Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On your TFN form.......

Options
  • 03-06-2009 9:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭

When it asks are you an Australian resident for tax purposes, do you answer yes or no? (WHV people Im asking)

Oddly it doesnt seem to be clear cut, I put down yes oin mine, then HR got onto me and are asking me to clarify it. I did the survey online and it came up with yes, but it seemed to be nearly more based on my own opinion of my status! (typically Australian disorganised etc etc Im well used to it by now)

What do the rest of yis go for? Just want to be sure Im eligible for a near on full tax refund like everyone else come July.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

If you are on a WHV Yes you are an Australian resident for tax purposes. AFAIK all it means is that you pay the same amount of tax as an Australian resident.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

If you are on a WHV Yes you are an Australian resident for tax purposes. AFAIK all it means is that you pay the same amount of tax as an Australian resident.

not 100% true

you are a ARfTP if you have been in Oz > 6months and working in the one job for most of that time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

But I get virtually all of it back, no?

hussey wrote: »
    not 100% true

you are a ARfTP if you have been in Oz > 6months and working in the one job for most of that time

Never knew this.
    shane86 wrote: »

Thats way too complicated for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Virtually??? HAHAHA

• Advertisement

Virtually all - no

what yo do get back is a tax free allowance of 6k
    and a tax bracket of 15% for 6001-34000k

what this means in money terms
    e.g. you earn 40k over the year

as a backpacker you
    will be taxed
    29% 0-34000 = 9,860
    30% 34001-40000 = 1,800
    total tax for a non resident = 11,660

resident for tax
    0-6k = 0
    15% of 6001-34000 = 4,200
    30% of 34001 - 4000 = 1,800
    total tax = 6,000

difference = 5,600

plug in your values of how you earned above and it will tell you what you will get back etc

I'd like to say hussey seems far more knowledgeable on this than me, so please take his/her advice rather than mine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Just try and convince yer employer ta stick cash in the aul Paw instead, job sorted, none of this fiddlin about with forms.

kinda reminded of that skit from father ted about tom withdrawin his money from the Post Office

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Daithio

When it asks are you an Australian resident for tax purposes, do you answer yes or no? (WHV people Im asking)

Oddly it doesnt seem to be clear cut, I put down yes oin mine, then HR got onto me and are asking me to clarify it. I did the survey online and it came up with yes, but it seemed to be nearly more based on my own opinion of my status! (typically Australian disorganised etc etc Im well used to it by now)

What do the rest of yis go for? Just want to be sure Im eligible for a near on full tax refund like everyone else come July.

Are you from Ireland? Things in general run WAAAAYYYY more smoothly out here in Aus IMO.

^^^
    100% agree, the tax system here is very efficient, Most taz returns can be done online and money in the account within two weeks

• Advertisement
Advertisement