Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are the newly arrived Irish finding work?

Options
  • 03-06-2009 8:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hello all,

I’m doing a bit of research project about the fortunes of the Irish coming to Australia. In particular, Irish people who have come in the last six to nine months.

Although, accurate data is very hard to come by there is ample evidence to suggest a significant increase in the number of Irish people taking out the WHV. Presumably, this is a direct result of the deteriorating job market in Ireland. I’m still trying to get official figures and when/ if I succeed will post them here. If anyone can point me in the right direction please do so.

In the meantime, I though it might be interesting to create a thread where people could report on how their search for work is going. Some anecdotal evidence, to give people a flavour of how things have changed (or not) down here in the last six months or so.

I have noticed that there is a pretty significant increase in the numbers of Irish arriving in Perth and it would be interesting to know how they are faring- with the anonymity that the boards affords posters!

Anyway, if anyone feels like telling their story fire at will.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Feb to about late April was tragic for work in Sydney, barely anyone I knew had work. Most people are working again, I think alot of congestion was relieved by people either going elsewhere or going home, serious amounts of people came here with too little money expecting to walk into a job and, being Irish, went on a fortnight long bender and blew most of their cash and found themselves heading home broke.

I wouldnt advise anyone to come here just yet, but it is certainly looking better at the minute. Unemployment even declined in Oz last month, how many western countries can say that? They seriously overhype their own "recession" (which, as they discovered today, and which Ive known full well for weeks, isnt actually a recession. Economy is still growing, albeit slowly)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Regulator79

shane86 wrote: »
    Feb to about late April was tragic for work in Sydney, barely anyone I knew had work. Most people are working again, I think alot of congestion was relieved by people either going elsewhere or going home, serious amounts of people came here with too little money expecting to walk into a job and, being Irish, went on a fortnight long bender and blew most of their cash and found themselves heading home broke.

I wouldnt advise anyone to come here just yet, but it is certainly looking better at the minute. Unemployment even declined in Oz last month, how many western countries can say that? They seriously overhype their own "recession" (which, as they discovered today, and which Ive known full well for weeks, isnt actually a recession. Economy is still growing, albeit slowly)

Agreed on the hype Shane, but the unemployment rate is only going in one direction. Last months figures were rogue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

The Australian economy has unexpectedly avoided falling into recession after its economy grew by 0.4% in the first three months of 2009.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8080446.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Regulator79

CiaranC wrote: »

Thats if you accept the "two consecutive quarters of negative growth" definition, which is problematic to say the least.

In any event, on the best metric, employment levels, everyone agrees that we are set for significant rises throughout 2009-2010.

We are only at the start of this thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭PhiliousPhogg

A lot of speculation that the government stimulus packages have worked a miracle.

As far as WHVs are concerned, unless they have a plan in place, they're going to end up in the big cities in hostels and backpacker houses. If you look at the graph below, the business services sector has been hard hit, which is concentrated in CBD areas. I know that any kind of office work has completely dried up from being in high demand last year. And all support services like catering etc have likewise been hit.

Selected Industries Contribution to growth, Mar 08 to Mar 09: Trend
    0.17CA!OpenElement&FieldElemFormat=gif

• Advertisement
Advertisement