Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Seating layout in NCH

• 03-06-2009 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hello,

Can anyone please tell me if the stalls seats in the NCH are tiered? I am trying to decide whether first / second row in the yellow balcony will give me better view than being in the middle of the stalls.

Thanks,
    sth

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Doshea3

The stalls are all flat until about row L when they begin to slope up a little. The best seats in the stalls are in the centre of row S. They are usually about the same price as the yellow balcony. Front of yellow balcony is grand I recall (though the back won't give you too much of a view), though these are often reserved for VIPs.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 sth

Thanks for your prompt advice. I am glad I asked as I was about to purchase seats in row F. I will go for S now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Doshea3

You're welcome!:)

I feel like I'm slowly becoming the Classical Forum oracle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

''Becoming'' ?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Clinker

Doshea3 wrote: »
    The stalls are all flat until about row L when they begin to slope up a little. The best seats in the stalls are in the centre of row S.

I prefer not to be so close to the balcony: I find the sound is best in the centre of M to P: sloping, but well forward of the balcony.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

I personally prefer the side balcony (forget what colour it is) to the middle of the stalls, as I believe that being able to see the players adds to the enjoyment, and the sound is more or less the same everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Clinker

I personally prefer the side balcony (forget what colour it is) to the middle of the stalls, as I believe that being able to see the players adds to the enjoyment, and the sound is more or less the same everywhere.

I completely disagree: I have sat there and I find it gives a weird perspective to the sound which I don't like at all. It is nice to have a clearer view of the players, but the NCH is such a small hall that you are very close to the players in the stalls: admittedly the strings are in the way of the winds and percussion, so you can't see them so well!

I was at Mahler 2 in the Salle Pleyel in Paris, which is a really vast hall, a few months ago and it was an utterly different experience from the Mahler 2 in the NCH in May. The Salle Pleyel was great for the sense of vastness, of dying, time coming to an end and being resurrected, but the NCH gave it great impact and directness.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭tatoo

Anyone recommend the choir balcony ?
    What's it like soundwise ?
    The sit anywhere aspect of it appeals to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Dirigent

tatoo wrote: »
    Anyone recommend the choir balcony ?
    What's it like soundwise ?
    The sit anywhere aspect of it appeals to me.

It's OK for an orchestral performance, but any soloists (particularly singers) will be all but inaudible. And the seats are bloody hard and vertically upright!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭tatoo

Thanks for that,
    I'm hoping to get to Horslips with the NCH orchestra at the end of August so I'd reckon the sound there should be spot-on so,
    no problem putting up with hard seats as ling as they're not too low - I've bulging discs unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭horslips

I'm not sure if they would work for Horslips and the NCH Orch. but I find the last two rows have excellent sound for orchestras. They are only partial rows because the sound box is in the middle but I think the sound is amazing in there. A few colleagues I have spoken to agree with me. Can be cheaper as well on some occasions.

For Horslips, I have gone for row P or thereabouts on the first night and front row (directly in front of where Johnny should be standing, by my guess) on the second night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 MaurMaurMaur

Clinker wrote: »
    I prefer not to be so close to the balcony: I find the sound is best in the centre of M to P: sloping, but well forward of the balcony.

Just from experience the sound is best on the front and centre for just about everything. Yes, I am full on. :rolleyes:

Advertisement