Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aftermath: English Paper 1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭bricky10

I did the A on the zoo, B on the speech and did the newspaper article Q5 i think :S

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

http://www.leaving-cert.net !!!!!

For the ultimate post-exam discussion

Ha

I just made that up

Went pretty okay, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭goose1

I did the first essay..the article on your experience of education?? But I'm pretty sure it was irrelevant and im going to get no marks :(:(:(
    intro-as a leaving certificate student ive been looking back over my time in the school blaaah
    2- 1st day of secondary school/school like 2nd home
    3- exams, study
    4-being in a school play in 3rd year
    5-biology exps and struggling in maths

:S:S..is that totally irrelevant?? cuz its not really about my exps of EDUCATION until the last paragraph its exps of school life :S..im act freaking out here :(
    what did everyone else do for that section??

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Nihilist21

I thought that was a decent paper, the scope of the theme seemed to make it easier to dish out answers. Anyhoo, here's what I did:

Text 3: A
    Text 2: B

Composing: Short story on a decision or something. I wrote in first person looking back on when I decided not to commit suicide, so that was cheerful (very happy with it though).

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Isaac702

I answered Text 1: A and Text 3: B for section 1 and Question 3 for Section 2.

I wasn't really paying to much attention to the lengths of the answers as I was more conserned at getting as much down as I could in the time allotted for each question. Due to this I dont know lengths of each individual part.

Over all I think I did ok although the essay relies on the examiner being open to some science fiction concepts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭meathawk

I did the first composition too.I don't what was irrelevant.I talked about primary school and religion then how religion fades in secondary school and work becomes more important etc.bullying bullying groups blah blah blah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

goose1 wrote: »
    I did the first essay..the article on your experience of education?? But I'm pretty sure it was irrelevant and im going to get no marks :(:(:(
    intro-as a leaving certificate student ive been looking back over my time in the school blaaah
    3- exams, study

:S:S..is that totally irrelevant?? cuz its not really about my exps of EDUCATION until the last paragraph its exps of school life :S..im act freaking out here :(
    That's pretty much exactly the way I structured it.

Education is much, much more than exams/classroom. Your essay is fine for purpose imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭corridon69

will longley or walcott come up in paper 2 ???? answers plz i have essays learned off on both of them but should i try and do bishop tonight to be sure???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

so I'm the only one who thought it was hard? :( I was like I'll do the A that doesn't ask about features or techniques or styles. they all had that question. hadn't a ****ing clue, 20 marks gone. I did the animals dialogue? never did I dialogue before are you meant to do it a certain way? mine was really short and ****e too. there was no diary entry :(

then for the essay there was a nice few options but I was just so hot and bothered and I just had to get out and leave. wrote 2 and half pages for the magazine article and it was crap! seriously though my whole body was sweating :pac: the heat, thought I was going to die

corridon69 wrote: »
    will longley or walcott come up in paper 2 ???? answers plz i have essays learned off on both of them but should i try and do bishop tonight to be sure???

Don't worry about it, both are on the paper. I've seen the paper. (Sarcasm).

How can anybody possibly answer that question for you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭naasface

yeah theyre obessed with styles/features of good writing. bastads.
    i did the question A about the photos and text (txt3)
    did the question B on the speech to parents about trusting older teenagers (talked about the portrayal of teens in media give misinformed idea of us and stuff-was weird!)
    essay was personal essay on daydreaming. it swayed between the importance of the imagination and my own daydreaming.. fingers crossed the marker is generous.
    Paper was allright. Same standard as the mocks though. Hopefully they'll be marked easier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭KokaNoodles

Davidius wrote: »
    I read all of Texts 1 and 2 but then I got distracted by what appears to be a kitty in one the photographs. Only started writing about 20 minutes in. :pac:
    Would u say that u were daydreaming?? I did that one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Did the questions on the Zoo..

Then the speech on teenage decision making

Then essay on education experience (which btw I also just wrote about school life, not about Edu)

Came to just over 13 pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Higher Level:
    Text 2 - Question B - Short Speech
    Text 3 - Question A - Questions about Photography
    Composing task - Question 1 - Magazine article on experience of education

Wasn't too bad at all, got about 10 pages done aswell. Roll on Paper 2.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 DimestoreSaint

Did section A on the zoo. Found it handy enough. (i) was just going through the piece and picking out evidence, (ii) I just re wrote the agianst zoo argument in my own words and (iii) was grand coz our teacher spent a few days at the end doing all the features of descriptive writing, persuasive writing etc etc.

Section B on the speech to parents. There's some bull**** in it but I'd say I'll get 30+ for it??

Did essay number 7 where a photograph plays a part in the plot, it fit perfectly with the essay I did throughout the yearr.

Hopefully P2 goes as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I did
    Question A on Text 3

Question B on Text 2

and the essay about indecision... i seem to be the only one here who did that one though...

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

question a - text 1
    question b - text 3

section 2 - Q7, write a speech about science and technology.

all in all it was easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

K4t wrote: »
    Did anyone else read all 3 texts? It took me about 20 minutes and then I had to choose which one to do!

Our teacher told us not to do that for exactly that reason: too time-constraining.

We were told to pick a Question B that we wanted to do, and then pick whichever of the other two texts had the better Question A, and only then read that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

3- exams, study

you were spot on. Well done. It's about your experience. The only place you can experience education is school

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Higher Level:
    Text 3 - Question A - Questions about Photography

Wasn't too bad at all, got about 10 pages done aswell. Roll on Paper 2.:cool:
    Aye, I did the exact same as you. They really wanted to drill that 'decisive moment' thing into us :D Thought it was a lovely comprehension tbh although I spent far too long on it. So easy to write on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Anyone else see the paper as kinda mocking?

Like, its put down on the desk, face up, all i see is the theme of decisions. Cue waiting a few minutes till we can start, all the while thinking ahhh what essay will i do?? Then reading through the paper, my initial reaction is OOO NOOES i have to decide which ones to do, ahhhh decisions decisions :eek::eek:

Just me? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Question a-zoo
    Question B-decision speech
    Essay-daydreaming

Was a lovely paper.
    one down ony 9 more to go:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭-ME-

I did:

Text 1 Q A- 3.5 pgs
    Text 2 Q B- 2 pgs.... Just like the rest of the country by the look of things!

Then I did the essay on day- dreaming, was approx. 4 pages. I'm hoping I stayed relevant.

When I first read the through the paper, I thought it was awful but when i actually got into it it wasn't too bad. I thought Section B Q1 was impossible and stupid and the speech in the composition section was particularly sh*te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭haloauto

Ahaha wtf?

127983238_9965bcf2fe.jpg

3- exams, study

I did pretty much the same as you. Different headings, but same style. Remember, your experiences isn't necessarily what you did. It could be what you saw, heard, stuff like that.

You should be just fine with what you did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭k8hm

i did question A text three, question B text two, and the science and technology essay...quoted dara o'briain in my essay...i wonder how that will go down :P

Anyone else see the paper as kinda mocking?

Like, its put down on the desk, face up, all i see is the theme of decisions. Cue waiting a few minutes till we can start, all the while thinking ahhh what essay will i do?? Then reading through the paper, my initial reaction is OOO NOOES i have to decide which ones to do, ahhhh decisions decisions :eek::eek:

Just me? :p

LOL :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭yummy91

i did text 1 question a text 2 question b and section 2 a decisive moment

it was good enough but i'm dreading the rest!! eepp.....:(:(

Did section A on the zoo. Found it handy enough. (i) was just going through the piece and picking out evidence, (ii) I just re wrote the agianst zoo argument in my own words

Shouldn't (ii) have been your own opinions, i.e. opinions that weren't in the text? Because otherwise you're just repeating half of (i) with more elaboration? Did anyone else do it my way? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Gi joe!

I'm probably in the tiny minority that did Question B the cartoon film against or for zoos.

Now I really regret it. The examiner will probably think I'm on high with the stuff I came out with.

Still, it wasn't too bad, QA and the short story seemed to go quite well

Advertisement