 cloak

messed UP BIG TIME:(

did 1 page for each question on part A,,, left out the 3rd question on 4 styles of persuasive writing by mistake...

Did 2 pages for part B

and get this....1 PAGE for the essay on respect for public figures...mismanaged my time thinkin it was over at 12:50 not 12:20...

you guys think theres any chance i'd have gotten 100 out of the 200 marks???

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭donfarrell

I did Text 1 (A) and Text 2 (B) and did the decisive moment essay with 7.5 pages on that. Did 5 on part A and 2 on part B YAY :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

cloak wrote: »
    messed UP BIG TIME:(

did 1 page for each question on part A,,, left out the 3rd question on 4 styles of persuasive writing by mistake...

Did 2 pages for part B

and get this....1 PAGE for the essay on respect for public figures...mismanaged my time thinkin it was over at 12:50 not 12:20...

you guys think theres any chance i'd have gotten 100 out of the 200 marks???
    Don't worry about it. It's over now. Nothing you can do. Just look forward to paper 2. :)

• Advertisement

People seem to be very concerned with quantity. Don't worry about it. It's not about quantity, it's about quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭daithiolabhrai

i thought it went really well, as was the opinion of my fellow students!

i did TEXT 1, Question A

TEXT 3, Question B

And the speech on science and technology

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

I did Question A on the Australian Town thing, horrible. B on the Photographs (a letter to your teacher?) My name was Johnny McFlowers and I opened it, How are ya miss, Johnny here! and I didnt even finish it.....

Then I did a big epic short story on drug smuggling oooooh!
    It was a girl on a train waiting to get to the airport havign flashbacks to how she ended up there on the way to the airport to fly to Bagladesh to smuggle heroin.

I reckon I did very mediocre-ly :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

I'm pretty happy with that. I never was or will be an A student in English, but I'm happy with that :D
    Seems I'm the only one that did this combination. Did the A part of the photos, and the B part of the teenage responsibility thing, and then the essay titled "the decisive moment".
    But they were really weird B parts, no diary, and what was with the conversation animal yoke? :P
    Anyway, me happy! :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 284 ✭✭We

GA361 wrote: »
    Did the technology/science essay . . . .
    Ued this quote
    ''When I took office, only physicists had heard about the World Wide Web. Now even my cat has its own page.''-Bill Clinton

thats actually a pretty good quote :D

did the same essay.. my last line was 'would like to conclude with a quote....' but realised the quote I was gonna use wouldn't actually suit that well.. :F
    So I changed it to 'I would like to conclude with a quote by Neil Armstrong regarding his first steps on the moon, though the words of this statement I feel, apply to, and reverberate the same significance of every scientific and technological breakthrough throughout time, 'one small step...' something like that anyway... :F

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

Well that wasn't bad at all... delighted with that tbh!

HL - Text 1 Question A
    Text 2 - Question B - Short Speech
    Composing task - Question 1 - Magazine article on experience of education

yup, did the same questions

wrote 5 pages for essay. Got (i) and (ii) done. Then only had like 20-30mins left for A part (iii) and the speech. Got a page down for the speech of very rushed english. Got bit of information (iii) down, even though they asked for 4 bits of information.

Eh, worst case scenario, 60/100 for essay, 10/15, 10/15, 2/20, 20/50 (will I get 20/50 for a very rushed 1page answer for the speech?).
    = 102/200 = 51%

Best case scenari, 85/100, 12/15, 12/15, 5/20, 30/50
    = 144/200 = 72%

meh..

But they were really weird B parts, no diary, and what was with the conversation animal yoke? :P

Absolutely agree. I just smiled and said to myself "OK don't touch that!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭dermo1990

Paper 1 wasn't as bad as I originally thought. Did
    Text 1 Question A
    Text 2 Question B
    Composition - You time in education (Q.1)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

People seem to be very concerned with quantity. Don't worry about it. It's not about quantity, it's about quality.

Well they're interlinked a bit. You need to have a certain length for an answer to be properly thought out and finished off well, that's taken into consideration, Same as a good quality answer will have length to it, but after you've got 2 pages for your composing essay...you're in the wind really.

I know someone who filled her booklet and was onto her second one with half an hour to go. how tf?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭ImJohn

I read the questions B first than picked which one I did and than looked at the other question A questions and the zoo one seemed the easiest. The first question was like stating the obvious. The second was was basically your opinion so as long as you back it up its right. And the third was alright I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

That wasn't so bad. Did Q1A, Q2B and the essay on your time in school, or whatever. Whoever gets my paper is getting rather sarcastic blow by blow account of my life so far, but mneh, if it's taken in the right context, it'll do really well. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭haloauto

I thought it went ok. Spent too long on the comprehension though.

Did A on Text 3 - 3 1/2 pages total
    Did the 20 marker on the pic with the man and cat. Said something like the future looked brighter as symbolised by the brighter background. :p

Did the speech for B - 2 pages

Did a short story prompted by the girl and boy in the fence thingy beside the dock. - 4 pages

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

This reminds me. I hope I'm not the only one who thought of the father has looking similar to this in text 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

The theme was pretty good. Pretty much any story involves a decision.

I went with Question A on Text 1 and Question B on Text 3. The cartoon Question B thing sounded weird.
    Then I did a short story about the photograph.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

It was fine overall however, I didn't have time to answer (iii) of question A. Feck. Other than I thought it was fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

I hope my examiner has a sick sense of humour as I may have said "No medical card or Christian Brothers'" in opposition to schooldays being the best of your life in the intro to my composition :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I know someone who filled her booklet and was onto her second one with half an hour to go. how tf?!

Lets hope she was ripping out pages on the sly, i only got just past half way id say :o

for the essay on respected public figures who did ye write about? i did barack obama (original eh?), bono and bob geldof, jack charlton and then a reference to other people. Bit of a random assortment, i was kinda all over the place :rolleyes:

K4t wrote: »
    I hope my examiner has a sick sense of humour as I may have said "No medical card or Christian Brothers'" in opposition to schooldays being the best of your life in the intro to my composition :pac:

lol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Richyj_0

It was ok, wasn't it? I spent too long on text 1 question A, I did text 2 question B and then the essay on experiences of education or something. Not looking forward to tomorrow, Engineering and English Paper 2!! I'm happy enough anyways...

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

for the essay on respected public figures who did ye write about? i
    I'm getting a bit worried because I didn't see half these choices on the paper,I'm beginning to wonder if the essay I did on daydreams was even on the paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Mick_Grif

Did not write near enough for the essay :(:mad: Did the day dreaming 1 ran out of things to write about and could only wight 2 and half pages:eek:

section 1 was easy enuf though, in fact I wrote more for section 1 than the essay -.-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I'm getting a bit worried because I didn't see half these choices on the paper,I'm beginning to wonder if the essay I did on daydreams was even on the paper.

ah it was, dont worry :D ive probably phrased mine different to how it was on the paper. Took me about a page to realise that the question actually included something on their qualities, had to do a bit of tippexing to fit that into the intro :o:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Lets hope she was ripping out pages on the sly, i only got just past half way id say :o

Nah she's always wrote loads for essays, sure our teacher was nearly handing back books to her after essay corrections!

I'm sure you did fine :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Wrote 1.5, 2 and 2 pages for question A, almost 3 for question B then 3 and a half for the essay. Have a feeling the relative lengths of them are gonna cost me. Tomorrow will be the test, just have to pass english so hopefully I'll manage that. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

i wrote 12 pages over all, i am not looking foward to paper 2

Advertisement