Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aftermath: English Paper 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I decided to play it safe and not try to be funny at all in case I fell flat on my face. Like I had a wonderful quip about the depressed polar bear in Dublin zoo being Bi-polar bear but I decided to play it safe and not mention it in question 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Piste....

roflcopter9gr.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Piste wrote: »
    I decided to play it safe and not try to be funny at all in case I fell flat on my face. Like I had a wonderful quip about the depressed polar bear in Dublin zoo being Bi-polar bear but I decided to play it safe and not mention it in question 1.

LOL would've been great for an opinion piece but you were probably better off. Would've worked for the dialogue question though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

challengemaster...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

amacachi wrote: »
    opened and closed with "They're the best days of your life." Think I'll get away with the cliché since I pointed out that it was an obvious cliché. Hopefully. :P

I'd say more or less the entire country included that line :D

• Advertisement

LOL would've been great for an opinion piece but you were probably better off. Would've worked for the dialogue question though!

Dammit I coulda used it for the zoo thing "hi there bi-polar bear, what's got you so down?!" "Well, manic-depressive meerkat, I just can't stand it anymore..."

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Part A was on text 2, I'm a bit worried about that because I wrote loads of poetry terms as elements of descriptive writing! I kind of explained it so they made sense, maybe they'll pity me.
    I did the script for part B. Looking back I have no idea why. I wrote some mad thing about a gorilla and a flamingo who are best friends. I wanted to make them a crime fighting duo but I didn't know how I could make that pro/anti zoos without going completely off the deep end :pac:

Did the article on school life, everyone else in my school did the short story. Essay was fun to write, got six pages (although it was a bit rambly)

Oh also my friend did her A and B from the same text and only realised after the exam, when I asked her what texts she did! Poor girl, she said she read the instructions but still managed to do it anyway...

ALSO also I opened my education essay really stupidly. "Pink Floyd once said "We don't need no education." Well they could have used a bit more, because that statement is a double negative." I hope they don't cop that I kind of stole it from the IT crowd!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Dammit I coulda used it for the zoo thing "hi there bi-polar bear, what's got you so down?!" "Well, manic-depressive meerkat, I just can't stand it anymore..."

Coulda woulda shoulda ;) I know its a port mortem thread but don't worry about it! I'm sure your QB was fine! After all, it was so similar to mine ya know? ;):pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

I thought that went okay. I think I slipped up by mentioning good and bad memories of school for the Magazine article. But overallit was alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭AJ6000

Im not downing your answer but the main aim of a cartoon like this is to make a point and be funny at the same time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭louliewan

Glad I read these posts, thought I had made some major blunders, feel so much better. Did Text 1a, text 3b and Decisive moment essay, I felt the b options were tough. Roll on tomorrow, at least we have an idea of what we should know.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 pluxus

for qB from text 3, did people write informal or formal to their teacher? :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

phasers wrote: »
    Oh also my friend did her A and B from the same text and only realised after the exam, when I asked her what texts she did! Poor girl, she said she read the instructions but still managed to do it anyway...

Always happens to someone
    Dman001 wrote: »
    I thought that went okay. I think I slipped up by mentioning good and bad memories of school for the Magazine article. But overallit was alright.

I think that's good. I paraphrased a JD line from Scrubs by saying our school experience is a combination of all our memories, the good and the bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭aleyra

i think mine went okay. Text 1 i did question A text 2 question B. Kinda worried about if i addressed my audience enough and if i answer the question properly.Ii said teenagers should be allowed to make their own decisions so that they can make their own mistakes as its a part of life and all that crap.

Did the speech on science and technology for the essay. Opened with an article i read in the herald this morning about the US military in Afganistan having Bebo and Myspace sites..Knew reading the paper this morning would help:D

Although i did have a dodgy paragraph about how cars have made our lives and how everyone has one and then went on to talk about how the luas cuts down on traffic and those commuting from the suburbs:rolleyes:
    Anyway i kept repeating how science has improved our daily lives to tell the examiner 'look i have a point!' Hope its alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

when doing an informal letter, is it your own address you put down in the top right and do you sign your name???

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Science and Technology: Essential tools for life.

Doing two speeches though kind of annoyed me made me feel a bit more complacent especially since they were both persuasive ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

http://www.leaving-cert.net

I can't believe no one has gotten pissed at me for repeatedly posting this link yet.

Maybe I'm just not getting the emails...

Well if you really want....stop spamming with the link. If you do it again I'll ban you.

It's nice to know I'm loved :D

(and in no way delusional)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

I did 3.5 pages on A on text 3. Pretty happy, (iii) was a little short compared to the others though.

Did 2.5 pages on B on text 2,, I think.. it was the speech on giving teenagers more responsibility and decisions.. pretty happy with it.

Did (5) for the composing, 4 1/2 pages, pretty happy, used the Obama and Irish rugby team essays combined that I did before , and got A's on so all going well I'll get that again.

Overall, very happy with the paper, didn't get stuck for time like in the Mocks, and not really as nervous about the rest now that the first one is down, 9 to go and it's the SUMMER!!! :cool::D:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

Stev_o wrote: »
    Science and Technology: Essential tools for life.

Doing two speeches though kind of annoyed me made me feel a bit more complacent especially since they were both persuasive ones.

Yeah I know exactly what you mean, I basically spent 3 quarters of the time writing speeches and I just stopped caring about my audience.

Was reasonably happy with my 'Science and Technology' speech, thank god I read ''A Short History Of Nearly Everything'' by Bill Bryson, it was full of the kind of useful stuff you would stick in to an essay.

I wrote about Newton's 'Principia' and how the invention of calculus change loads of stuff and about the discovery of radioactivity and all its benefits (Thank you physics!) and just about advancements in health. Then contrasted it with Africa and how their lives could be so much improved by the technology.. and rounded it off with the LHC in CERN saying.. 'they invented the internet last time who knows what will come next?' and loads of crap about humanity's perpetual endeavour for knowlege.

Also had it at a teacher's conference thing so as to like make them passionate about science so they can pass it on to their students and the like.

My main concern is that it wasn't 'speech-ey' enough.
    I kind of used all my 'speech energy' on QB

Who would that be?

Mr.S wrote: »
    Well seeing as a mod does post on there...:rolleyes:

Nah it was nothing to do with my blog, I just didn't notice him spamming the link until he pointed it out. Jeez how many times do we have to deny the Mod Conspiracy?! :pac:

Yeah but which of the bloggers is...Piste?!

Mr.S wrote: »
    I was sort of joking :pac:

That :rolleyes: smily says to much:D

Ask her yourself:)
    Okay...uhm...who are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,382 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Was worse then I thought. Hated the essay titles, nothing abouth football!!! :P

Did the Zoo for part A
    And the big whinge "Im a teenager im really Mature" for part B.

Did The short story about the big decision.
    It was shoite tbh, A guy offered me drugs to smuggle... i do... i get caught. Big internal conflict....blahblahblah.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Toad-Girl

DaPoolRulz wrote: »
    Always happens to someone

I think that's good. I paraphrased a JD line from Scrubs by saying our school experience is a combination of all our memories, the good and the bad.

Ha ha I stole the 'you're amazing' line from scrubs and also the turk quote about sticking around cos there is a kid involved.
    But the highlight of my exam was the personal response to the unemployment image....My opening line was 'there are eight men. seven of them are wearing hats...' and to be honest it didn't improve much after that....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Toad-Girl wrote: »
    'there are eight men. seven of them are wearing hats...' and to be honest it didn't improve much after that....

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

lol...youtube came up in pass english :D:D...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

i liked the english paper!:D

Text 1 A roughly 1.5 pages for each part
    text 3 B 2 pages
    Essay about making decisions, 5.5 pages

Im sooo happy i got it finished, i didnt in my mocks!
    im just thinking, maybe P2 is like impossible to balance out P1 being so class??
    or is that just me and my negativity when it comes to exams??

Advertisement