Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hacked/Keylogged

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

What I do whenever I have to input passwords for anything on a computer I don't entirely trust, is enter the passwords into a notepad document on my home PC, and then throw the .txt on my USB drive. Then when you want to play wow/check email/whatever on the "dodgy" network, just copy and paste the password.

Keylogging software will only see this as "Ctrl+V" when you paste and it wont intercept all the characters.

On another note, just because torrent ports are not blocked it doesnt mean WOW isn't. Though i guess the demand in any college dorm for WOW access would be too much for I.T. to ignore!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

WellyJ wrote: »
    Keylogging software will only see this as "Ctrl+V" when you paste and it wont intercept all the characters.
    That's a misnomer and assumes that they only thing the keylogger is watching is actual keys pressed. It's incredibly simple to create a program that keeps track of the clipboard (i.e. where stuff is temporarily kept when you 'copy' it), in fact there's even freeware that does it. A smart keylogger, once it sees CTRL+V, will just check the clipboard to see what exactly you are pasting.

Plus, there's the obvious problem that you are carrying around your passwords on an unencrypted USB key...

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭smithcity

Yeah good point, I usually do that with credit card numbers and such.

I've never seen anyone in the college canteen (the main place for people to download) playing WoW, so that either means that nobody is into it, or that it's blocked.

I'm in A.I.T and I don't think it's cos midlanders are too cool to play WoW, because I've literally seen a group of people regularly play Yu-Gi-Oh card game in the canteen, in front of everyone! Right where we can see them! Without a hint of irony or self consciouseness!

I don't know whether to respect or pity them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Be warned everybody, there's a large bout of account hackings going around. Seems there was a keylogger planted on World of Raids which is injected by a script on the site. Presumed to be the blue tracker.

It's possible other sites with similar blue trackers were compromised too. Or potentially even wowhead.

Be aware people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

http://eu.blizzard.com/store/details.xml?id=221003132

^^ Honestly, it's brilliant and well worth the money.
    At the very least though, if you have an iphone then get the free Blizzard iPhone Authenticator app (and the new very nice armoury app also).

It's also available for other phones now too http://mobile.blizzard.com/ie-en/t401-c12902/applications-battle-net-mobile-authenticator

Even if you were keylogged, it wouldn't matter as they'd still need your authenticator to get into the account.

Not 100% foolproof for sure but, probably the best security you're going to get.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

yup, picked an authenticator up for my nokia n95 for 50c :) works great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

Ivan wrote: »
    Be warned everybody, there's a large bout of account hackings going around. Seems there was a keylogger planted on World of Raids which is injected by a script on the site. Presumed to be the blue tracker.

It's possible other sites with similar blue trackers were compromised too. Or potentially even wowhead.

Be aware people.

4 of my guildies got this virus and it apparently hacked more than just wow, it hacked 2 of their e-mails and 1 of the guys steam accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Gumble01

Ivan wrote: »

Be aware people.

Saw this on the site yesterday, was on the site on sunday went to load the page and firefox crashed, reinstalled windows straight away and changed all passwords.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

hmm firefox crashed for me too, so far all antivirus' scans are negative...

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Gumble01

Firefox has never crashed on me before seemed a bit weird, also read on wor site in the comments on monday morning firefox kept crashing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭smithcity

switch to chrome as an alt for a while

Advertisement