Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mary Lou

Options
  • 03-06-2009 3:36am
    Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Just looking at the repeat of the primetime special on this, but does anyone think Mary-Lou McDonald has aged about 30 years in the past 12 months? She looks dishevelled to an uncouth extent. Her arguments are pathetic by comparison to her last time around and she's unable to stand up to anyone else on the panel?!

What's happened to her? She used to be the SF flagship (in terms of intellect and brand value).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Dumb

She a useless heap if you ask me but then I don't really like Sinn Féin

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Dumb wrote: »
    Neither do I. At the same time, though, I always thought she was the most eloquent or at least articulate speakers on behalf of SF. But she seems to have folded completely. I'm not completely au fait with her appearances recently, I'm just going on the Primetime show, but she seems to have lost the charisma and prowess that she's previously had?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Saw a bit of that show. I wouldn't say she aged 30 years (wouldn't that make her 60-something?!) She looked a bit drained alright - I'd say she just needed a few hours sleep.

I always thought she was very deadpan (and a bit lifeless at times) but I still think she's a good speaker and a competent politician.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

Well, her debating style of late has been to try and shout the other guy down, so last night was a welcome change. I have more respect for her when she isn't constantly trying to interrupt the other speaker (although she had her moments last night too).

She seemed tired, though, which is understandable after a couple of months campaigning in a tight race. I'm sure she also gets weary about having to argue the same points over and over again, as regards SF's stance on the EU (a stance which is BS as well), just like all the regulars here get weary of the regularly-occurring threads.

I'm not a fan of her, btw, in case that looks like I'm defending her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

She's probably overworked - she appears on everything, but I suppose she is at the centre of attention right now for the last seat in her constituency. I'd say promoting a few others to do some of the interview / debate stuff might help. But who else have they?

• Advertisement

She was in the paper today wearing an auld skirt and long sleeve jacket. In this weather! The cowld aul bitch!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

I saw an interesting comment yesterday (in the Times, I think) which said that Mary Lou has quietened down so that she keeps as many transfer options open as possible. She didn't want to p!ss people off! Makes sense, but I'm not sure how much it will help her. She'll get the transfers she would have got anyway, I think, but not much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

What's happened to her? She used to be the SF flagship (in terms of intellect and brand value).

She had a kid, they can drain the energy and life out of even the best of us! All worth it in the end but you suddenly are turning up to work extremely tired a lot more often in the early years. :)

Mary Lou, sweet Mary Lou...would you though?

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭bit of a bogey

I understand the reasons why people might dislike SF but I genuinely believe they are a good vote in Europe. Mary Lou will fight with commitment for what she believes is right for Ireland in Europe. She will represent what is best for the Irish people and she will not sell out her principals to keep Europe happy. Unlike Fianna Fail in recent years!

WE ARE NOT IN EUROPE FOR EUROPE SAKE. We are in Europe to strengthen Irelands opportunities just like every other country is in it for their own. And in turn, we are in Europe to strengthen Europe's hand on the global market and to create an equal global society.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ionix5891

I understand the reasons why people might dislike SF but I genuinely believe they are a good vote in Europe. Mary Lou will fight with commitment for what she believes is right for Ireland in Europe. She will represent what is best for the Irish people and she will not sell out her principals to keep Europe happy. Unlike Fianna Fail in recent years!

WE ARE NOT IN EUROPE FOR EUROPE SAKE. We are in Europe to strengthen Irelands opportunities just like every other country is in it for their own. And in turn, we are in Europe to strengthen Europe's hand on the global market and to create an equal global society.

YOU DO KNOW that SF's aim is to pull us out of Europe :confused:

ionix5891 wrote: »
    YOU DO KNOW that SF's aim is to pull us out of Europe :confused:

I think you might be the one confused? There is no agenda set by SF to pull out of Europe. I think you are referring to fable statements made by FF and FG who are trying to the prevent growth of SF

Do not confuse SF with Libertas policies!

I think you might be the one confused? There is no agenda set by SF to pull out of Europe. I think you are referring to fable statements made by FF and FG who are trying to the prevent growth of SF

Do not confuse SF with Libertas policies!

so SF where not against every single EU treaty and referendum?

including the one about joining the EU :rolleyes:

please no need to rewrite history to suit yourself, their actions speak louder than words

as for libertas they are a far right looney group on opposite spectrum from SF, tho seems they have a lot in common lately, and either would do great harm to his country

as for FF and FG you keep bringing up, i couldn't give a rats arse about them :cool:

the whole "but look X screwed up really bad, vote for us!" trick being used by SF and Libertas is getting rather old by this stage

Again I will re-state that you seem confused. Being anti-Lisbon does not make you anti-EU. SF believe that the current version of Lisbon treaty is undemocratic and not in Irelands best interests. They do support negotiation of a new treaty which reflects the concerns of the Irish people. It is my opinion that the Lisbon Treaty will make Europe stronger but is was the Irish people who voted no and their concerns must be addressed. It is fact that because Ireland voted no, that the Lisbon Treaty will need to be changed to address these issues. These changes will make Ireland stronger in Europe compared to what the France’s and Germany’s wanted.

I am not saying a good vote is a vote for SF because "X screwed up really bad" What I'm saying is that SF will stand up for the Irish people in Europe and will not be blown over by the other EU countries. They are not intending to enter Europe to keep other EU countries happy unlike some of the other parties mentioned! Remember the Nice Treaty when we were assured by FF that that is was not possible for Ireland to commit to “Partnership for Peace” without the yes vote in a referendum. Yet two years later, the Treaty was altered so a referendum was not required. After the Irish people saying no, FF proceeded with it to keep the rest of Europe happy! This is the sort of behaviour that I am talking about!

SF openly admits that joining the EU was a great thing and can continue to be a great thing for Ireland. They are not anti-Europe!

Again I will re-state that you seem confused. Being anti-Lisbon does not make you anti-EU. SF believe that the current version of Lisbon treaty is undemocratic and not in Irelands best interests. They do support negotiation of a new treaty which reflects the concerns of the Irish people. It is my opinion that the Lisbon Treaty will make Europe stronger but is was the Irish people who voted no and their concerns must be addressed. It is fact that because Ireland voted no, that the Lisbon Treaty will need to be changed to address these issues. These changes will make Ireland stronger in Europe compared to what the France’s and Germany’s wanted.

I am not saying a good vote is a vote for SF because "X screwed up really bad" What I'm saying is that SF will stand up for the Irish people in Europe and will not be blown over by the other EU countries. They are not intending to enter Europe to keep other EU countries happy unlike some of the other parties mentioned! Remember the Nice Treaty when we were assured by FF that that is was not possible for Ireland to commit to “Partnership for Peace” without the yes vote in a referendum. Yet two years later, the Treaty was altered so a referendum was not required. After the Irish people saying no, FF proceeded with it to keep the rest of Europe happy! This is the sort of behaviour that I am talking about!

SF openly admits that joining the EU was a great thing and can continue to be a great thing for Ireland. They are not anti-Europe!

they said that about every single treaty and referendum on EU, yet they where against them all!

INCLUDING THE ONE TO JOIN IT IN FIRST PLACE

aghhh, its like banging head against wall

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Definately!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

ionix5891 wrote: »
    they said that about every single treaty and referendum on EU, yet they where against them all!

INCLUDING THE ONE TO JOIN IT IN FIRST PLACE

aghhh, its like banging head against wall

Well, yes, it's Sinn Fein.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

She's an attractive woman, I'll give her that.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

She's an attractive woman, I'll give her that.

I wouldn't touch her with yours mate, but this is off-topic and the thread should get back to electoral issues not what people's opinion of her looks are.

nesf wrote: »
    I wouldn't touch her with yours mate, but this is off-topic and the thread should get back to electoral issues not what people's opinion of her looks are.

She has a dirty auld look on her alright. The thick black curly hair between her legs does no favours either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Every time I see Mary Lou interviewed on TV she is outmanoeuvred by her political opponents, Yes she shouts more, Yes she uses catchy phrases, Yes she has balls, Yes she has a brass neck too, but she always across as lacking in any real content or depth, spouting off the usual hollow soundbites that just don't wash when held up to scrutiny, and as usual she still keeps stating the bleedin obvious! 'Let me be perfectly clear about this', 'We need politicians we can trust', 'The Irish people will decide who sits in Brussels', 'We need transparency & accountability' > Such bloody obvious stuff, but no substance whatsoever!

I'm not a natural Fianna Fail voter, but I'd vote for Eoin Ryan any day to represent us ahead of Mary Lou > she's so vacuous that she's embarrassing to listen to.

Nice face though :rolleyes:

Camelot wrote: »
    Every time I see Mary Lou interviewed on TV she is outmanoeuvred by her political opponents, Yes she shouts more, Yes she uses catchy phrases, Yes she has balls, Yes she has a brass neck too, but she always across as lacking in any real content or depth, spouting off the usual hollow soundbites that just don't wash when held up to scrutiny, and as usual she still keeps stating the bleedin obvious! 'Let me be perfectly clear about this', 'We need politicians we can trust', 'The Irish people will decide who sits in Brussels', 'We need transparency & accountability' > Such bloody obvious stuff, but no substance whatsoever!

I'm not a natural Fianna Fail voter, but I'd vote for Eoin Ryan any day to represent us ahead of Mary Lou > she's so vacuous that she's embarrassing to listen to.

Nice face though :rolleyes:

Her face might be seen as attractive or dung-ridden. Which is it? Even with the make-up she makes a mockery of this country and should not even stand in the election. A shambles. A shambles for all to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭holidayhere

Of all the Sinn Fein crew, she is the only one I could warm to.
    I think she is ok.
    Its no harm to have a few not FF / FG in the frame.

Of all the Sinn Fein crew, she is the only one I could warm to.
    I think she is ok.
    Its no harm to have a few not FF / FG in the frame.

As the saying goes -

"A finger went up...
    ...up Mary Loe"

Her policies are made from Gerry Adams and the crew of dog citric on the Fall's Road. She does not know Europe. Her fanny couldn't count to ten if you put her on the spot. Pádraig MacLochlainn is a warm man. You could snuggle up to him on a warm Summer's night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Leaderbored

Her fanny couldn't count to ten if you put her on the spot.

I wish I'd known that this was a prerequisite for standing for office, I woulda had a whole new line of questioning prepared for the canvassers that came to the door last week.

In answer to the earlier question :
    would you though?

The answer is 'probably'. Im not known to be fussy.

However if the question were to be phrased as :
    would you vote for her though?

The answer would be a resounding 'No, Not even if she slipped me a tenner outside the polling station'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Too busy out training in the woods at night ;)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

i doubt i'd give her the steam off my piss tbh

Advertisement