Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Siptu Unions urge a vote to the left avoid Fine Gael

Options
  • 03-06-2009 7:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/do-not-vote-for-fine-gael-urges-siptu-93274.html#ixzz0HJtkA7RW&B

Are we seeing the unions return to power and finally stand up for workers or is it not time that the unions stop propping up the labour party who seem to be doing nothing but adding there small talk after the discussion has ended!

For example we all know fine gaels solution on the banks and small business and mortage situation but we have not head labours! We know the Enda kenny will re vist the religious order deal if he gets into office(although there is not a chance this will actually happen) but we dont know labours!

"The larger the vote for Fine Gael in the elections on Friday the stronger the mandate that party will claim to drive down wages if returned to power. Only by voting for Labour and then for other candidates on the left can this threat be curbed"

Fine Gael has been accused of being more of the same but then again are they or are they only offering what the people want!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭rcecil

Don't forget, Labour crossed the Dail picket line. Only Sinn Fein TDs stood up for workers....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

This is one of the biggest "lies" of this whole campaign. We are voting for councils who are basically toothless beyond the odd planning controversy. We are choosing a total of 12 MEPs , most of whom we seem to like anyway and it's just down to 2-3 seats out of the 12. There is no conferred power on any party. FG will most likely be the biggest party in local government but that's as far as it goes in bragging rights. We'll have speeches galore and copious media analysis to explain all party performances and what it means after the elections. Not a lot IMO.

TBH the O'Connor comment really proves nothing beyond the depth to which all participants in the various elections will stoop to get votes. Meanwhile, and the one thing Cowen is right about, for now the government will carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭lmtduffy

http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/do-not-vote-for-fine-gael-urges-siptu-93274.html#ixzz0HJtkA7RW&B

Are we seeing the unions return to power and finally stand up for workers or is it not time that the unions stop propping up the labour party who seem to be doing nothing but adding there small talk after the discussion has ended!

For example we all know fine gaels solution on the banks and small business and mortage situation but we have not head labours! We know the Enda kenny will re vist the religious order deal if he gets into office(although there is not a chance this will actually happen) but we dont know labours!

"The larger the vote for Fine Gael in the elections on Friday the stronger the mandate that party will claim to drive down wages if returned to power. Only by voting for Labour and then for other candidates on the left can this threat be curbed"

Fine Gael has been accused of being more of the same but then again are they or are they only offering what the people want!

labour want more info on how they came to the deal with the religious orders
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0528/breaking41.htm

labour on banks
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0510/breaking35.htm

If you dont look you wont find it...

How do you differentiate between labours and Fine Gaels ability to influence the government?

There bot in opposition and are both stuck outside the discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 capsubsidy.com

Are we seeing the unions return to power
    I don't know where you've been but the unions in cahoots with Bertie have been running the country (into the ground) for the past 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I don't know where you've been but the unions in cahoots with Bertie have been running the country (into the ground) for the past 10 years.

The unions in cahoots with Fianna Failure! Oh you mean the partnership talks! You must not have been there for the union vote! You know, the ones where we all approved it. I suggest you write them a letter!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Its the governments love affair with the Unions that were partly in this mess - high Civil Service costs and high wagers everywhere. Totally uncompetitive.

The Unions cant see that getting higher wagers is simply not fully in their members best interests. Case in point: Dell.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

turgon wrote: »
    Its the governments love affair with the Unions that were partly in this mess - high Civil Service costs and high wagers everywhere. Totally uncompetitive.

The Unions cant see that getting higher wagers is simply not fully in their members best interests. Case in point: Dell.

As there members that! your case in point, dell fcuked off cause there grants ran out. The were here to screw us and we would have to be working for pittence to please them but again I cannot see why you as well refere to the govt love affair with unions

Its the unions that hang the labour flag from liberty hall every election and then take my money after supporting them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 capsubsidy.com

dell fcuked off cause there grants ran out. The were here to screw us and we would have to be working for pittence to please them
    You do you should probably ease off the Joe Higgins Kool Aid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

The Unions have shown a complete disregard for the greater good. Social Partnership was a great process, only if it worked both ways. The second that reductions in pay was mentioned the unions stormed out of the partnership talks. They are completly unwilling to give anything and only want to take.

I dont trust Unions, I consider them a necessary evil. But if they are saying not to vote for FG, I would probable vote for FG out of spite!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

solice wrote: »
    The Unions have shown a complete disregard for the greater good. Social Partnership was a great process, only if it worked both ways. The second that reductions in pay was mentioned the unions stormed out of the partnership talks. They are completly unwilling to give anything and only want to take.

I dont trust Unions, I consider them a necessary evil. But if they are saying not to vote for FG, I would probable vote for FG out of spite!

unions are thee biggest obstacle to the nations recovery , unions and fianna fail obedience towards them , fine gael need to do like thatcher in the last seventies and come out and brand them as public enemy number one , the irish times , rte , every political forum and other liberal media outlets will go nuts but the real people of ireland will reward them ( fine gael ) at the ballot box

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭Hillel

The Unions have shown a complete disregard for the greater good. Social Partnership was a great process, only if it worked both ways.

I believe that Unions are a necessary counterweight to the inevitable excesses of unconstrained capitalism. However, public sector unions have, in my opinion, been unpatriotic in their response to the current crisis. My vote will go to a party that supports a real reduction in public sector pay, in line with what is happening in Industry generally. Without such an adjustment the country as a whole will pay for the excessive remuneration of the few!

Hillel wrote: »
    I believe that Unions are a necessary counterweight to the inevitable excesses of unconstrained capitalism. However, public sector unions have, in my opinion, been unpatriotic in their response to the current crisis. My vote will go to a party that supports a real reduction in public sector pay, in line with what is happening in Industry generally. Without such an adjustment the country as a whole will pay for the excessive remuneration of the few!

for those aims to be met , the only party which one could seriously vote for is fine gael

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭Hillel

irish_bob wrote: »
    for those aims to be met , the only party which one could seriously vote for is fine gael
    Yeah, but remember the infamous "Spring Tide"? Would Enda actually deliver, if in power? Taking on the public sector unions is not easy.
    Still, as you say, there isn't much choice here. :)

Hillel wrote: »
    Yeah, but remember the infamous "Spring Tide"? Would Enda actually deliver, if in power? Taking on the public sector unions is not easy.
    Still, as you say, there isn't much choice here. :)

enda kenny is the one thing blocking fine gael from a landslide , most swing voters want to vote fine gael but the kenny factor is making them think twice , i dont believe richard bruton is leadership material either btw , its such a pity ivan yates left politics to become a bookie , he has the charisma and personable style that is needed to lead a party while also being a right winger on economic matters

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭johnnyc

Have to agree with solice on this one... The social partnership process is a dead duck when the union objecting to a paycut to be aligned with the same sector in the private sector. The goverment shouldnt be negotiation with the unions in my opinion....the greatest obstacle to a proper health service is the unions

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Unions desire to keep wages inflated is a problem in the current climate. They do however from my experience inform employees of laws they wouldn't be otherwise aware of and their employer would be more than happy to circumvent.

They have bad and good sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

irish_bob wrote: »
    i dont believe richard bruton is leadership material either btw
    I'm sure he doesn't want to be leader, seeing as that the Finance post is tailor-made for him. I would have a lot more faith in him to balance the books than i would in Brian Lenihan.

Advertisement