Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More FF bull**** and wastage!

Options
  • 03-06-2009 10:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭

I got 3 letters in the post today.

One was a letter from a local FF local election candidate that I hadn't entertained on my doorstep, with the letter saying "thank you and your family for meeting me recently".

Point 1 : I've no family
    Point 2 : I didn't

But point 3 : The letter was on a standard white Seanad Eireann marked envelope with a Postage Paid :eek: How the f**k is he allowed to do this ?

Also, I got two letters from Niall Collins saying "Local Election candidate ******* ****** [the guy above] has been in touch with me in relation to the following issues" ..... "I have taken up these matters with Limerick County Council".

Big f**king deal. Who are you trying to make look good, Niall ? Him or you ?

And HIS letter was in an envelope marked "Oireachtas", as if it were important and related to Friday's election, and not yet more advertising for FF.

How come we've had no letters or indication of what you've done BEFORE now (i.e. when there was no local election or general election coming up) ?

Stop wasting my tax money on letters to try to make yourself look better.

Is there any way to complain about these self-congratulating letters ? If every household got 3 today, then that's surely over a million quid's worth between printing and posting!

That's expensive recycling.

How the HELL can these guys get away with using public facilities to send out ads ? :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

So everyone is clear from the outset...

You also are as angry about junkmail/wastage from the other parties i.e. FG, SF, Labour, Greens, Indepedents?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

So everyone is clear from the outset...

You also are as angry about junkmail/wastage from the other parties i.e. FG, SF, Labour, Greens, Indepedents?;)

Yes, I think that ALL of the posters and junk mail are a complete waste.

But this was the first lot that arrived on official Seanad & Oireachtas paper! And THAT's my main objection.

The local election candidate has SFA to do with the Seanad, and should not be entitled to do it.

And if Niall Collins wants to advertise his buddy, then he should NOT camoflague it in an envelope that looks like it might be official correspondence related to Friday's election.

It's even more wrong than just receiving unwanted junk mail on a couple of levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

I always liked receiving them oireachtas envelopes. Made me feel important. Havent received one in ages, tho.

I suppose they give an advantage to those with friends or party colleagues in office, but they do serve the legitimate function of providing our elected representatives with the means of communicating with the masses.

they do serve the legitimate function of providing our elected representatives with the means of communicating with the masses.

Yes, they should do. But in this case they're not being used for that.

They're being used to advertise and give FF an advantage using our money; with the added advantage that an official looking envelope marked "Oireachtas" is going to be opened, whereas something with an FF logo on the outside would be binned.

To me, it's the equivalent of a spammer sending you an email saying "Important Information regarding your vote".

I got one this morning! I'm important again!

Yeah, you're right. But dont think that the other parties in office don't do the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Yes, they should do. But in this case they're not being used for that.

They're being used to advertise and give FF an advantage using our money; with the added advantage that an official looking envelope marked "Oireachtas" is going to be opened, whereas something with an FF logo on the outside would be binned.

To me, it's the equivalent of a spammer sending you an email saying "Important Information regarding your vote".

FG do the exact same thing...but we all know where your political allegiances lie..;)

FG do the exact same thing

If they do, they haven't done so to this address.

And whatever about the TD sending the fake official Oireachtas one, the local candidate has no basis on which to abuse the Seanad postal system.
    but we all know where your political allegiances lie..;)

Do you really ? You know way more than me, so! I've no party allegiance whatsoever.

Yes, there are a few parties whose actions have ruled them out of consideration. That's not "party allegiance", which I think is the ruination of this country as far too many people vote for parties rather than people, and far too many of those elected people can't even achieve what they want because of the stupid "party whip". I'd prefer if there were no political parties!

If a party has proven themselves corrupt/incompetent/two-faced/incompatible with my views, then that's the cause, not some blinkered "political allegiance". And however good or uncorrupt an individual candidate might be, if they haven't shouted "stop" and have lamely followed the whip, then they're implicit in the corruption/incompetence.

So of the remainder there are no parties automatically "in", in my book. I haven't even decided! Over the next day or two I'll make up my mind whether FG, Labour or an independent deserves my vote....

And whatever about the TD sending the fake official Oireachtas one, the local candidate has no basis on which to abuse the Seanad postal system.
    What do you mean by fake?

What do you mean by fake?

An FF ad / vote beg masquerading as an official correspondence.

But let's not get side-tracked too much; it certainly SEEMS to me like it's an FF TD abusing expenses and conning you into opening it; but let's take your point that there's a possibility of others doing the same (I haven't received any, but let's assume that they do/might).

So we'll temporarily leave that one go, at least until it's proven otherwise (by Friday) that no other party did it. It's wrong, but it won't be any more wrong than anyone else - if they do it too.

What about the other issue ? The fact that someone who isn't even elected and has nothing to do with the Seanad sent a postage paid letter using a Seanad envelope, postage paid by us ?

Surely that's 100% wrong ?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

If they do, they haven't done so to this address.

They do do it, why do you think they haven't kicked up a huge fuss over this over the past decade?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Did you text this into TodayFM?!

Sully wrote: »
    Did you text this into TodayFM?!

Nope, but I emailed it. Did they discuss it ?

nesf wrote: »
    They do do it, why do you think they haven't kicked up a huge fuss over this over the past decade?

OK, as I said, let's assume they do on the Niall Collins' "Oireachtas" letter part. Let's let that slide until after Friday, when I'll know if others have done it.

But do other unelected candidates from other parties send letters (not reference letters - letters "from" themselves) in "Seanad" envelopes ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Nope, but I emailed it. Did they discuss it ?

They read it out but never commented after.

OK, as I said, let's assume they do on the Niall Collins' "Oireachtas" letter part. Let's let that slide until after Friday, when I'll know if others have done it.
    Even if it doesn't happen to you by Friday, it won't change the fact that it happens. The letter I got this morning was from an independent.
    But do other unelected candidates from other parties send letters (not reference letters - letters "from" themselves) in "Seanad" envelopes ?
    Elected representitives are given a set number of envelopes to use or lose. I think it's up to them to decide what they're used for, and they can be used for anything.

Even if it doesn't happen to you by Friday, it won't change the fact that it happens. The letter I got this morning was from an independent.

Fair enough (in that it's obviously done by them all, so). But it's wrong.
    Elected representitives are given a set number of envelopes to use or lose. I think it's up to them to decide what they're used for, and they can be used for anything.

And that's DEFINITELY wrong.

Advertisement