Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aftermath: English Paper 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭internetaddict

Jade182 wrote: »
    Question B on Text 3 said that your art teacher has asked students to suggest images they would like to be included in her exhibition that reflects the lives of young people today.. "Write a letter to your art teacher proposing five images that you believe should be included and give reasons for your decision in each case". So my assumption is that,since it didn't say "well known" or "famous" pictures that they can be any random image that your head can come up with to do with young people today.:pac:

Yeah I just suggested imaginary images too. There weren't 5 photos on the page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Gi joe! wrote: »
    I'm probably in the tiny minority that did Question B the cartoon film against or for zoos.

Now I really regret it. The examiner will probably think I'm on high with the stuff I came out with.

Still, it wasn't too bad, QA and the short story seemed to go quite well

More likely it'll be marked easier because there are less other samples to compare it to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭BlindedByGInge

Wasnt too bad really, essays werent great i thought

1 annoyin thing for us was we had feckin birds inside our hall!!! The side doors were open for air and like 4 birds were in da hall all morning, another 3 flew in during the exam!!! pain in da ass flyin around annoying every1

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭phic

I'm probably in the tiny minority that did Question B the cartoon film against or for zoos.

Now I really regret it. The examiner will probably think I'm on high with the stuff I came out with.

yeah i did the cartoon scrpt too! don't worry i don't think there is a way to write about talking animals without sounding a bit high!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Anyone else see the paper as kinda mocking?

Like, its put down on the desk, face up, all i see is the theme of decisions. Cue waiting a few minutes till we can start, all the while thinking ahhh what essay will i do?? Then reading through the paper, my initial reaction is OOO NOOES i have to decide which ones to do, ahhhh decisions decisions :eek::eek:

Just me? :p

Just you I think! Our papers were left face-down til the exam started...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Bah hate the way that it was on in the morning. Got only six hours sleep so was a bit wrecked going in. In saying that, I did alright and did 13 pages. My hand was in agony though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

We wrote: »
    thats actually a pretty good quote :D

did the same essay.. my last line was 'would like to conclude with a quote....' but realised the quote I was gonna use wouldn't actually suit that well.. :F
    So I changed it to 'I would like to conclude with a quote by Neil Armstrong regarding his first steps on the moon, though the words of this statement I feel, apply to, and reverberate the same significance of every scientific and technological breakthrough throughout time, 'one small step...' something like that anyway... :F

I used that quote too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Did the popular choices really, Text 1 QA(about 4 pages I think), Text 2 QB(2 and a half to 3? I can't even remember) and the first essay about your experience of education(4 and a half pages). Overall I felt it went really well but I'm good at Paper 1 in general. If you aren't good at English then I'd say it was tough, if you chose the wrong QB or ran out of steam during your essay it could've been not so hot... Wasn't the easiest paper really, so hopefully it'll be marked nicely. Being honest I think I did a great job of it :D Fucked for tomorrow however, have to learn all my answers tonight ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

DaPoolRulz wrote: »
    Shouldn't (ii) have been your own opinions, i.e. opinions that weren't in the text? Because otherwise you're just repeating half of (i) with more elaboration? Did anyone else do it my way? :confused:
    Yeah, I did it like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Well that wasn't bad at all... delighted with that tbh!

HL - Text 1 Question A
    Text 2 - Question B - Short Speech
    Composing task - Question 1 - Magazine article on experience of education
    Snap. Finished up about 20 minutes before end so I wasn't rushing too much.

• Advertisement

Not sure if this is allowed - but I saw nothing in the charter about it. Mods I'm sure you can remove this if you've any issues with it

Here's a link to the exam paper for those interested. (Warning - pdf file is 10.8mb)

Click Me

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭aisling.laura

I did that one too, reckoned a lot of people wouldn't do it so thought it'd be easier to get marks for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I did my question A on Text 1 and my question B on text 3. I was sorta tempted to do question A part 2 but then I figured I'd just end up writing out the script of Madegascar. When I was writing about the persuasive writing techniques I didn't read the part where it said "and comment on their effectiveness" so I had to go back and scribble down ways in which they were effective, I hope it isn't too obvious that I only realised at the last minute.

I tried to use the persuasive techniques that I listed in question A in my speech, not sure how effective it was. Think it might have been a bit rambly at places. I stuck in a few comments like "I can see a few of you nodding along in agreement" to try and say "SEE? I KNOW MY AUDIENCE!!!" to the examiner. Mighta been a bit obvious what I was trying to do though.

Sorta did the same thing for my essay, which was about the experience of eduation. I basically just went from my first day in secondary school through all my years, making sure to re-inforce the point that education isn't just formal book-learnin' so that I could get away with talking about school trips and musicals and stuff. I stuck in a lot of comments like "remember this, first years!" or "it's all ahead of you third years" again to try and say to the examiner "LOOK! I KNOW MY AUDIENCE!". The only thing it, beause the two composition pieces were a speech and a light-hearted article, the language was pretty simple, so I hope I get marks for using the right register, and don't lose them for talking like a teenage girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

I did that too. I felt mental writing it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Piste wrote: »
    When I was writing about the persuasive writing techniques I didn't read the part where it said "and comment on their effectiveness"

Yeah, I think I forgot that for my first two or three examples too.

Oh I had an epic one for the zoo question A(iii)

I said she used a 'Won't somebody think of the children' approach to try influence her audience! :D:D :pac:

Does anyone know when marking schemes come out? I want to see if they say "allow liberal interpretation of "Education" " and if they say you have to outline every aspect of the arguments yere wans made in the zoo yoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

naasface wrote: »
    yeah theyre obessed with styles/features of good writing. bastads.

Actually ye wtf are features of writing?

Lol. Piste it'll probably be when we get our results back before we see or hear of a marking scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Anyone else slight unsure about the theme....

(this is a joke... Its not very good, but please at least try and get it)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Oh I had an epic one for the zoo question A(iii)

I said she used a 'Won't somebody think of the children' approach to try influence her audience! :D:D :pac:

If it was down to me that would get full marks. :P
    Does anyone know when marking schemes come out? I want to see if they say "allow liberal interpretation of "Education" " and if they say you have to outline every aspect of the arguments yere wans made in the zoo yoke.

There will be liberal interpretations of education allowed, they're not usually real sticklers for staying on topic. And of course the entire school experience is what they're looking for an answer on, not an outline on each of the subjects you're doing. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭superLeetive

I did Section A - Text 3
    Section B - Text 2

Essay 6 - Personal essay on dreamtime and imaginings.

No one on here seems to have done that combination yet.

Hope my examiner isn't a massive Bertie and Biffo fan or thinks that NAMA will be a huge success. Bit controversial but hopefully s/he has a sense of humour!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭kdak

did my lc two years ago, believe me, you'll be surprised with your results when you get them! they're always better than you think!and you'll prob think of great quotes/answers you could've used about two weeks from now! it sucks! good luck with the rest! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭AJ6000

I did the cartoon script thing! Think I was the only one out of 31 honours students who did it in my school! Had great fun writing it. Was 2 pages but I don't really care how long it was because I thought it had sufficient quality in it! It was meant to be a cartoon so you had to have humour in it. Mine was about two extremely posh lions called Richard and Rupert! I was for the zoos because they were talking about the life of luxury they had in the zoo! Very Madagascar but the examiners must have known that they would get something like that if they put a question like this one up!

I did my question A on Text 1 and my question B on text 3. I was sorta tempted to do question A part 2 but then I figured I'd just end up writing out the script of Madegascar. When I was writing about the persuasive writing techniques I didn't read the part where it said "and comment on their effectiveness" so I had to go back and scribble down ways in which they were effective, I hope it isn't too obvious that I only realised at the last minute.

I tried to use the persuasive techniques that I listed in question A in my speech, not sure how effective it was. Think it might have been a bit rambly at places. I stuck in a few comments like "I can see a few of you nodding along in agreement" to try and say "SEE? I KNOW MY AUDIENCE!!!" to the examiner. Mighta been a bit obvious what I was trying to do though.

Sorta did the same thing for my essay, which was about the experience of eduation. I basically just went from my first day in secondary school through all my years, making sure to re-inforce the point that education isn't just formal book-learnin' so that I could get away with talking about school trips and musicals and stuff. I stuck in a lot of comments like "remember this, first years!" or "it's all ahead of you third years" again to try and say to the examiner "LOOK! I KNOW MY AUDIENCE!". The only thing it, beause the two composition pieces were a speech and a light-hearted article, the language was pretty simple, so I hope I get marks for using the right register, and don't lose them for talking like a teenage girl.

That's pretty much EXACTLY how I wrote my speech and essay!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

Does anyone know when marking schemes come out? I want to see if they say "allow liberal interpretation of "Education"

Anyone I've talked to hasn't really discussed the actual education side too much. I only realised that it didn't say school system or some such, but actually education until I was closing it up, so I just stuck in towards the end about how it isn't all about the books and stuff. I wouldn't worry too much about it really, the majority of people seem to have interpreted it quite liberally :P

amacachi wrote: »

There will be liberal interpretations of education allowed, they're not usually real sticklers for staying on topic. And of course the entire school experience is what they're looking for an answer on, not an outline on each of the subjects you're doing. :pac:

Whoops. Mightn't have been such a good idea to mention how much I hate geography in every paragraph so.

1st year- "discovered I hated geography"
    3rd Year- "realised I quite liked all my school subjects- except geography"
    4th year- "Had to do a load of sketch maps- that pesky geography again"
    5th year- "lived in a geography-free happiness"

Lets jsut hope my corrector isn't an English and Geography teacher...

That's pretty much EXACTLY how I wrote my speech and essay!

I think it's long been established that your the metally, Cork version of me :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Whoops. Mightn't have been such a good idea to mention how much I hate geography in every paragraph so.

1st year- "discovered I hated geography"
    3rd Year- "realised I quite liked all my school subjects- except geography"
    4th year- "Had to do a load of sketch maps- that pesky geography again"
    5th year- "lived in a geography-free happiness"

Lets jsut hope my corrector isn't an English and Geography teacher...

4th year- despite realising twice in previous years that I didn't like geography, I decided to make sure :P Geography should be fun on Friday anyway.

I just said how great all my teachers were, and compared school with being on the dole, and opened and closed with "They're the best days of your life." Think I'll get away with the cliché since I pointed out that it was an obvious cliché. Hopefully. :P

• Advertisement

I wasn't aware of that :P Nah, can't be true, you study! :pac: The introductory paragraph of my essay was a pretty dodge, I remember I said something like 'how to cram 6 years into one article? To be vague or not to be vague, that is the question' and then said how the staff mightn't approve of my essay but I'd have a good mixture of stuff in it or something rubbishy like that :( I was well cheeky in some of it too :P Jesus they better have a sense of humour......

Advertisement