Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland amongst worst in EU for biker safety

• 03-06-2009 10:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭

From the Irish Times
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/motors/2009/0603/1224247933805.html

A NEW road safety campaign aimed at motorcyclists is to be launched later this month following the release of figures which show the Republic is among the worst countries in Europe for the percentage of bikers killed each year.

The figures, from the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), show Ireland second only to Slovenia in a group of 20 European counties. Road deaths among bikers here account for more than 14 per cent of all road fatalities, while motorbikes account for less than two per cent of all registered vehicles.

The campaign comes as provisional Garda figures reveal 32 people were killed in road crashes generally in May, compared to 19 in May 2008 – making it the worst May since 2005, which was a nine-year high.

The Road Safety Authority (RSA), which is to run the campaign, said the trend in motorbike deaths had been declining, but in recent years had started to rise again.

The campaign will state that learner drivers should wear a high visibility jacket, with a prominent “L”. It will feature warnings to “fair-weather” bikers, whose occasional forays in summer are accepted as a factor in summers being the worst time for motorbike deaths.

It will also target mature bike drivers who may have changed recently to a more powerful machine, with the attendant risks

How come these safety campaigns for bikers never target motorists and educate them of the dangers of not paying attention when bikes are around? That seems to be half the problem, the old 'He came out of no-where' excuse is still used now as much as ever.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭ogriofa

good post!
    I would like to see the stats of the % of biker deaths that were the fault of the car driver. (I know most biker deaths are 1 vehicle accidents)
    Dont get me wrong, itll be a cold day in hell before I give MORE power to the legislators, but fair weather bikers ARE a risk to themselves at the start of "the season".
    How about something like making the Guards assesment mandatory - haven't thought about it much yet. Rather than having a test, to have an assesment to get you thinking about what you're doing.
    I don't know, but ideas are neccesary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

Also our roads are feckin death traps.If they are dangerous for cars,4 times as bad for motor bikes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭JCDenton

ogriofa wrote: »
    I would like to see the stats of the % of biker deaths that were the fault of the car driver. (I know most biker deaths are 1 vehicle accidents)

I remember readin this a few years ago; but I don't recall ever seeing an Irish equivalent?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_findings_in_the_Hurt_Report

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Of course the government won't do anything about the idiotic car drivers that cause the majority of bike accidents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It may be usefull the amount of muppets out over the last few days in shorts and t-shirts just adds fuel to the fire.

But cage driver education would pay off better.

Do you think RSA will tell the governemnt that the chesse grater road dividers are highly dangerous for motorbikes:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Seems illuminated cats eyes do more to reduce accidents on some streches more than anything else.

"Over a three year period there were 22 recorded accidents, 2 of which involved loss of life, along with 6 causing serious injury and 14 others considered as minor."

In the first 2 years 2 months since the initial scheme introduction there were only 5 recorded accidents (all slight) of which none occured during darkness and only one in wet conditions.

"Accident frequency has reduced from 7.3 per yr to 2.3. Severity ratio has reduced from 36% to zero."

http://www.astucia.co.uk/Case-study-Norfolk-A143.aspx

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

bushy... wrote: »
    Seems illuminated cats eyes do more to reduce accidents on some streches more than anything else.
    url]http://www.astucia.co.uk/Case-study-Norfolk-A143.aspx[/url]

Gotta agree with that, they really are amazing on dark country roads that would be completely dark without.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

For sure , was amazed at how much of an improvement they were the first time I saw them

Advertisement