Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Battery Life

• 03-06-2009 10:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭

I'm a beginner and bought a Fuji S8000fd a few months ago. I'm happy with the camera, but I seem to be changing the 4 AA batteries at a very regular rate.

I could not give an accurate calculation of how long the batteries last, because I'm a fairly infrequent user, but the camera seems to drain the life out of them fairly quickly. Is this normal?

I'm guessing rechargeable batteries is the way to go.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I find that Fuji do eat batteries, my nephew uses alot of them. Buy some HI grade rechargable batteries, there a bit expensive but worth it long term

Fujifilm publishes CIPA figures for both alkaline and NiMH batteries. Single-use alkalines deliver about 350 images whether you use the LCD or the EVF. With rechargeable NiMHs, that number goes up to 500 images, although NiMHs do vary in capacity.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

One of the big power draw on any camera is the LCD Screen. The more you use it to compose or review images the quicker you will drain batteries. Other items like Image Stablisation & motorised zooms will also help deplete power (anything with a motor)

NiMH AA Batteries will save you money in the long run, but they also self discharge when stored. So if you are an infrequent user you will have to remember to charge the batteries prior to using it. You can pick up charger/battery sets quite cheap & they may be a good idea & have a set of Alkalines on standby.

It's also not a good idea to keep batteries in the camera if you are storing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Rechargeable are an absolute necessity for pretty much any modern camera. Ensure they have plenty of power rating - something like 2200mAh or 2500mAh will last sooooooo much longer than alkaline equivalents. Others have had luck with non branded batteries off eBay but the only type that i've been happy with are branded batteries - i've had both.

Stick a few NiMh rechargeables into it and you'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

I used to hve the SD6500fd (I think that's the one, anyway) and I have to agree with the two before me and advise you to get some really good NIMH batteries.

As far as I remember, you had to charge them overnight - they weren't like a mobile - they took ages to fully charge. But were well worth it. Saved me a fortune overall, I reckon.

CabanSail wrote: »
    One of the big power draw on any camera is the LCD Screen. The more you use it to compose or review images the quicker you will drain batteries. Other items like Image Stablisation & motorised zooms will also help deplete power (anything with a motor)

Very true, my Bridge camera drains the batteries because im constantly zooming in and out, plus I try to use the EVF as much as possible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,508 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Two things to look out for.....

1. Occasionally you will get a dud battery which drags down the rest of the set and you get far less usage out of a single charge than you'd like. Charge up the batteries and then use a multimeter to check the voltage, if one of the batteries shows a significantly lower voltage than the rest then you have a dud.

2. Always use and charge the same 4 batteries together, never split them up cause if you do then some will end up having less capacity than the others and they will drag the whole bunch down.

I get a friend in the US to buy me Lenmar 2700s, they are the bees knees and I use them all the time in a handheld GPS and a compact Samsung camera. They have great capacity. I believe ALDI also sell Ni-Mh AA batteries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭Cole

Thanks for the advice...very quick responses. You're a very efficient bunch on this forum:)

And if laptops are a guide then it's the LCD display that consumes most of the juice. If the battery level is getting low then it's time to disable the LCD display and use the optical viewfinder if there is one, otherwise have the spare set of AAs ready and as a previous poster pointed out, best to always have a set of Alkalines (Duracell) on standby, they have a very long shelf life and can be used in emergencies but they're useless for indoor snaps as they take ages to charge up the flash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 lady.in.red

thanks for the tip on laptop batteries, my battery barely last a half hour unplugged and wrecks my head,Cheers

thanks for the tip on laptop batteries, my battery barely last a half hour unplugged and wrecks my head,Cheers

A bit off topic....
    As regards your laptop, try turning down the brightness when its unplugged

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

coylemj wrote: »
    I believe ALDI also sell Ni-Mh AA batteries.

I swear by Aldi NiMh Rechargables from a value and usage viewpoint

Pack of 4 AA 2300mAh are €4.79

Check if your laptop has different power profiles for plugged & unplugged. If running on batteries you may need to manually switch to a different power profile which will (1) dim the display (2) shorten the idle timout period for when the disk stops spinnning and the display is blanked and (3) puts the processor into power saving mode.

Laptops don't do this automatically because there are times when you want to run at full tilt even on the battery e.g. when giving a presentation so if you want to maximize the time you get on the battery, see if there's a power saving power profile that you can switch to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 lady.in.red

sound advice folks, cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I use two sets of Uniross 2700mAh batteries with my Pentax K100D. I get about 400-450 shots from it before they have to be changed. That's using it a few times a week, reviewing and deleting images via the screen and occasional flash use too. If I use alkaline batteries they run out very very quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I use two sets of Uniross 2700mAh batteries with my Pentax K100D. I get about 400-450 shots from it before they have to be changed. That's using it a few times a week, reviewing and deleting images via the screen and occasional flash use too. If I use alkaline batteries they run out very very quickly.

ya i use uniross too 2800mAh. they are very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

I've just ordered some for my SB-600 from here ....€14 inc delivery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Excellent stuff. They really do surprise me still as to how many shots I can take before I need to pop in the other set.

Advertisement