Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I use a netopia 2247nwg as a wireless adapter?

Options
  • 03-06-2009 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

I recently moved from eircom to ntl.

I have a netopia 2247nwg modem/router (eircom modem)
    & a Netgear Wireless-N Router WNR2000 (from ntl)

Can I use the netopia as a wireless adapter for a desktop that's located upstairs?

If possible, how would I go about setting this up?

Thanks in advance

Bob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭seedubya

No, not precisely. You may however, be able to use it as a wireless bridge. I don't have a netopia here to check but if you root around in the UI the options, if they're there, should be obvious.

The way it works is - the Netgear sends out a wireless signal, the netopia picks it up and turns it into a wired singal on the 4 rj45 ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭bobk

cool,
    Is this easy enough to do?
    Any idea where I can find instructions online?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Its not wireless bridging as such, it's client mode you need and I don't think the 2247 is capable of that. The Netopia is capable of wireless bridging in that you can connect 2 or more PCs together via the Netopia but I can't see any setting that allows you to do what you want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭comfort

I hope that this could be the end of my problem.
    I have 2 eircom modems (Netopia). One is connected to the phone line on the ground floor of my house. I want to configure (if possible) the second modem to receive the first modems signal wirelesly to allow my 2 kids PC's on the 3rd floor to receive the signal as their PC's have 2 wireless cards but the signal is still poor. What do I need to do or can I maybe put the 2nd modem on the 2nd floor and have the PC's pick up the signal from the 2nd modem. Any replies would be hugley appreciated. I know I could purchase a wireless booster but seeing as I have 2 netopia modems I though I could put the second one to good use. Thanks again.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

No, you can't.

• Advertisement
Advertisement