Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you measure for cuts

Options
  • 03-06-2009 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

Started a new project over the weekend and commenced getting my timber ready. Everything cut and got ready for the next weekend. Before I finished up, I decided to run a rule over my cut wood and saw that they were not the same length - out by 2 -3 mm.

How do you achieve exact cuts when using a mitre saw? I seem to have this issue all of the time and waste a lot of time pearing the excess away.

One of the things I was looking at was this http://www.kregtool.com/products/pms/product.php?PRODUCT_ID=40. I'm sure I could build something similar, maybe not as clean & polished as this but it would work.

What do you professionals do?

D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Hi Dummy,

I have a similar set up (albeit a home made setup) to the image you linked. Seems to do the job just fine once the stop block is well secured. Failing that once I have one piece cut to lenght I'd use that as a 'measure' to mark off the other lenghts (taking into account that .5mm or so etc that marking in such a manner would give you).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

as stated by CP1066 u need something with a stop.
    I have a full blown extension stand that suits the mitre saw but a homemade version will work also as long as the stop and the saw are both well fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

If you are just looking for repeatability I have a hi-tech answer :D .... a block of wood with crisp right angles and a C-clamp. Keep the saw in a fixed position and the sawdust cleared. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭teepee

As above the only job is the g clamp and a bock of wood you cant go wrong , cause with a set meaure tape on the fence it will move .:)

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭S.L.F

I've used the block of wood and the g-cramp but it is also possible to nail all your wood together and cut it in 1 go or clamp it all together and cut it.

I when cutting 1 piece of woof use a sharp knife to mark it then cut to exactly the line.

• Advertisement
Advertisement