Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blistering heels...any remedy?

Options
  • 03-06-2009 9:20am

Wife bought Columbia walking boots last weekend. She tried them on in the shop and thought they were fine. She wore them twice since, and while they are comfortable, she has suffered from some blistering around her heels. She may have worn thinner socks than she used in the shop, but thick socks not really an option in this weather.

So what does she do now? Should she put in insoles to reduce the movement of the foot? Or will an ankle support stop the chafing? Or one of those grips that stick to the inside of the back of the boot (though these usually just seem to peel off) Or tape up her heels in bandages? Or should she do some combination of the foregoing? both? Or dump the boots and buy a half size smaller?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭IPNA

Hi Conor,

Yeah, blisters really make it difficult to enjoy the outdoors. New boots are usually a cause for blisters. Luckily, there are some options for your wife.

First, she can try breaking in the shoes using thicker socks her feet if she still feels comfortable in them. She can minimise the chaffing by putting a piece of duct tape or sports tape on her heel where the rubbing takes place. Make sure that there are no ridges or bumps once the tape is put on. It should be smooth.

Second, I have had some luck with wearing new boots into the shower then wearing them for a while walking around the cabin until they are dry. If at any time a hot spot or blister starts, I take them off.
    This method quickly conforms the boot to the individual shape of each foot.

Third, is an option that also works well. She can take them out hiking again but put moleskin around the blister so it doesn't rub.
    Cut a donut ring from the moleskin material. Make sure the ring completely circles the blister without actually touching it. Then cut another moleskin ring the same shape as the last one, but this time make it just slightly smaller. Put this ring on the first one.
    Cut a third moleskin donut ring this time just a little smaller than the second. Put this one on top of the second ring.
    This technique creates a dome shape made from moleskin that will partially cover the blister and keep all of the pressure from the boot off of the blister.

These three options have helped me make it through Special Forces training. I hope it helps with your wife's blisters as well.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Duck(duct? sp?) tape
    put duck tape on your heel before you blister, then when you're done take it off. The outside of your heel is much softer than the outside of ducktape.

The boots should break in a bit and the problem goes away. This usually happens to me with all new shoes/runners/boots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 redelephant

I have a recurring problem with blisters on my heels despite trying 3 different pairs of boots and various types of socks. The best remedy i have come up with is to put chiropody felt (think its the same thing as moleskin) over my heels before I go out hiking, I get sheets of it in Boots and cut to size, this usually prevents a blister forming. I have found compeed blister plasters really good when I do get a blister. I've tried the boots own brand blister plasters and scholls one but not found them as good.

Thanks for all the pointers.

Far cheaper than dumping the boots option anyway. Will try the duct tape and thicker socks one first and resort to moleskin/chiropody felt if that doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

ya, blisters are caused by friction as far as i know. i used to get them on really long hikes (several days) until i got green superfeet insoles. they have a narowing bit for the heel which reduces slip and slide inside the boot. other options are apply meths to the areas of the feet that get brutalised. this toughens the skin. worked fine for my girlfriend on a small spot of her thumb that would blister badly when kayaking. she only applied it a few times and hasn't blistered since.
    all other options above are also great ones, so loads of options to choose from.
    good luck and good hiking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

I was up Lug on Monday in a pair of boots I've had for 6 months and probably walked about 300km in but still got bloody blisters! I think mine were as a result of a wardrobe malfunction :eek: in other words my sock were sh1te and I should've had thicker/more socks. The boots have never caused me problems before (even when new) so moral of the story is WEAR DECENT SOCKS!

H

If your boots are still giving you trouble after 300k, there are still some options that don't include buying another boot.....

Don't laugh....but...In Special Forces, I would wear two pairs of socks. The first pair next to my feet here super thin. They were almost like nylons. I would make sure that they were a tight fit. Then I would wear thick woolen blends over top. This would keep my feet dry and minimise rubbing.

It works!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 murphious

IPNA wrote: »
    If your boots are still giving you trouble after 300k, there are still some options that don't include buying another boot.....

Don't laugh....but...In Special Forces, I would wear two pairs of socks. The first pair next to my feet here super thin. They were almost like nylons. I would make sure that they were a tight fit. Then I would wear thick woolen blends over top. This would keep my feet dry and minimise rubbing.

It works!

I do the exact same thing any time im gonna do any sort of hiking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Craigsy

Slap a compeed plaster over the area that blisters and you'll be fine. Or if you wanna go down the cheap, military route, slap some duct tape on it. Its quick, cheap and effective

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Noangel72

....too large!.....as IPNA said try a combination of 2 socks, if that doesn't work get some heel lifters, they will reduce movement, also tong spacers will help......otherwise just change your boots!.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭cheapskate

Hi,

DO NOT USE METHS on your feet, Yes they will make your feet hard and very sore when they crack, I was advised to do this 10years ago when I took up Karate - Big mistake!
    If I could find him now I'd machine gun kick him to the head!!! (if i could reach)
    I had to use baby lotion on my feet for months to get them back to normal.

IPNA, I am impressed (special forces) How's Jack Bauer?

CS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Craigsy

cheapskate wrote: »
    IPNA, I am impressed (special forces) How's Jack Bauer?

CS

+1

If you're wearing properly fitting boots and a good pair of socks you shouldn't get blisters

cheapskate wrote: »
    How's Jack Bauer?

CS

He would have washed out during the first week of selection!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭cheapskate

OOH RAH!

You in the Army Ranger wing? (were in it?)

or the Aren't Ready for Marines Yet Lol. (Sorry, no disrespect man Phew!)

CS

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

If she can she could go to Great Outdoors and get the boots fitted properly.

Advertisement