Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Douze Points

• 03-06-2009 10:34am
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭

What happens when you hit the 12 penalty point mark - I know that you are put off the road for 6 months but do the points stay and if so, what happens if you score any more whilst you still have 12?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

lol bannon tell the truth you got 12 points

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

"I'm asking for a friend" :D

Nah - simple curiosity as I've no points so fat (touch wood)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

you got away with the 1 on the quays?

think ive 12 now,

2 on saturday in blanch they had a tripod 2 today just after port tunnel white gatso

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Seem to have! Hopefully they got the guy tailgaiting behind me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

kbannon wrote: »
    I know that you are put off the road for 6 months

Not as bad as I thought so. I thought it was 12 months off the road.

They're flying the points out now in the good weather. Got 2 last Friday and a mate of mine got 2 yesterday. Speeding, as you might have guessed! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

From what I have heard very few of the people who have got 12 points have actually stopped driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 newbie1001

From what I have heard very few of the people who have got 12 points have actually stopped driving.

You know this how exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Well, assuming you didn't accumulate 12 points in one year, wouldn't you have to wait for two to go off it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

after getting 12 points your banned from driving and your license is taken off you for 6 months, when you get your license back there will be an endorsement on it saying you were banned from driving.

I dont understand what you mean LM? if you collect 12 points in a 3 year period your banned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

draffodx wrote: »
    I dont understand what you mean LM? if you collect 12 points in a 3 year period your banned

Didn't realise the endorsement.

Where I was coming from was say if you got twelve points. You are then banned for six months, but to begin driving again after that six month period you have to wait for such a time until one or two points are off you licence, via the three year period. Thus bringing you under twelve points, and thus being able to drive again.

I was only guessing though:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭glaston

kbannon wrote: »
    "I'm asking for a friend" :D

Nah - simple curiosity as I've no points so fat (touch wood)

:eek:
    Too fat to get points??
    Time to drop the Bavarian badge and get something more suitable for your poundage.. Mercedes maybe?

Didn't realise the endorsement.

Where I was coming from was say if you got twelve points. You are then banned for six months, but to begin driving again after that six month period you have to wait for such a time until one or two points are off you licence, via the three year period. Thus bringing you under twelve points, and thus being able to drive again.

I was only guessing though:o

Nope after the 6 months all your points are cleared, the endorsement is far worse than any points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

How many years does the endorsement stick about on your license? What would it do to your insurance?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

bman wrote: »
    How many years does the endorsement stick about on your license? What would it do to your insurance?

Anything more than 4 points will arouse most insurers interest, and more than likely lead to incresing penalties.

A ban for amassing 12 points is going to be very expensive. Much like a drunk driving conviction.

bman wrote: »

As far as I'm aware the endorsement remains for life.

The endorsement means insurance companies will either refuse to insure you or if they do the premium will be sky high

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

draffodx wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware the endorsement remains for life.

The endorsement means insurance companies will either refuse to insure you or if they do the premium will be sky high

It doesn't "remain for life". An endorsement has a finite term attached to it - 3 years is typical for a disqualification from driving....

Gil_Dub wrote: »
    It doesn't "remain for life". An endorsement has a finite term attached to it - 3 years is typical for a disqualification from driving....

Thanks, I wasn't sure
    Endorsements remain on your licence record for 3 years and must be notified to your insurance company when applying for motor insurance. Endorsements on your licence record will often lead to an increase in your motor insurance premium. Second or subsequent endorsements often result in disqualification from driving.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/motoring-1/driving-offences/driving_offences

A quick Google would have helped before I posted!

Advertisement